Has Buck lost control of the clubhouse (and his senses)?

webbrick2010

It is fairly surprising. It's like you flipped a coin 7 times and it came up tails all 7. There's a one out of 128 chance of that happening.

I said that it was moderately surprising, more so surprising than the Indians beating the Yankees 5 out of 7 times.

Hence, it is a surprise when a 2-9 team beats a 9-2 team. In baseball, it is not particularly shocking when a team like the Indians takes 5 out of 7 games from the Yankees, and only moderately surprising when a team like the Orioles loses all 7 games to a team like the Twins, each of whom were not that far apart in terms of their overall record in the first place.

Although the Twins and the Orioles are fairly matched, I don't believe that the odds of one team going 7-0 against the other are the same as flipping a coin.

Perhaps it's like a 1 in 25 chance, or a 1 in 50 chance.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

By the way, one of the craziest head-to-head swings in terms of head-on play for a season in my lifetime was the 1988 Dodgers and the 1988 Mets.

In the regular season, the Mets beat the Dodgers 10 out of 11 times:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/LAD/1988-schedule-scores.shtml

When they met in the N.L.C.S in October, the Dodgers (backed by the hottest starting pitcher since the 1968 "Year of the Pitcher"), won 4 out of 7 to advance to the World Series.

o

By the way, one of the craziest head-to-head swings in terms of head-on play for a season in my lifetime was the 1988 Dodgers and the 1988 Mets.

When they met in the N.L.C.S in October, the Dodgers (backed by the hottest starting pitcher since the 1968 "Year of the Pitcher"), won 4 out of 7 to advance to the World Series.

Sounds to me like you are a Mets "fanboy" to me trolling the OH:)

o

Sounds to me like you are a Mets "fanboy" to me trolling the OH. :)

Yes.

A Mets fanboy, and a Dodgers fanboy.

Except that unlike you, I don't consistently antagonize the Orioles every time that they are down, which is the where the trolling/irritating portion of the equation comes in.

Also, I don't rate the Mets (or the Dodgers) much higher than they deserve to be, as you do with the Nationals.

Wow, so does that makes the argument that this thread is bad but heck we act like even bigger idiots at times so why worry about this one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have never posted on game threads. I find the comments made in anger about some players and the manager by some posters would never be said face to face. I don't why that particular forum is not moderated.

I have never posted on game threads. I find the comments made in anger about some players and the manager by some posters would never be said face to face. I don't why that particular forum is not moderated.

The game threads are moderated.

In fact, I have seen some posters released as a result of their highly inappropriate comments in the game threads.

It is more loosely moderated though, as the knee-jerk reactions that are made there are expected in the heat of the moment of rooting for your favorite team.

And perhaps some posters would would say the things that they say to the players face-to-face, and some wouldn't. I don't see it as much different than angry fans screaming at the players from the bleachers at the stadium during games.

Because it gets the anger that you have in the heat of battle out of your system, and so you don't pollute the rest of the forum.

For all the talk of his stress of defense and fundamentals, the team has had a festering goo of mental mistakes all year, and his decision making in close games has been abysmal. And none of the problems seem to get corrected.

Throwing to the wrong bases

Missing the cutoff man (Hello Mr. Parra)

A total inability to hit behind the runner and advance a player from second to third

Manny and his 10 throwning errors because he continues to like to showboat and pose for the cameras on every easy routine groundball.

Pitchers repeatedly failing to cover first base (Hello Mr. Britton)

Hitters bunting on their own, in situations that they should not be bunting (De Aza, Parmalee, Schoop, Parra), and it just keeps happening

and today, pinch hitting Matt Wieters (excuse me is he a good hitter) for your only healthy SS when you already have the lead.

Pinch running for Hardy with 2 outs and Adam (yep I'm going to tense up and swing at a pitch that bounces on the plate) in a clutch situation Jones.

Leaving noodle arm Henry Urritia in left field for the 9th inning and watching a runner score from second on a throw from just behind SS. Meanwhile Riemold and his plus arm are on the bench. And in what universe is Urritia in anyway a better player than Riemold?

and then in the fateful last inning with Matusz pitching against RH hitters not putting Schoop at 3B and Paredes at second.

This is easy stuff Buck

Perhaps he has been in the sun for too long

and why oh why wasn't Hardy DL'ed a week ago. Why are we fighting to keep perhaps the worst hitter in the major leagues on the 25 man roster?

I couldn't have said it better myself!!!!!!!!!!

Deja Vu 1998-2010

I believe Buck is doing all that a manager can do and still very much retains respect, loyalty, positive relationships with the players under him. So, no, in response to the opening post, I do not think at all that he has "lost control of the clubhouse." However, I am a bit concerned about Manny's response after the game to the press about his error. I understand he was very frustrated and maybe felt stressed about being put in that particular situation. Still, I don't think I have ever seen so many "deleted" expletives in an Oriole interview in a long time. It does not serve Manny well or the team well.

I believe Buck is doing all that a manager can do and still very much retains respect, loyalty, positive relationships with the players under him. So, no, in response to the opening post, I do not think at all that he has "lost control of the clubhouse." However, I am a bit concerned about Manny's response after the game to the press about his error. I understand he was very frustrated and maybe felt stressed about being put in that particular situation. Still, I don't think I have ever seen so many "deleted" expletives in an Oriole interview in a long time. It does not serve Manny well or the team well.

Bordick sort of called out Manny during the telecast. Lackadaisical and also said does not always get his footwork right. Then he said he does work hard before the games with the coaches. Bordick seemed frustrated. I guess he works with some of these guys and sees how they play at times. Manny is called Baby Arod by some of the guys in the clubhouse. As I said before and not in an endearing way.

You can tell Buck is also not happy. Last night,was quoted as saying that he is getting tired of tipping his cap to the other teams' pitcher.

Last night:

Clevenger runs into an out at third base, out by 10 feet (perhaps cost a run)

Schoop throws one into the stands, directly cost a run

Urrita throws to the wrong base misses cutoff, runner takes second on throw, scores on a 2 out single, directly costs run.

These mental mistakes and lack of fundamentals have been prevalent all season. I have no idea what the realationship between coaches and players is, but the message of playing smart sound baseball has not gotten thru.

Bordick sort of called out Manny during the telecast. Lackadaisical and also said does not always get his footwork right. Then he said he does work hard before the games with the coaches. Bordick seemed frustrated. I guess he works with some of these guys and sees how they play at times. Manny is called Baby Arod by some of the guys in the clubhouse. As I said before and not in an endearing way.

You can tell Buck is also not happy. Last night,was quoted as saying that he is getting tired of tipping his cap to the other teams' pitcher.

Some in the clubhouse call Manny baby Arod? Where did you see or hear this? Not trying to call you out but I can definitely see why they would do this. The way he acts sometimes drives me insane.

Is there any chance Manny is more of a cancer then a good teammate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived