STARTING PITCHING: Potential Help from AAA-Norfolk and AA-Bowie

OFFNY

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

The sad part is all the guys mentioned might be better than Gonzo right now.

Why is that sad ???

Gonzalez is struggling badly right now. The whole point of bringing somebody up to help at this point would be because they would presumably be better options than what we have right now.

It would be sad if Gonzalez was getting whaled on like he has been and we DIDN'T have any better options.

Bud was great last year ... Lincecum was great until he wasn't ... CLiff Lee ...

I'm not suggesting that those 4 pitchers are necessarily better long-term options that Gonzalez and/or that Gonzalez will not eventually regain his form that has seen him consistently pitch well since 2012.

But in his last 11 starts, Gonzalez has an ERA of 6.48 and a WHIP of 1.629. Something is clearly wrong with him, and because of the very tenuous position that we are currently in in the standings, time is not on our side.

We need help, and we need help now. If any of those pitchers can pitch at least reasonably well for a few spot starts to tide us over until the September call-ups, then I see no reason not to go with one of them.

Prove me wrong tonight, Miguel.

I think that we need help.

Miranda and Doyle both pitched tonight.

Gunkel pitched on Sunday, and Jones has not pitched since Thursday.

Of the 4, I would rather save Gunkel, and use one of the other 3. I'm most hopeful long-term about Gunkel (and perhaps Miranda) than I am about Jones or Doyle, hence I would rather bring him up when he is ready, not out of desperation.

Gonzalez is back.

He will be pitching against the Blue Jays on Tuesday.

I would love to see Miguel pitch well, and show that his (previously) horrible pitching prior to getting DL's was due to injury.

I'm still not happy about him not accepting that he was hurt and shutting it down earlier, though. Why injured pitchers historically (Gonzalez is far from alone in this category) insist on continuing to pitch when they know that their W-L record, ERA, and WHIP will suffer badly, I'll never understand.

Gonzalez is back.

He will be pitching against the Blue Jays on Tuesday.

I would love to see Miguel pitch well, and show that his (previously) horrible pitching prior to getting DL's was due to injury.

I'm still not happy about him not accepting that he was hurt and shutting it down earlier, though. Why injured pitchers historically (Gonzalez is far from alone in this category) insist on continuing to pitch when they know that their W-L record, ERA, and WHIP will suffer badly, I'll never understand.

...because if you are someone like Gonzalez, a fringe type starter, you always have to worry about the next man up or phenom (no such problem with this organization) taking your spot for good and relegating you to the bullpen. :cool:

And pitching injured helped his overall cause and/or his contract negotiations for next season ???

Also, Gonzalez has been an established, solid starter in the Orioles' rotation since 2012. He's not exactly "fringe" on this team.

...because if you are someone like Gonzalez, a fringe type starter, you always have to worry about the next man up or phenom (no such problem with this organization) taking your spot for good and relegating you to the bullpen:cool:

Not to mention the competition coming from high-priced free agents that may be acquired during the off-season.

• 3 months later...

I'm still optimistic about Gunkel and Miranda ...... but probably not until 2017 for Gunkel, and not until at least mid-to-late-season of 2016 for Miranda.

• 2 weeks later...

Can we open a 40 man spot?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Man, Jesse Biddle DFAed by <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Phillies?src=hash">#Phillies</a>. His 16K game against Harrisbug in '13 still stands as the most dominant performance I've seen in MiLB.</p>— Josh Norris (@jnorris427) <a href="

">January 29, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• 2 months later...

Chris Jones has been traded to the Angels for outfielder Nataneal Delgado and infielder Erick Salcedo.

Salcedo played at 4 different levels last year ...... Regular A, Advanced-A, AA, and AAA.

Delgado hit 6 HR's and batted .241 with an OBP of .276 at Regular A Burlington last year.

https://twitter.com/masnRoch?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

• 2 weeks later...
o

OOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo (APRIL 11th)

OOOOOOoooooo 456068.jpgOOOOOO VS. OOOOOO 664641.jpg

http://www.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t568

o

14 OUTS: 6 Strikeouts, 3 Popouts, 3 Flyouts, 2 Groundouts

ARIEL MIRANDA GIL O(vs. AAA-Gwinnett, 4/11)

IP:l 4.67

H:;; 6 ll(5 Singles, 1 Double)

R:l) 1

BB: 2

SO: 6

Pitches: 78 (47 Strikes, 31 Balls)

2016 ERA: 1.93 (AAA-Norfolk)

PITCHES BY INNING

21 (13 Strikes, 8 Balls)

14 (71 Strikes, 7 Balls)

10 (61 Strikes, 4 Balls)

19 (12 Strikes, 7 Balls)

14 (91 Strikes, 5 Balls) *

* Miranda recorded 2 outs before departing in the 5th inning.

o

Gunkel retired the first 11 batters that he faced.

