Is Jones endorsing an OF of Parra, Jones, Alvarez?

wildcard

From Roch:

Jones saw enough of Parra and Alvarez that he could offer an opinion of their defense on both sides of him.

"I played against (Parra) coming up in the minors a little bit and in Venezuela," said Jones, a four-time Gold Glove winner. "The best thing about him is he's a ballplayer, he's an old-school ballplayer who always wants to be dirty. I like that.

"He's got one of the best arms in baseball. He's got two Gold Gloves - one in right, one in left. He stands pretty high."

Parra also stood out for his astute baserunning, going from first to third in one game to set up an important run.

"He's a ballplayer," Jones said. "That's what I love about him."

Alvarez turns 27 next month, so he's losing "kid" status. He made it to the majors this summer, going 7-for-29 with a home run and eight strikeouts, but is still working to gain the organization's trust and contribute more than just a plus-throwing arm.

"He just needs more reps, he needs reps here at the major league level," Jones said. "That's all. Once he gets reps he'll be fine, because he's a good talent. He just needs reps."

What about that arm?

"His arm's better than Parra's," Jones said.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/10/adam-jones-on-dariel-alvarez-he-just-needs-reps.html

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could he be saying, "Re-sign Davis and I'm good with Parra and Alvarez out there with me?" I don't know.

Would anyone else be happy with that?

I like Alvarez, I don't think he's an everyday player but there's a spot for him on the bench. Parra can come back and I wouldn't be upset about it, but I think there's something to be said for being affordable and I'm not sure Parra would be.

I'm all about re-signing Davis but if we decided to sign an outfielder, Parra, and bring Mancini up, sign Manny long term and scour for a starter, it might be money better spent.

Could he be saying, "Re-sign Davis and I'm good with Parra and Alvarez out there with me?" I don't know.

Would anyone else be happy with that?

We need to do two things, upgrade the SP and add OBP players. This doesn't do it, IMO.

I would prefer Nolan Reimold to be one of the 4 outfielders (and occasional DH) heading into the 2016 season.

After he was called up on September 6th, he had an OBP of .391 in 87 plate appearances.

Too bad he doesn't get on base at a decent rate.

But yet his career .333 is still an upgrade over most Orioles. He is a special player defensively so I forgive the said obp shortcomings.

I know a lot of guys like Fowler. But career Jackson's WAA and WAR are much higher than Fowler.

Archived