Let's Chill With Huff Boo's

oriolefaith

I think a strong start would put an end to the boo's. I have no issue with booing AH, especially after the way he played for a lot of last season. If he starts off slow again, then I hope people keep booing him. He needs to endear himself to the fans, and the best way to do that is to start crushing the ball - the sooner the better.

Getting out in the community like Roberts does would go a long way too. Showing he really DOES love the city, and isn't just back pedaling because he flapped his gums.

Just like Tony's signature says. Actions speak louder than words. Right now, it's all been words. He wants to appease Baltimore, the city, for what he said, he needs to do more than things on a ball field.

"I don't think that's (respect) something you earn on a ballfield." - Roger Maris.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK one I will never stop booing him, what he said about the city is bad enough but I could get past that. The thing that I cant let go is the fact that he bragged about getting drunk nights before games and coming to the park hung over, this from a guy who barely hit his weight last year. Second he stated that it didn't matter what he said because his contract is "guaranteed", so yeah the stuff about the city was bad, but the blatant haha I can suck make lots of money and I don't care what the fans think has earned him boo's from me everytime I'm at the park, you're welcome to do what you want but I will not stop.

That's pretty hard on him.

Look, where would you be right now if your girlfriend hadn't forgiven you for that one night when she walked into your bedroom and saw you sitting there at the computer, buck naked, and - well, I won't go into all the details.

But, she forgave you for that, right?

And the fact is everybody took his quote out of context as he thought the nightlife was crap compared to Tampa, not the city and the people itself. I could see booing him when he came out, and maybe his first AB, but all game was a little bit much.

Yep, that is the point I have made many times to people, but they don't listen. It is like one of those things that gets whispered to somebody and by the time it gets to about the 10th person, it is not even close to what was originally said.

I have heard some ridiculous accounts of what Huff "said" which are not even remotely true.

I am not going to boo Huff, whatever everybody else does is their own business, but I am not going to do it.

We paid $6 Million to a guy that doesn't bring leadership, defense, speed, hitting for average, or arm strength. We signed the anti-Adam Jones, a one tool prospect who can't even use his one tool correctly.

Isn't that our front offices' fault? Don't blame Huff for us signing him.

OK one I will never stop booing him, what he said about the city is bad enough but I could get past that. The thing that I cant let go is the fact that he bragged about getting drunk nights before games and coming to the park hung over, this from a guy who barely hit his weight last year. Second he stated that it didn't matter what he said because his contract is "guaranteed", so yeah the stuff about the city was bad, but the blatant haha I can suck make lots of money and I don't care what the fans think has earned him boo's from me everytime I'm at the park, you're welcome to do what you want but I will not stop.

He hit .280 with a .779 OPS and 15 home runs last year, including .309/.897/9 in the second half in 60 fewer plate appearances then the first half.

So...

Maybe we can take him out for some milk and cookies too. The bottom line is that this guy disparaged the city I was born in, grew up in, and currently reside in. He doesn't deserve to wear an Orioles jersey. I couldn't care less about the cycle. He's garbage and deserves everything he gets. Maybe he can use some of his millions to dry his tears.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

I truly am enjoying the few of us in this thread who say they will continue to rip him yet aren't even slightly accurate regarding the facts of the events that have taken place. He has apologized several different times. He clearly was poking fun of himself at fanfest. He also isn't a terrible player by any means.

Huff isn't my favorite player by a long shot (before or after this Love Sponge thing), but he certainly doesn't deserve to be booed repeatedly IMHO. Those who continue to take such pleasure in doing so should analyze their motivations, again, IMHO.

I've said (and written) a million stupid things in my life. I've apologized for what I did, again, a million times. It's funny. My employer, friends, family, whoever, never held a grudge and/or booed me every time they saw me once I had made it clear I was sorry that I offended them. I guess those who want to boo him are either perfect themselves and/or expect no forgiveness if they do something stupid, because surely these people don't have one set of rules for themselves and other set of rules for baseball players?

That is for sure. :D LOL.

I agree. He deserved to be booed once and Huff probably agrees.