He had 5.67 shutout innings until a 2-run home run broke his scoreless string.

17 OUTS: 5 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 4 Strikeouts, 3 Flyouts, 3 Lineouts, 1 Popout

J.D. GUNKEL O (vs. AA-Akron, 4/13)

IP:l 5.67

H:;; 4 l(1 Home Run, 1 Triple, 2 Singles)

R:l) 3

ER:)2

BB: 1

SO: 4

Pitches: 90 (62 Strikes, 28 Balls)

2015 ERA: 3.38 l(AA-Bowie)

PITCHES BY INNING

81 (71 Strikes, 1 Balls)

15 (91 Strikes, 6 Balls)

13 (10 Strikes, 3 Balls)

19 (13 Strikes, 6 Balls)

11 (71 Strikes, 4 Balls)

24 (16 Strikes, 8 Balls) *

* Gunkel recorded 2 outs before departing in the 6th inning.

o

Gunkel retired the first 11 batters that he faced.

He had 5.67 shutout innings until a 2-run home run broke his scoreless string.

17 OUTS: 5 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 4 Strikeouts, 3 Flyouts, 3 Lineouts, 1 Popout

J.D. GUNKEL O (vs. AA-Akron, 4/13)

IP:l 5.67

H:;; 4 l(1 Home Run, 1 Triple, 2 Singles)

ER:)2

Pitches: 90 (62 Strikes, 28 Balls)

2015 ERA: 3.38 l(AA-Bowie)

PITCHES BY INNING

81 (71 Strikes, 1 Balls)

15 (91 Strikes, 6 Balls)

13 (10 Strikes, 3 Balls)

19 (13 Strikes, 6 Balls)

11 (71 Strikes, 4 Balls)

24 (16 Strikes, 8 Balls) *

* Gunkel recorded 2 outs before departing in the 6th inning.

Looks like he'll be in Norfolk sooner than I thought

o

Miranda got 11 outs from the final 10 batters that he faced ...... 2 double plays, while ceding only a walk.

18 OUTS: 8 Flyouts, 4 Groundouts (Including 2 Double Plays), 2 Strikeouts, 2 Popouts

ARIEL MIRANDA GIL O (vs. AAA-Gwinnett, 4/17)

IP:l 6

H:;; 5 ll(1 Triple, 1 Double, 3 Singles)

R:l) 4

BB: 2 *

SO: 2

Pitches: 78 (54 Strikes, 24 Balls)

2016 ERA: 4.22 (AAA-Norfolk)

* Miranda also had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

81 (71 Strikes, 1 Balls)

27 (18 Strikes, 9 Balls)

12 (10 Strikes, 2 Balls)

11 (81 Strikes, 3 Balls)

10 (81 Strikes, 2 Balls)

10 (31 Strikes, 7 Balls)

• 2 weeks later...

o

This was Gunkel's career AAA debut.

He's not on the 40-man roster, and I think that he still has a way to go before the Orioles consider calling on him ...... but it was his career debut at the AAA level, and it was a good one.

1 earned run over 5.33 innings.

16 OUTS: 5 Groundouts, 4 Strikeouts, 3 Flyouts, 2 Popouts, 2 Lineouts

J.D. GUNKEL O (vs. AAA-Indianapolis, 5/01)

IP:l 5.33

H:;; 3 l(1 Double, 2 Singles)

ER:)1

Pitches: 88 (58 Strikes, 30 Balls)

2015 ERA: 1.69 l(AAA-Norfolk)

PITCHES BY INNING

13 (91 Strikes, 41 Balls)

33 (22 Strikes, 11 Balls)

15 (81 Strikes, 71 Balls)

81 (61 Strikes, 21 Balls)

11 (81 Strikes, 31 Balls)

81 (51 Strikes, 31 Balls) *

* Gunkel recorded 1 out before departing in the 6th inning.

Archived