The Duquette Conundrum

mdbdotcom

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but most of the drop-offs from the hitters aren't surprising at all. These guys are good examples of why stats shouldn't be the only way to measure a player's value before the season starts and that's why I was so skeptical before the season started. Concerns about these guys could be identified by watching them play and recognizing their limitations (De Aza, Snider, Wieters). Pearce played well last year but it was unreasonable to expect him to put up similar numbers this year.

actually watching these guys play and recognizing their limitations

The dropoff isn't from the previous year, it's from their career. showing their stat from the previous year. And De Aza has been very good with the Red Sox.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"We may make some trades, but anything that we do we’re gonna try and improve our ballclub for this year."

Dan. Today.

With this type of market we could pick up a LF and a SP and not doom our franchise. I don't need to have a huge name like Upton. I'd be happy with Parra, Haren and Marlon Byrd.

I concur. The corner outfielder replacements are unacceptable. Don't sign Cruz, I get it but at least find a more viable solution than the crap we have in corner outfield positions

I would have signed Cruz. The argument for an aged PED augmented DH only in the AL East has won me over. It would have been a good deal. I was using my head when I should have just succumbed to my heart. It would have worked.

I would have signed Cruz. The argument for an aged PED augmented DH only in the AL East has won me over. It would have been a good deal. I was using my head when I should have just succumbed to my heart. It would have worked.

I expect Cruz to regress next season, just wasn't worth the term he got.

Still not an excuse for not finding replacement

Yeah I get that but we still have crap in the RF and LF and it has killed the Os this season IMO

The "crap," as you like to call it, has under-performed compared to their career averages. This crap is now worse than the Nate McClouth crap. And, they have had nothing to do with Norris and Tillman pitching like crap.

The "crap," as you like to call it, has under-performed compared to their career averages. This crap is now worse than the Nate McClouth crap. And, they have had nothing to do with Norris and Tillman pitching like crap.

I've noticed more offensive production from outfield issues than pitching problems tbh...outfield is the most pressing need.

Nate may have been crap in Atlanta and Pittsburgh but he totally produced when he was here. Clutch performer when with Os.

Snider has been crap

Parmelee is crap

Pearce regressed

Lough utility guy who has been more clutch than the aforementioned 3

There's no conundrum for me. Fire Duquette and hire a bright young baseball mind from the Giants, Cardinals or Rays who can rebuild this farm system and develop a sustainable strategy for winning.

Fire. A favorite word of yours.

I've noticed more offensive production from outfield issues than pitching problems tbh...outfield is the most pressing need.

Nate may have been crap in Atlanta and Pittsburgh but he totally produced when he was here. Clutch performer when with Os.

Snider has been crap

Parmelee is crap

Pearce regressed

Lough utility guy who has been more clutch than the aforementioned 3

Yes, McClouth was crappy elsewhere and came to life for the O's. And last year, De Aza was crappy with the White Sox but a contributor with the O's.

Pearce has done more than regress. He is below his career norms. DD bet that at least one of those guys would come through. He lost his bet, though De Aza has been fine with the Red Sox.

You cannot over-emphasize the bad pitching. It was the pitching coming around last year that turned the season around.

There's no conundrum for me. Fire Duquette and hire a bright young baseball mind from the Giants, Cardinals or Rays who can rebuild this farm system and develop a sustainable strategy for winning.

Because that is so easy. Everyone is doing it!

Archived