Orioles trade Davies for Parra. Your verdict?

PaulFolk

Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?

• I approve. A small price to pay to fix the O's OF hole with a quality veteran.
    • I disapprove. The O's gave up up a pitching prospect for a rental who won't move the needle.

This poll is closed to new votes

I haven't seen any explanation for the decline in his defense. (I'm guessing it's not all a statistical anomaly -- he just doesn't look like a real good fielder.) Has anybody offered one?

The only thing I've seen is that he spent most of his time in LF this season with Milwaukee, whereas he was primarily a RF in Arizona, where his arm is a bigger factor.

The talk surrounding Parra has me thinking, there seems to be an overall dearth of high quality corner OF out there. So I looked at the AL:

Brett Gardner

Carlos Beltran (at age 38)

Jose Bautista

Alex Gordon

J.D. Martinez

Michael Brantley

George Springer

Kole Calhoun

Nelson Cruz

Josh Reddick

That's ten split among 15 teams that are everyday corner OF you can count on. Three of those are 34 and older (Bautista, Cruz, Beltran). Not too bad I guess. But a guy like Melky Cabrera (.280/.320/.402, 104 OPS+ and poor defense) has value. Heck, Travis Snider supposedly had over a win's worth of value with the Orioles. That's the environment Parra goes into free agency with.

Urrutia doesn't appear to be much better - probably worse on D and Alvarez has that ole "swing and miss" propensity. What does a GM do? Sign Parra and be berated daily for four years? :scratchchinhmm:

The only thing I've seen is that he spent most of his time in LF this season with Milwaukee, whereas he was primarily a RF in Arizona, where his arm is a bigger factor.

That can't be the difference. He literally has had a 55 (!) run swing in his UZR/150 over the past three years. I wouldn't expect a 55-run swing if he'd shifted from LF to 3B. Lefthanded.

Was watching the SNY feed yesterday. Mets announcers were really surprised how little the Orioles had to give up to get Parra. Though he was impressive in every facet of the game and wonder what the difference in impact would be between Parra and Cespedes.

If Parra continues to OPS .826 for the Orioles, and that's a big if... about the same. And the Orioles did give up less than the Mets.

I think that some of you take statistics wayyyyy too seriously. Parra clearly brings an element to the team that they lacked, just watch the guy play. Travis Snider and all of the other platoon players were difficult to watch and they weren't getting the job done. The fact that Snider had 1 win of value illustrates how comical sabermetrics can be.

Parra is just a must resign at this point. He brings those intangibles that we have missed this year after letting Markakis go. The guy hits to all fields and doesn't have a major defect in his swing or strike zone judgement. He's the least flawed hitter we have. Davis, Parra and O'day are invaluable to this team. MW can be replaced, and has been replaced. Chen isn't going to be worth what we would have to give him with him pitching in the AL East. He'll be worth his huge deal he is going to the get, if he goes to a team with a big ballpark, NL West teams.

Parra is just a must resign at this point. He brings those intangibles that we have missed this year after letting Markakis go. The guy hits to all fields and doesn't have a major defect in his swing or strike zone judgement. He's the least flawed hitter we have. Davis, Parra and O'day are invaluable to this team. MW can be replaced, and has been replaced. Chen isn't going to be worth what we would have to give him with him pitching in the AL East. He'll be worth his huge deal he is going to the get, if he goes to a team with a big ballpark, NL West teams.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=8553&position=OF#platediscipline

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=11493&position=3B#platediscipline

I haven't seen any explanation for the decline in his defense. (I'm guessing it's not all a statistical anomaly -- he just doesn't look like a real good fielder.) Has anybody offered one?

There's not because it isn't an anomaly.

His arm is ok by any measure and it certainly doesn't look to be strong. It's not close between him and Alvarez. And since they brought him up....

Davies' first five starts for Colorado Springs: 1-2, 5.00 ERA, 1.85 WHIP. Welcome to the PCL.

Why do we still look at this as a trade of Davies for Parra.

As I said at the time of the trade, trading for Parra made no difference, we miss the playoffs either way.

Having Parra makes almost zero difference in whether we sign him or another FA.

We should have Davies in the organization and be looking to sign the best fit for corner OF.

The trade was just another in a long list of DD fails.

I like what I've seen from Parra. I don't think he's a must resign and doubt he's the guy I'm willing to overpay. But here's the thing....a lot depend on the other completed moves this offseason.

I feel the same way about bringing back Davis and Chen. The real question is what difference makers will the Orioles be in on.

IMO they need 2 starting corner outfielders, 1B, a solid hitting/fielding 4th OF, And if you let Chen walk a LH SP.

If they allow all of the current group to walk and replace them with more AAAA, Snider/Lough types (able to thrive in limited NL roles but are overmatched in starting AL east roles). Then I'd be disappointed about the team letting Chen, Davis, and Parra walk.

I'm pretty convinced that the Os are going to do just that and I wanted this non playoff caliber team to sell at the deadline. Even if the Orioles make the last wild card they don't have the team to go far IMO.

I like what I've seen from Parra. I don't think he's a must resign and doubt he's the guy I'm willing to overpay. But here's the thing....a lot depend on the other completed moves this offseason.

I feel the same way about bringing back Davis and Chen. The real question is what difference makers will the Orioles be in on.

IMO they need 2 starting corner outfielders, 1B, a solid hitting/fielding 4th OF, And if you let Chen walk a LH SP.

If they allow all of the current group to walk and replace them with more AAAA, Snider/Lough types (able to thrive in limited NL roles but are overmatched in starting AL east roles). Then I'd be disappointed about the team letting Chen, Davis, and Parra walk.

I'm pretty convinced that the Os are going to do just that and I wanted this non playoff caliber team to sell at the deadline. Even if the Orioles make the last wild card they don't have the team to go far IMO.

If Chen walks you need at least 2 new SP's, and although people seem to not want to admit it, we need a starting SS

so as I see it we can't get there with our FA budget, we should go into full re-build mode and play with an 80M or less payroll until we develop some young cost controlled talent to fill in the holes in the roster.