Let's Chill With Huff Boo's

oriolefaith

While I did not attend Opening Day, nor did I watch it on TV, I was still able to catch snippets on the radio (105.7 which has horrible reception where I was driving to). In the midst of trying to cover a high school game that was rained out, I heard some of the boos, and I thought "what a joke". These are the one-dimensional fans who believe in horrible radio shows with horrible shock jocks. They don't realize he's apologized, and by the end of the game, the boos did sound a little forced as Roch said in the quote above.

I might not be so high on Huff, but give it a break. He wears an Orioles uniform. I could understand that garbage if he wore a Red Sox or Yankees uni. But he doesn't. He's got Baltimore pride across his chest, and unless you've suddenly changed your fanhood, knock it off!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK one I will never stop booing him, what he said about the city is bad enough but I could get past that. The thing that I cant let go is the fact that he bragged about getting drunk nights before games and coming to the park hung over, this from a guy who barely hit his weight last year.

exactly this

Roch also thinks the booing of Huff should stop:

The guy apologized, just let it go already...

I have no porblem with Aubrey knocking Baltimore on a radio station. The fact that he did it is now his problem. As a free agent you have an opportunity to feel out cities and teams to see if you are a match. It is not like Huff had never been to Baltimore before signing the deal. Baltimore was a crap city when that contract was laid in front of him. If you want to embarrass yourself on a radio station go right a head, you didn't put down the Orioles. I have a problem with the disgrace to the game some of these guys have become. Getting lit the night before a 7:05 p.m. night game is one thing, but showing up to the ballpark hammered for a 1:05 p.m. start is another. There is something funny and should get Huff laughed at. He shows up to the OPACY trashed where he see's three pitchers as the pitcher throws one, HE CAN'T HIT ANY OF THEM! We paid $6 Million to a guy that doesn't bring leadership, defense, speed, hitting for average, or arm strength. We signed the anti-Adam Jones, a one tool prospect who can't even use his one tool correctly. He is Jay Gibbons 2.0, I would give the Oriole some of my own money to fly that guy out of town. Once Vinny Castillo or Jose Canseco comes back, Huff is gone (Straight from retirement, they could each hit 10-12 bombs) lol.

I have no porblem with Aubrey knocking Baltimore on a radio station. The fact that he did it is now his problem. As a free agent you have an opportunity to feel out cities and teams to see if you are a match. It is not like Huff had never been to Baltimore before signing the deal. Baltimore was a crap city when that contract was laid in front of him. If you want to embarrass yourself on a radio station go right a head, you didn't put down the Orioles. I have a problem with the disgrace to the game some of these guys have become. Getting lit the night before a 7:05 p.m. night game is one thing, but showing up to the ballpark hammered for a 1:05 p.m. start is another. There is something funny and should get Huff laughed at. He shows up to the OPACY trashed where he see's three pitchers as the pitcher throws one, HE CAN'T HIT ANY OF THEM! We paid $6 Million to a guy that doesn't bring leadership, defense, speed, hitting for average, or arm strength. We signed the anti-Adam Jones, a one tool prospect who can't even use his one tool correctly. He is Jay Gibbons 2.0, I would give the Oriole some of my own money to fly that guy out of town. Once Vinny Castillo or Jose Canseco comes back, Huff is gone (Straight from retirement, they could each hit 10-12 bombs) lol.

You may dislike Huff but he was our second best hitter on the team besides Markakis after the All-Star break putting up a line of:

.309 AVG .389 OBP .508 SLG .897 OPS

I'll take that on this team any day, especially when the other vets on the team had mailed it in at that point.

And the fact is everybody took his quote out of context as he thought the nightlife was crap compared to Tampa, not the city and the people itself. I could see booing him when he came out, and maybe his first AB, but all game was a little bit much.

You may dislike Huff but he was our second best hitter on the team besides Markakis after the All-Star break putting up a line of:

.309 AVG .389 OBP .508 SLG .897 OPS

I'll take that on this team any day, especially when the other vets on the team had mailed it in at that point.

And the fact is everybody took his quote out of context as he thought the nightlife was crap compared to Tampa, not the city and the people itself. I could see booing him when he came out, and maybe his first AB, but all game was a little bit much.

Unfortunately, it came with a terrible first half.

And, is being the "second best hitter" on the Orioles really a noteworthy accomplishment?;)

A couple of the people that were sitting around me at the game didn't seem to realize this. I had to explain it to a couple of them, but they still continued to boo throughout the game.

I have no problem with booing him. I had a problem with the fans who were booing him and didn't know why.

I told a few why everyone was booing them and they turned into Ravens' fans at a Steelers game.

No clue.

I was listening to the radio last night and some guy called asking why people were booing? I mean hello! Have you been in a cave on mars with your eyes closed and your fingers in your ears for the past 6 months and you just now returned to MD for opening day?

