Stop drafting pitchers in the first round

Ori-Al

We should fire the people in charge from top to bottom who can't develop pitchers before we actually just accept it and tailor our draft strategy around it.

Or you could be more nuanced and identify the characteristics you want in your development team, decide who on the current staff doesn't fit those criteria, and fix the individual problems instead of just firing everyone.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or you could be more nuanced and identify the characteristics you want in your development team, decide who on the current staff doesn't fit those criteria, and fix the individual problems instead of just firing everyone.
This may be the problem. Having a one size fits all pitching philosophy instead of working with the individuals.

Why can't your characteristics or requirements include an overarching philosophy that can be tailored to individual needs?
It probably can but that has more to do with how well a coach relates to individuals, than any set characteristics, like TTP or no Cutters, etc.

Or, you could acquire pitchers who most closely fit the mold, so you don't' have to change them and risk ruining what they've got.

The Orioles have done a poor job of developing draft picks for a long time. However, since so much of the organization was hired after the 2011 season, is the lack of success prior to then relevant to this discussion?

Okay ...fair point to ask. Harvey likely needs TJ and Bundy had had it. I think this says a lot about the lack of competency in the system. Unless you believe it's just bad luck. I personally don't think that it is, the list is too long to say the Os just had bad luck. The fact that after drafting 1st round pitching heavy we have not developed one TOR starter is inexcusable. As I've said ...you can almost pick names out of a hat and do better. I agree that it is likely more development. I think the conversation speaks volumes about how poorly the Orioles have done.

• 1 year later...

o

I'm glad that the Orioles drafted DylanBundy back in 2011.

I'm also glad that they drafted Hunter Harvey in 2013, even though he is still recovering from Tommy John surgery at the Regular-A level in Delmarva.

o

Just now, OFFNY said:

o

I'm glad that the Orioles drafted DylanBundy back in 2011.

I'm also glad that they drafted Hunter Harvey in 2013, even though he is still recovering from Tommy John surgery at the Regular-A level in Delmarva.

o

I'll take Gausman as well.

On 9/21/2015 at 1:39 PM, Roll Tide said:

I don't think the Orioles do any of it well! And I didn't want to go all the way back to have to mention Harnisch, Schilling, and Finley. My point is they haven't gotten much from either over the years. The 1st round record on pitching prospects couldn't be any worse...hell you or I could've done better. You could probably take the best available 5 guys when the Os picked and done better by luck of the draw alone.

As I said in an early post...they haven't drafted and produced a power hitting 1B since Murray in the 70s. Almost 40 years...that's really bad!

What about that Mancini guy?

Of course you have to draft pitchers in the early rounds.  Where else are a team like the O's going to get them?

The O's do not do the international bonus pool thing.  The O's do not have the money to go after proven high calibre starters. (..and when they do, they go cheap and wind up overpaying for guys who everybody else passed on)   The O's dabble in the foreign leagues and pick up a back-of-the-rotation guy every 4 or 5 years.  (Chen, Koji,   Rodgrigous), They do scavenge other teams discards and get some AAAA guys and a regular pitcher every 3-4 years. (Givens, Castro). Other than that, they trade and pick up some second tier FA's.  All that is NOT going to get you 3-4 lights out starters.

Where do the studs come from?  The guys that other teams say "Oh Sxxx, he's pitching".    You have to draft them and develop them.   And then pay through the nose to keep them from leaving.

Archived