The Mariners are the only team in the AL with a longer pennant drought than the Orioles

TINSTAAPP

That is an extremely harsh reality that I and others of similar age have to deal with.

No it's not. Really its not. A harsh reality is not having enough food, or a good family, or a decent job, or a safe place to live. It's slightly annoying to have a sports team that hasn't won a Championship in the 25 years you've been alive.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Being robbed of our moment last year thanks to the Kansas City baseball team was as tortuous as anything any of those teams have endured. It was literally stolen from us by a group of people who didn't deserve it and still don't deserve their success. The only thing I can think of that comes close recently is the Rangers in the '11 World Series.

Sour grapes. That doesn't look good on Oriole fans.

We differ in how much we value certain things. Nothing wrong with that.

If my kids valued things like you apparently do I'd be sorely disappointed and assume that I'd failed as a parent.

They won it purely on luck. They were a mediocre at best team managed by a guy who is lucky to have the brain capacity of a fly. That was supposed to be our tile and they stole it from us.

That's what the playoffs are. If the O's win it luck will play a significant factor. As much as I dislike the Royals, they're mildly sports evil, which isn't anything like really being evil. You seem to have problems telling those things apart.

A 32 year world series championship drought (counting this season) isn't that unreasonable given that there are 30 teams in baseball. A 32 year world series appearance drought is a little tougher to swallow. The point of the OP is that in the American League, only the Mariners have gone longer (in their case, their whole history) without a World Series appearance. Every other AL team has won the pennant since the last time the Orioles did. KC has won 2 of them, Detroit 3 of them, Toronto 2, and the list goes on. The Royals had a massive playoff appearance drought, but they did win the World Series 2 years after we did and they swept their way into the World Series last year. Until the World Series, they had zero painful playoff losses. We had....Armando Benitez. The Mariners tried to go for it this offseason and it just didn't work. We tried to get worse this offseason by doing nothing and it did work. Baseball is a funny game.

A 32 year world series championship drought (counting this season) isn't that unreasonable given that there are 30 teams in baseball.

We have a 30-team league with only one real trophy. Might suck, but on average you only get 2-3 in your life. Big feature of soccer leagues is that they're usually smaller than 30 teams and they have multiple cups, championships, and other stuff to compete for every year. Baseball could learn something from that.

They won it purely on luck. They were a mediocre at best team managed by a guy who is lucky to have the brain capacity of a fly. That was supposed to be our tile and they stole it from us.

It was pure luck that they swept all four games from us? They outplayed us, got some timely hits, and shut us down when they needed to. Unless they dropped on guywires from the ceiling, Mission Impossible-style, and heisted our AL Pennant from the Club Level of the stadium, they didn't steal anything from us. It just hurt to learn that we weren't destiny's team after such an amazing regular season and a great ALDS. But this wasn't a series purely hinging on one terrible call. They simply beat us, 4 games to none, and it really hurt to watch. Nothing more.

I dint understand why you're taking such umbrage at what I said. You cannot relate to those of us born after '83 or were too young to remember '83. Regardless of what I accomplish, the places I go, or the things I do, I'll always have the regret of never being able to see the Orioles win the World Series. That is an extremely harsh reality that I and others of similar age have to deal with. I don't get why the way I live my life is such an issue. I'm not wired in such a way that makes me able to just watch the Orioles play and not care if they win or not. I care, sorry.

Oh I want the O's to win. I just don't let a loss upset me.

The Royals had a cyborg bullpen that obviously had little to do with luck...and they had great speed and played solid defense (also not luck). Beyond that though, they had an inordinate amount of what I would consider to be pretty flukey hits and they were also unusually healthy for a team playing in October. Sometimes, your champions in sports (like the Warriors) are simply the healthiest team left....which is pure luck. We were done after the Gordon homer anyway.

Because I want to see the Orioles win? I'm sorry, but I cannot turn myself into a a person who just watches for entertainment and doesn't care if they lose or not. Even if I wanted to, I can't change that.

There is a massive, fundamental difference between caring if they win or not, and having the Orioles be the thing that decides if your life is a failure or a success. I want the Orioles to win every night, and I am not happy when they lose. But it's just sports, it's not life and death and God and family and country.

Stolen? When was it ours? Why do we have any more claim to it than the Royals and their fans, who went even longer between playoff appearances than the Orioles?

The Royals were the better team. I never really felt that we were good enough to win the WS in 2014, although we had a shot.

1997, on the other hand, we were robbed! The Vizquel squeeze play was clearly a foul. Then Benitez was squeezed on the Thome AB that set up Fernandez. And everyone in the world knew that we were going to crush Florida if we got past Cleveland.

I have been following baseball long enough to know there are people on the "caring" spectrum above and below me -- I believe the extent to which they care, or the level of import they place on the sport, isn't any of my business. I'm glad we have folks here that take a different approach and are willing and able to reach out and tell everyone else 1. exactly what it is they should care about and 2. the extent to which they should care.

You're right. He has the right to care as much as he wants. If he was your son or your good friend, you wouldn't want to offer some advice about priorities when he discusses his "burden" and projects it out 40+ years? I'm not saying he isn't allowed to care this much, but I don't think saying he is hyperbolizing is either controversial or out of line. You do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I view my responsibilities to my son/close friends slightly differently than I do strangers on the internet. I don't have an issue with adding to a convo by pointing out "things aren't so bad" -- talking down to or saying "If my kids valued things like you apparently do I'd be sorely disappointed and assume that I'd failed as a parent" seems over the top and the epitome of "I have this life thing figured out; if only you did too." Just seems unnecessarily personal.

I realize the irony of me even taking time to type this out. I just get worn down sometimes seeing our society continue to move towards a place where intelligent people continually feel more and more like they have all the answers and it's their duty to lecture everyone else that doesn't share the exact same views on every issue. Blanket statement; not directed at your posting -- I liked the tone of your initial post and the reference to Jones!

Fair enough. I agree with what you're saying. I certainly wasn't trying to imply I had everything figured out, but I agree it can come across that way.

I am certainly libertarian in my approach to what laws should and shouldn't exist. I don't like societal pressure and controlling others, but I do try to provide perspective and leadership in smaller groups with people that I think want to hear the message and that I care about. I grant you that I probably went over that line with Steve (in other words, he probably doesn't want to hear it).

Steve, apologies, it came from a good place. Won't happen again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dude, you are too nice. I don't think you needed to apologize or anything. Now you got me feeling bad, haha.

Also, I applaud both the libertarian thoughts and the desire to lead in smaller groups. The world needs more people with that mindset. Keep doing your thing.

Because I want to see the Orioles win? I'm sorry, but I cannot turn myself into a a person who just watches for entertainment and doesn't care if they lose or not. Even if I wanted to, I can't change that.
Either your sense of proportion is severely skewed, if you value a successful sports team over food, clothing,. shelter, safety and health for your family, or you are full of BS.

Archived