Randy Edsall FIRED ! Locksley Interim HC

Danielos38

Fridge is the only guy who has had anything more than a hiccup of success at Maryland in the last 35 years. It's not going to be easy to find the guy who can make Maryland a football power.

I guess we can hope for lightning in a bottle. But how many middling programs rise to become consistent winners?

Florida St. was one of those programs before Bobby Bowden showed up weren't they? Maryland I think needs a tough no nonsense kind of guy.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Florida St. was one of those programs before Bobby Bowden showed up weren't they? Maryland I think needs a tough no nonsense kind of guy.

Yeah, I suppose it was. FSU has been so good for so long it's hard to imagine them being mediocre.

We'll never have the rich recruiting territory of FSU, but maybe Plank's money could help bring in a stud coach and KEEP him.

Yeah, I suppose it was. FSU has been so good for so long it's hard to imagine them being mediocre.

We'll never have the rich recruiting territory of FSU, but maybe Plank's money could help bring in a stud coach and KEEP him.

That's where a really good strength and conditioning coach(s) would come in handy. Of course Maryland might already have those people. But I highly doubt it the way both the offensive and defensive lines get shoved around.

Good point. FSU was nothing before Bowden got there.

A more recent example is Baylor. They were a laughingstock before Art Briles got there, and now they are competing for a spot in the NC game each year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Baylor_Bears_football_seasons

Good point. FSU was nothing before Bowden got there.

A more recent example is Baylor. They were a laughingstock before Art Briles got there, and now they are competing for a spot in the NC game each year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Baylor_Bears_football_seasons

Maryland had similar success with Fridge (three straight 10-win seasons) but wasn't able to sustain it. I guess I'm just pessimistic, but I don't feel like Maryland will ever be anything more than what they have been. The norm is mediocrity, with the occasional outstanding season or short run of success.

I don't think you can pin blame on anyone, it's just the school's situation. No college in the Northeast Megalopolis has really had any long-term success. I don't know if it's just a matter of support, or kids playing sports other than football or what.

That's where a really good strength and conditioning coach(s) would come in handy. Of course Maryland might already have those people. But I highly doubt it the way both the offensive and defensive lines get shoved around.

And if we're being honest, it means they have to steroid better.

No college in the Northeast Megalopolis has really had any long-term success. I don't know if it's just a matter of support, or kids playing sports other than football or what.

What about Penn State back in the Paterno era?

And if we're being honest, it means they have to steroid better.

I don't know, I've witnessed some people on the right program get really strong without them. There was a weight lifting program called Serious Growth III about 20 years ago. That built crazy amounts of strength in a relatively short amount of time. Steroids are for guys who don't want to think to hard about what they're doing.

I think they need a strong NFL name and Frank Reich could be a great fit. He's the current San Diego Chargers OC and of course was a Maryland QB back in the day. Bringing in a guy like Reich along with the new recruits and facilities could really spark some interest.

Fridge is the only guy who has had anything more than a hiccup of success at Maryland in the last 35 years. It's not going to be easy to find the guy who can make Maryland a football power.

I guess we can hope for lightning in a bottle. But how many middling programs rise to become consistent winners?

TCU.

Ole Miss.

I think they need a strong NFL name and Frank Reich could be a great fit. He's the current San Diego Chargers OC and of course was a Maryland QB back in the day. Bringing in a guy like Reich along with the new recruits and facilities could really spark some interest.

He led two of the greatest comebacks in history: MD over Miami after trailing 31-0 at half in 1984 (loved those Bobby Ross Terps); leading Buffalo after trailing Houston 35-3 in 1993

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XyuLXhHg8Cg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe><iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MhASCL-3GwU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TCU.

Ole Miss.

Those are programs that really had no reason to not be successful. If you're in the south, where 4 star athletes grow on tress, you should be a big time program. Maybe a school like Vanderbilt shouldn't because they are a smaller private school, but the big state schools should dominate in the south. TCU was also not in a power conference, which hurt them.

Archived