Will the Orioles be dealing with "Confederate money" this off-season?

mdbdotcom

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't like the Crasnick piece on many levels.

Not sure how a team with a run differential of more then +20 is "imploding".

The starting pitching has been bad.

And the dozens of games where starters relinquished substantial leads would all be better "signature games" than was that one.

I didn't like the Crasnick piece on many levels.

Not sure how a team with a run differential of more then +20 is "imploding".

The starting pitching has been bad.

You know exactly how that's imploding: You just pull the chemistry paragraph out of your Sportswriters Canned Template file, and insert. Anytime a team that has underlying strengths or good peripherals but is losing it's because bad chemistry.Or, in other words, my favorite xkcd comic.

You know exactly how that's imploding: You just pull the chemistry paragraph out of your Sportswriters Canned Template file, and insert. Anytime a team that has underlying strengths or good peripherals but is losing it's because bad chemistry.Or, in other words, my favorite xkcd comic.

Like Ken Rosenthal likes to draw upon his ancient history experiences to conjure a today kind of vibe. The industry has passed him by. He needs to learn how to write long form to adapt to his senior years as a sports face.

They signed Ubaldo and Cruz.

Or is that too far back for you?

The only reason the Orioles signed Cruz and Jimenez is b/c no one else wanted to. For that reason they got lucky with Cruz's one year contract but look what happened when other teams became interested in Cruz

As far as Jimenez goes I applaud them for actually spending a little bit of money. The problem was that they spent it on the wrong player and it was another example of them not spending efficiently. There was a reason why Jimenez was available so late in free agency. Aside from 3 months in 2013 he hasn't been a very good pitcher in a while.

I'm not a big Chris Davis fan but if they don't resign him I don't trust that the Orioles with re-allocate the money. The best thing for them to do is re-sign him and figure out a way to bring other players in to balance out the poor plate discipline on the team.

And gave up two high draft picks, scuttling our entire draft.

No, the Orioles player development does that lol

A little bit of hypebole on your part. Not exactly a shock. Our 1st round pick would have been what, #19 or something like that? So you are saying that an entire draft is based on the 1st and 2nd round. Like the 2015 draft is based on D.J. Stewart, Ryan Mountcastle, and Jonathan Hughes. If we don't get anything from those three guys the entire draft is written off? Looks like we are well on our way.

You've said previously that you would have resigned Cruz last year. Now you're saying you wish we had never signed him in the first place. Right?

I said that I would have resigned Cruz and it would have been wrong. The Orioles would never have stretched for Connaughton if they were not trying for a flier there. I think Gonzalez may indeed have been influenced by the fact that our draft was decapitated. I am not in support of signing pick attached FAs under the current CBA, even though I am happy that we had Cruz so that we could win the AL East.

I said that I would have resigned Cruz and it would have been wrong. The Orioles would never have stretched for Connaughton if they were not trying for a flier there. I think Gonzalez may indeed have been influenced by the fact that our draft was decapitated. I am not in support of signing pick attached FAs under the current CBA, even though I am happy that we had Cruz so that we could win the AL East.

I'd do it this season if we get three first round comp picks.

For the right player.

If the first pick is protected.

A word of caution who think this 2016 is going to revitalize the future of the Baltimore Orioles. It ain't that easy.

Toronto had 5 first and supplemental 1st round picks in 2012

D.J. Davis (minors)

Marcus Stroman (minors)

Matt Smoral (minors) LHP

Mitch Nay (minors) 3B

Tyler Gonzales (minors)

Sure, they hit on Stroman but there is a good chance that the other 4 guys amount to a complete ZERO.

It's rare than any one event changes the long-term direction of an organization. But little bits can help, and enough of them do add up.

A word of caution who think this 2016 is going to revitalize the future of the Baltimore Orioles. It ain't that easy.

Toronto had 5 first and supplemental 1st round picks in 2012

D.J. Davis (minors)

Marcus Stroman (minors)

Matt Smoral (minors) LHP

Mitch Nay (minors) 3B

Tyler Gonzales (minors)

Sure, they hit on Stroman but there is a good chance that the other 4 guys amount to a complete ZERO.

Stroman was just too small for anyone to really pick him before. He has been everything that his greatest supporters could ever have hoped for. I pray that we do a better job than Toronto did in that draft.

Archived