Will the Orioles be dealing with "Confederate money" this off-season?

mdbdotcom

Is there seriously a question as to whether players would prefer say Los Angeles, or New York, or Chicago, or Boston, or wherever to Baltimore? All things equal?

Baltimore has to spend money. If Duquette has a good working relationship with some agents that helps. The biggest risk is that agents (to my mind) tend to use Baltimore as a stalking horse when needed. I don't believe Baltimore is on an even playing field with some other organizations when it comes to convincing players to sign out of free agency. That means that the Orioles may need to pay past market to get the top tier guys. Or, go aggressive out of the gates and sell the player on the rest of your plan while throwing enough money at him to get him to sign early in the process.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nope. Most. Money. Most.

This. Don't expect a discount of more than a microscopic percentage for Davis & Boras to sign with the O's.

99% percent of the criteria will be dollar signs. If another team out bids us by more than a smidgen, Crush is gone.

Don't get me wrong, some players will look at playing circumstances over absolute top dollar. But those players don't choose Scott Boras to be their agent.

This. Don't expect a discount of more than a microscopic percentage for Davis & Boras to sign with the O's.

99% percent of the criteria will be dollar signs. If another team out bids us by more than a smidgen, Crush is gone.

Don't get me wrong, some players will look at playing circumstances over absolute top dollar. But those players don't choose Scott Boras to be their agent.

And if they choose Scott Boras, you don't talk extension. you talk bidding against all the other teams. After they have declined their qualifying offer. And they are officially off the club. 40 man roster spot and all.

Is there seriously a question as to whether players would prefer say Los Angeles, or New York, or Chicago, or Boston, or wherever to Baltimore? All things equal?

Baltimore has to spend money. If Duquette has a good working relationship with some agents that helps. The biggest risk is that agents (to my mind) tend to use Baltimore as a stalking horse when needed. I don't believe Baltimore is on an even playing field with some other organizations when it comes to convincing players to sign out of free agency. That means that the Orioles may need to pay past market to get the top tier guys. Or, go aggressive out of the gates and sell the player on the rest of your plan while throwing enough money at him to get him to sign early in the process.

Some players prefer to have less of a enormous market with painfully aggressive press. And some of those players are actually good. Some players prefer to work for Buck Showalter rather than some puffed up big market guy.

But those players still want all of the money.

Some players prefer to have less of a enormous market with painfully aggressive press. And some of those players are actually good. Some players prefer to work for Buck Showalter rather than some puffed up big market guy.

J.J. Hardy is a guy who prefers a mid-size market to a large market. His primary concern before signing with the O's was that he not be moved from shortstop.

Gold Glove and Silver Slugger shortstop J.J. Hardy has been very open about his desire to remain in Baltimore beyond the 2014 season, but he said Tuesday that he'd like his future at short to be spelled out during upcoming negotiations.

How much less should Davis sign for with the Orioles, assuming they arent the highest bidder? If another team offered him 25 million dollars more over the life of a contract, say 5 years, should he be expected to turn it down?

Absolutely not. Nor should the Orioles match it. If there is that much difference between what the league thinks he is worth and what he signs for, that simply validates the Orioles position. As did the Cruz deal last year.

I agree, there will be a cross-section of available players that could see Baltimore as a desirable landing spot for various factors. Almost certainly not at the top of the market (which probably doesn't matter for Baltimore's purposes). Competition in that range, though is St. Louis, Houston, Kansas City, Atlanta, Minnesota, right? There are enough successful mid-market teams today that just being competitive probably doesn't earn you much leverage.

I agree, there will be a cross-section of available players that could see Baltimore as a desirable landing spot for various factors. Almost certainly not at the top of the market (which probably doesn't matter for Baltimore's purposes). Competition in that range, though is St. Louis, Houston, Kansas City, Atlanta, Minnesota, right? There are enough successful mid-market teams today that just being competitive probably doesn't earn you much leverage.

Nor does it cost you a huge overpay for the folks occupying those tiers.

Nor does it cost you a huge overpay for the folks occupying those tiers.

Relative, right? 4/60 in Baltimore vs 4/48 or 3/45 in St. Louis/Kansas City? I wouldn't say that's huge, but it's proportionally similar to 6/150 in Baltimore vs 6/130 or 5/125 in St. Louis/Kansas City.

To be clear, I am not saying these cities are intrinsically better. I am just of the belief that the young superstar knows more about, and is perhaps more inclined to give deference to, some of these larger markets, even if only for prestige/$.

Baseball players are people to. Some of them given equal money in both places would much rather not deal with all the drama and limelight that NY, Boston, LA etc can provide. Others though seem to thrive on it and relish it.

Its no different than how some people want to work for the biggest firms making the absolute most they can while another person may feel more comfortable and at ease working in a smaller environment with a compensation that is in the general ballpark they would get in a bigger setting.

At the end of the day though, push comes to shove, regardless of what size market they prefer, players always prefer money first and foremost.

To be clear, I am not saying these cities are intrinsically better. I am just of the belief that the young superstar knows more about, and is perhaps more inclined to give deference to, some of these larger markets, even if only for prestige/$.

I believe this is why we will not be able to lock Machado down.

Relative, right? 4/60 in Baltimore vs 4/48 or 3/45 in St. Louis/Kansas City? I wouldn't say that's huge, but it's proportionally similar to 6/150 in Baltimore vs 6/130 or 5/125 in St. Louis/Kansas City.

Nah. Way out of whack to start with. Way out. St. Louis? Kansas City? I doubt anyone splits a million between them.

Archived