I showed my disdain with silence yesterday (for the most part, like I said in another thread I did yell in his last at bat "Unless you can hit a 5 run homer, you're screwed for today, man"), but I absolutely can't fault a city for giving it back to a guy who, in any context, had diahreea of the mouth and said what he said. You can't badmouth a city, in any context, and then apologize in the manner that he's apologized, and expect not to get something.

That being said, it should taper off now. But he'll probably always hear it from some people. Again in another thread I brought up the story Mantle tells in 61* about how he still got booed for the press labelling him a draft dodger, even though he was turned down for service because of his knee. And at the time of that movie that had happened, what, 8 years prior, at least? Mickey Freakin' Mantle still heard boos over something completely unfair after 8 years, Huff will still hear a few boobirds when playing in Baltimore, either for us or against us.

You just don't say bad things, in any context, about the city you play for, and expect it to just "go away."

I truly am enjoying the few of us in this thread who say they will continue to rip him yet aren't even slightly accurate regarding the facts of the events that have taken place. He has apologized several different times. He clearly was poking fun of himself at fanfest. He also isn't a terrible player by any means.

This was the first time I'd heard about Huff's remarks, but I'm a little skeptical about their "clarity". The stupidity, perhaps. The possibility that it was just an extremely awkward attempt to be funny, maybe? That seems the most logical explanation, but I'd need to see more context before I'd buy it.

Look at how badly Steve Kline got savaged by O's fans and media, just for telling a St. Louis reporter that he regretted leaving St. Louis and was disappointed the team didn't even discuss his return. Steve wasn't taking pot shots at Baltimore, but he was pilloried mercilessly anyhow. If the O's had a better catcher on board in 2005 than Javy Lopez, Steve might have gotten off to a much better start in Baltimore; his devastating slider into the dirt made the hitters swing and miss, but Javy and his replacements usually missed it too.

I recall when Mike Timlin was traded to Philadelphia in the Rolen trade near the end of the 2002 season and made the mistake of saying that he rented a house in NJ because he didn't feel his family was safe on the Philly side of the river. Talk about the City of Brotherly Love!

I truly am enjoying the few of us in this thread who say they will continue to rip him yet aren't even slightly accurate regarding the facts of the events that have taken place. He has apologized several different times. He clearly was poking fun of himself at fanfest. He also isn't a terrible player by any means.

Huff isn't my favorite player by a long shot (before or after this Love Sponge thing), but he certainly doesn't deserve to be booed repeatedly IMHO. Those who continue to take such pleasure in doing so should analyze their motivations, again, IMHO.

I've said (and written) a million stupid things in my life. I've apologized for what I did, again, a million times. It's funny. My employer, friends, family, whoever, never held a grudge and/or booed me every time they saw me once I had made it clear I was sorry that I offended them. I guess those who want to boo him are either perfect themselves and/or expect no forgiveness if they do something stupid, because surely these people don't have one set of rules for themselves and other set of rules for baseball players?

That is nearly it. Many people feel that kind of behavior is just the thing when going to the game. "I bought a ticket so I have the right, etc". And if lots of people are doing it then it must be OK for more to join in. I haven't booed any player for any reason since I was about 9 years old, but that's just me.

As for AH, well he is going to get a rough time for awhile, but I think he will survive. If his hitting suffers we can take part of the credit. Maybe the manager will consider "resting" him more on "homestands" But I think he will be allright.

Put me in the 'no more boos' crowd. I was at the game yesterday and was frankly embarrassed for Huff everytime he came to the plate. I said aloud to my buddy 'what happens if Huff jacks one out right now, will they cheer then?'. And of course they would have - in fact, the crowd went wild when he got on base in the 9th due to an error

Get over it people, its a distracting and embarrassing practice, booing your own. The guy was out of line a little on a radio show that he probably figured would get very little attention anyway - how many listeners does Bubba have, especially just in Baltimore? - and he has apologized for it.

Support your team. And, if you're going to boo, boo because someone sucks ON the field, not OFF of it. In which case, maybe you can boo Huff anyway ;):P

I think a strong start would put an end to the boo's. I have no issue with booing AH, especially after the way he played for a lot of last season. If he starts off slow again, then I hope people keep booing him. He needs to endear himself to the fans, and the best way to do that is to start crushing the ball - the sooner the better.

Come on now i understand in made an insult on the Radio against Baltimore. That is fine he deserves a Booo When his name was announced. From now though lets get give him some Cheers because he still has Oriole on the front of his jersey. The guy did hit for cycle last season been a while since that has happen. He is a Oriole and if you are going to cheer on the O's you have to cheer the all on. Aubrey Huff i forgive you. GO O's

Maybe we can take him out for some milk and cookies too. The bottom line is that this guy disparaged the city I was born in, grew up in, and currently reside in. He doesn't deserve to wear an Orioles jersey. I couldn't care less about the cycle. He's garbage and deserves everything he gets. Maybe he can use some of his millions to dry his tears.

Archived