The Mariners are the only team in the AL with a longer pennant drought than the Orioles

TINSTAAPP

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Adam is fantastic. I wish the team had assets to trade to help build around him. I'd like to see him and Manny with a strong supporting cast for the next three years.

Like this team? Perhaps going for the jugular with Chapman (moving Storen to 8th inning)?

http://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2015/07/trade-rumors-and-anthony-rendon-nearing-return.html

I would love to see Chapman.

I view my responsibilities to my son/close friends slightly differently than I do strangers on the internet. I don't have an issue with adding to a convo by pointing out "things aren't so bad" -- talking down to or saying "If my kids valued things like you apparently do I'd be sorely disappointed and assume that I'd failed as a parent" seems over the top and the epitome of "I have this life thing figured out; if only you did too." Just seems unnecessarily personal.

I realize the irony of me even taking time to type this out. I just get worn down sometimes seeing our society continue to move towards a place where intelligent people continually feel more and more like they have all the answers and it's their duty to lecture everyone else that doesn't share the exact same views on every issue. Blanket statement; not directed at your posting -- I liked the tone of your initial post and the reference to Jones!

Maybe my post was a little over-the-top. If he wants to wallow in his own little hell that's his right. But I think I also was seeing this as folks demanding the Orioles reach and maintain some level of performance, including winning a World Series on some kind of schedule in order to complete the basic requirements of the lives of their fans. Duquette isn't just trying to do his job and build the best team he can. He's holding the very success and failure of the lives of the fans in his hands. Which I think is more than a little skewed.

Maybe my post was a little over-the-top. If he wants to wallow in his own little hell that's his right. But I think I also was seeing this as folks demanding the Orioles reach and maintain some level of performance, including winning a World Series on some kind of schedule in order to complete the basic requirements of the lives of their fans. Duquette isn't just trying to do his job and build the best team he can. He's holding the very success and failure of the lives of the fans in his hands. Which I think is more than a little skewed.

I don't think Duquette feels that burden. There are people across the country who have varying levels of happiness in their lives, and varying levels of access to happiness, or connections to groups or "family" larger than themselves. I don't know the vast majority of posters here so I'm not projecting on them -- but as a general matter sports are an area where even folks who have limited to no friends/family can find a sense of camaraderie and belonging as part of a fan base. That seems silly to those who enjoy richer experiences in other aspects of our lives, but it doesn't make the emotional connection of that individual any less valid or real.

As a general matter I don't disagree with you. I guess I just get a little squeamish thinking about berating someone for caring too much when it's not an impossibility that particular person could have lots of bad going on their life, with baseball being an escape that's more important to them than I could appreciate coming from my current situation.

I'm really not trolling you -- knowing the little I know you I think you are better than resorting to personal attacks, and particularly attacks that go directly to someone's sense of self worth.

Too heavy? Yeah, probably too heavy. Oh well...

I know you weren't referring to me specifically, but I just want to clear up any notions that I'm some clinically depressed crazy person. I'm completely happy with my life. I have a great family and friends. I'm just passionate about sports. Not the the point where I'm an Alabama fan poisoning trees on Auburn's campus, but sometimes yes, my mood goes as the Orioles go. I'm single and don't have kids, so watching/reading about/talking about sports makes up an extremely large portion of my life.

Yeah, that's why I wanted to try and be sure that I wasn't inferring you needed to be handled with kids gloves. I guess at my advancing age I have less tolerance for unnecessary cruelty when it comes to personal attacks, and it's far too prevalent online.

Not sure why I bother because no matter what I say, you're going to interpret it the way that makes me look bad. I could say 2+2=4 and you'd interpret it as 2+2=817 so you can neg rep me and make me look like I'm something I'm not. I value my happiness as much as the things you listed, and I will never be completely happy unless the Orioles win a World Series. It will be one of the biggest regrets of my life when I'm on my deathbed. I'd be just as regretful if I never get married/have kids/live where I want.

Again, you're implying things that I never said. I just want ONE. I don't care if they go 0-162 every year after. I don't care if I never see Man City, Duke, Florida, the Flyers, or the Ravens win anything again after that. Sports are my passion, baseball is my favorite sport, and the Orioles are my favorite team. You're literally criticizing me for wanting to see them win. There is more than one way to be a sports fan, and there's certainly more than one way to live life.