He has sincerely apologized several times. Now it should be over. Even-Steven.

And for the record- I have have also done/said/written plenty of stupid things. But, I too, will take the responsiblity for it, learn a lesson and apologize to any who were offended.

Do unto others.............

This was the first time I'd heard about Huff's remarks, but I'm a little skeptical about their "clarity". The stupidity, perhaps. The possibility that it was just an extremely awkward attempt to be funny, maybe? That seems the most logical explanation, but I'd need to see more context before I'd buy it.

Look at how badly Steve Kline got savaged by O's fans and media, just for telling a St. Louis reporter that he regretted leaving St. Louis and was disappointed the team didn't even discuss his return. Steve wasn't taking pot shots at Baltimore, but he was pilloried mercilessly anyhow. If the O's had a better catcher on board in 2005 than Javy Lopez, Steve might have gotten off to a much better start in Baltimore; his devastating slider into the dirt made the hitters swing and miss, but Javy and his replacements usually missed it too.

I recall when Mike Timlin was traded to Philadelphia in the Rolen trade near the end of the 2002 season and made the mistake of saying that he rented a house in NJ because he didn't feel his family was safe on the Philly side of the river. Talk about the City of Brotherly Love!

Baltimore (the city and the metro area) has an interesting inferiority complex. Residents will criticize their town, and they will consciously or subconsciously think small about it, but they will not tolerate outsiders belittling it, even indirectly like Kline did. I guess that is probably something a lot of cities have, but you really notice it in Baltimore.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Do unto others.............

Did I wander into church? :D

As I said yesterday, the initial boos made sense and were warranted, in my opinion. I even heard Millar get some boos before he started dancing. Thank God Huff didn't go that route.

I thought booing Huff kind of became the thing to do. Throwing things at him or anyone else is decidedly NOT the thing to do, however. I think the booing will be done by the weekend.

To be honest, the closest I came to booing him was when he loafed down to first base on that error in the ninth. If the pitcher had picked up the ball in time to get him out, he would have earned every boo he received.

I said aloud to my buddy 'what happens if Huff jacks one out right now' date=' will they cheer then?'. [/quote']

The idiots behind me who said that they came to the game just to boo Huff actually booed him when he got his hit. Really, guys?

Where were these apologies? All I remember in the paper was something to the extent of "Must be a slow day in Baltimore to make a big deal about this. I'm sorry if anyone took it the wrong way. I'd do it again if I were asked".

I didn't follow the story much after the first week or so, but his immediate response seemed to be defiance.

I didn't boo him because I'm not going to boo an Oriole, but I'm not gonna say that people should lay off the guy. I just can't see someone like him being all that sorry. I firmly believe in his heart-of-hearts that he thinks Orioles fans overreacted and he's just saying the right things now to get the people off his back.

Where were these apologies? All I remember in the paper was something to the extent of "Must be a slow day in Baltimore to make a big deal about this. I'm sorry if anyone took it the wrong way. I'd do it again if I were asked".

I didn't follow the story much after the first week or so, but his immediate response seemed to be defiance.

Yeah, I kinda kept my mouth shut, but that's the apologies I remember too, and they didn't seem 'sincere' to me. They seemed like "what's the big deal" apologies. I said it back then that I didn't think he got it. And if he thinks those sorts of apologies and wearing a I Heart Baltimore shirt are gonna get all the boobirds off his back...well, he really isn't that smart of a guy. Though he doesn't exactly try to pass himself off as Einstein.

Yeah, I kinda kept my mouth shut, but that's the apologies I remember too, and they didn't seem 'sincere' to me. They seemed like "what's the big deal" apologies. I said it back then that I didn't think he got it. And if he thinks those sorts of apologies and wearing a I Heart Baltimore shirt are gonna get all the boobirds off his back...well, he really isn't that smart of a guy. Though he doesn't exactly try to pass himself off as Einstein.

I guess thats another reason I'm not more angry about it. He's like a lot of guys everyone has grown up around. He's just an in-the-moment kind of guy who has no real concept of consequences.

If someone more on-the-ball had said it, it would be a more distressing.

Archived