When Will Ryan Flaherty Get a Hit Again?

Rene88

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You don't get it, you don't get good utility players that can hit. If they could they wouldn't be utility players. And why waste an extra slot on the 25 man to replace one role player with two. How many PA per season are we talking about? Since the ASB Flash as played in 11 G for 38 PA. That's hardly enough AB to have much of an effect on the outcomes, but I bet his glove has contributed to a few RS. If Parmelee had been any good Flaherty would have got even less playing time. People keep saying he can't hit but he does, just not consistently. He isn't a full time starter. Basically he goes o for, and people want his head. Just more reactionary stupidity.This team has a lot more to worry about than finding a better utility IF.

Actually I do get it. And when Ryan starts thats an automatic 3 outs (maybe 4) out of 27 for the game.

That can not happen.

I know you are being sarcastic but there just has to be someone out there better than Ryan.

Probably not one that can play so many positions. But Ryan is a AAAA player at best AND can not hit!

I just think there has to be a time where you cut bait and move on. Will it take 2 players to replace Ryan's defense? Probably. But how do other teams handle this situation?

The problem isn't Ryan, it's Buck playing Ryan at first base and Davis in the outfield. If Ryan was being used to provide the occasional breather for Schoop, Hardy and Machado then there wouldn't be a problem.

He'll probably hit a homer in the ALDS.

Hopefully but right now he can't hit a 2-0 fastball. With Schoop coming back and being on fire, it might be best for him to go down to Norfolk and get some consistent AB's. If an emergency pops us we know we have him. Plus we have a few backup plans for in game injuries.

If Schoop gets hurt:

1. Parades goes to 2nd

2. Davis to 3rd, Machado or Hardy covers 2nd

If Hardy gets hurt:

1. Schoop to SS, Parades to 2nd

2. Machado to SS, Davis or Parades to 3rd

If Manny gets hurt:

1. Parades to 3rd

2. Davis to 3rd

So I don't buy the what if an injury happens in the 3rd inning of a game argument. We could just go with the fallback options above and then call up Flaherty the next day.

The problem isn't Ryan, it's Buck playing Ryan at first base and Davis in the outfield. If Ryan was being used to provide the occasional breather for Schoop, Hardy and Machado then there wouldn't be a problem.

I actually agree with this. Mostly - But I have no problem with Chris Davis in RF. He is a wonderful athlete.

Last night was only the second time since Parra has been acquired that Davis has played in the outfield. In Parra's first game on August 1 Weiters started at first base and Flaherty ran for him late in the game and finished the game at first base. Davis started the next five games at first base. IMO, Schoop getting hot has kept Flaherry tethered to the bench the last week or so. I doubt that Machado is going to get many days off at this point, and unless hardy gets dinged up he'll be playing short. Showalter started Flaherty at first to give him some AB's. Flaherty looked like a guy who has not seen live pitching in a week or so. His value is his ability to spell the infielders that you have listed. IMO, anything that he contributes at the plate is a bonus.

Last night was only the second time since Parra has been acquired that Davis has played in the outfield. In Parra's first game on August 1 Weiters started at first base and Flaherty ran for him late in the game and finished the game at first base. Davis started the next five games at first base. IMO, Schoop getting hot has kept Flaherry tethered to the bench the last week or so. I doubt that Machado is going to get many days off at this point, and unless hardy gets dinged up he'll be playing short. Showalter started Flaherty at first to give him some AB's. Flaherty looked like a guy who has not seen live pitching in a week or so. His value is his ability to spell the infielders that you have listed. IMO, anything that he contributes at the plate is a bonus.

Flaherty looked like a guy who has a career OPS of 645.

And yes he would have more value if Buck would rest his infield every now and then.

Though is correct IMO, it is much too subtle for some minds to grasp.

Though is correct IMO, it is much too subtle for some minds to grasp.

Not really, anyone here is smart enough to know that Flaherty is a proven lousy major league hitter, and his only value is his ability to play adequate defense at a wide variety of position when necessary. If he is in the lineup every day it isn't good.

I get Buck loves good defense but what is his obsession with playing Flaherty so much. 1-2x a week I'd understand but it seems to me Buck wants Flaherty to be an everyday player.

Flash have naked pictures of Buck? Something has to give.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get Buck loves good defense but what is his obsession with playing Flaherty so much. 1-2x a week I'd understand but it seems to me Buck wants Flaherty to be an everyday player.

Flash have naked pictures of Buck? Something has to give.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see any indication that Buck wants to play Flaherty everyday considering he's been a part time player since Schoop has been back.

With that said, I don't think Flaherty should even be playing one time a week. Until we get to September I'd like to see Chris Davis at 1B almost everyday with Reimold getting three to four starts a week, Lough one start a week, and Wieters one to two starts at 1B with Davis in RF. Our roster has enough flexibility that Flaherty doesn't need to be getting in the game. If you want to bring him as a defensive replacement or pinch runner, fine. But right now, he is just there in case an IF goes down to injury.

You can make an argument for Flaherty being here (except playing first base). But Lough???I don't buy defensive replacement. The guy has 1 double and 1 triple. Strikes out the first 3 times at bat, grounds out the 4th. Does he maybe try something different, like lay down a bunt when he leads off an inning. Parmalee has more upside than Lough IMO.

Archived