This post proves my point. Either you are in deep denial, and seriously in need of professional help, or you are just trying to CYA after saying something so hyperbolically silly that you can't back off. I have been an O's fan for 60 years, but my happiness does not depend on their success. I have a life outside the O's, as much as they are a part of it.

I'm single and don't have kids, so watching/reading about/talking about sports makes up an extremely large portion of my life.

This was me in 1997, which is why I still can't get over how those playoffs ended. I lived and breathed the Os at that time and it was devastating to not win the title that year. Now I am married with two kids and while I am much better at separating from the wins/losses, last year's ALCS was so awful because it literally took me back to 1997. I just had no idea our window was going to shut for so long. And I fear it again honestly.

And I completely agree with the one title thing. I really want the one World Series win, and I am willing to stink for another 10+ years just to have that one year as the champs. It would mean so much to see us holding that trophy again.

Again, you're implying things that I never said. I just want ONE. I don't care if they go 0-162 every year after. I don't care if I never see Man City, Duke, Florida, the Flyers, or the Ravens win anything again after that. Sports are my passion, baseball is my favorite sport, and the Orioles are my favorite team. You're literally criticizing me for wanting to see them win. There is more than one way to be a sports fan, and there's certainly more than one way to live life.

You can be whatever kind of fan you like. I'm just going to back away from this one. Maybe this hits a little too close to home since I was a more over-the-top fan when I was younger, getting really irate about losses, and really finding it hard to come to grips with lack of success. And I look back at my younger self and wonder what I was doing, why I was being so ridiculous. I'm sure I projected those experiences onto you. I hope you get enjoyment out of following the O's, in whatever form that may be.

After this year we're looking at another bad stretch of 5-10 years.

I don't think that's a reasonable assessment of the time required to turn over a franchise. Just look at history. Multiple teams have gone from ground-zero, history-less expansion teams to a World Series in less than a decade.

I don't think that's a reasonable assessment of the time required to turn over a franchise. Just look at history. Multiple teams have gone from ground-zero, history-less expansion teams to a World Series in less than a decade.

Actually, its been done 11 times.

The first time, was 1991, and both teams did it, the Braves and the Twins.

Only one team has gone worst to World Series champions.

Actually, its been done 11 times.

The first time, was 1991, and both teams did it, the Braves and the Twins.

Only one team has gone worst to World Series champions.

I said expansion teams, I think you're saying last-to-first. The definition of last place has changed a lot since divisions were instituted. Last place doesn't really mean much now that it's possible to finish in last place with the 6th or 8th best record in a 15-team league.

I said expansion teams, I think you're saying last-to-first. The definition of last place has changed a lot since divisions were instituted. Last place doesn't really mean much now that it's possible to finish in last place with the 6th or 8th best record in a 15-team league.

My apologies. I read that wrong.

I should know better than to read this board when the team is any kind of slump, because it's filled but nothing but self-wallowing, grandstanding, whining for the sake of whining and self-depression garbage like this. Looks like I need to actually follow my own advice and stay away for a while.

This was me in 1997, which is why I still can't get over how those playoffs ended. I lived and breathed the Os at that time and it was devastating to not win the title that year. Now I am married with two kids and while I am much better at separating from the wins/losses, last year's ALCS was so awful because it literally took me back to 1997. I just had no idea our window was going to shut for so long. And I fear it again honestly.

And I completely agree with the one title thing. I really want the one World Series win, and I am willing to stink for another 10+ years just to have that one year as the champs. It would mean so much to see us holding that trophy again.

This is how I was in 1997. It ripped me up that we lost to a team that didn't even win 90 games in the playoffs. After the first loss last year to the Royals I got the sinking feeling of history repeating itself. But yet I didn't take it near as bad. I think your priorities change as you get older.

Next time the O's get into an ALCS against a sub 90 win team. I'm calling in a bet to Vegas on said sub 90 win team to beat the O's. I'll either be happy or well paid for the loss. :D

Archived