Givens And The Art of Deception

Il BuonO

Mychal Givens has had a great deal of success since being moved permanently into the the Orioles' bullpen. Much of that can be attributed to his release point and arm slot which the team never tried to change and only tried to develop after it was determined he wouldn't be going forward in the system as a shortstop.

Givens delivers pitches from the same "three-quarters sidearm slot" he used when winging balls across the infield. According to the righty, he threw from the identical angle as a high school hurler in Tampa. He wasn't about to change when the Orioles opted to have him try his hand at pitching.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/sunday-notes-heaney-givens-dombrowski-lefties-vs-lefties-more/

Relievers are a volatile bunch and it's folly to allocate too many resources to this part of a team when it can be handled by qualified guys within an organization. Givens should be able to step into O'Day's shoes.

• 2 weeks later...
Not that I'm complaining, but it seems that this organization is great at building bullpen arms. Every time I turn around another great 'pen guy is falling in our lap. It'd be amazing if we could do the same with hitters or SPs. But I'll take 1 out of 3.

DD is really good at manufacturing a good bullpen. But it takes money or the success of high draft picks to build a good rotation consistently. With DD we should always have a pen on the cheap and spend our money on SP's or every day players.

Archived