Best AL Record Since Dan Duquette Arrived.

weams

In the series that I felt killed us (home against Minnesota), in those last 3 games, we absolutely pitched well enough to win. We literally couldn't buy a clutch hit while the Twins "royaled" us to death with bloop hits and manufactured runs. There was a stretch there for a couple of weeks where our offense was comically bad. Starting pitching for the whole year was subpar, but what really sticks out to me from this past season is just inept situational offense.

The Orioles' situational offense wasn't the problem. They had a .796 OPS with RISP, third-best in the AL. The failures tend to stick out in our mind, but the O's as a whole were pretty good at coming through in RBI spots.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Orioles' situational offense wasn't the problem. They had a .796 OPS with RISP, third-best in the AL. The failures tend to stick out in our mind, but the O's as a whole were pretty good at coming through in RBI spots.

It is a dialog that gets used. It's not based on facts.

In the series that I felt killed us (home against Minnesota), in those last 3 games, we absolutely pitched well enough to win. We literally couldn't buy a clutch hit while the Twins "royaled" us to death with bloop hits and manufactured runs. There was a stretch there for a couple of weeks where our offense was comically bad. Starting pitching for the whole year was subpar, but what really sticks out to me from this past season is just inept situational offense.

It is a dialog that gets used. It's not based on facts.

Somewhat similar to the assertion that the Orioles always give back runs after they score.

It sure feels like that sometimes when it happens, but when schittenden researched it for the 2014 season, he showed that it wasn't true.

Somewhat similar to the assertion that the Orioles always give back runs after they score.

It sure feels like that sometimes when it happens, but when schittenden researched it for the 2014 season, he showed that it wasn't true.

The difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

So the numbers overall may say that we were pretty good with situational hitting, but in my mind not all RISP situations should be evaluated equally. I am sure there is a stat out there for this, but I would like to know the following: How did the Orioles do relative to other teams with RISP situations when we were within 1 - 2 runs of the other team? How about from the 5th inning on? A hit with RISP that makes an 8 run lead a 9 run lead isn't going to mean much. But a hit with RISP that turns a 1 run deficit into a 1 run lead is a big time hit.

Bad starting pitching will clearly influence how many of these situations your offense is in, but I still would like to know how we did when we were in these situations.

So the numbers overall may say that we were pretty good with situational hitting, but in my mind not all RISP situations should be evaluated equally. I am sure there is a stat out there for this, but I would like to know the following: How did the Orioles do relative to other teams with RISP situations when we were within 1 - 2 runs of the other team? How about from the 5th inning on? A hit with RISP that makes an 8 run lead a 9 run lead isn't going to mean much. But a hit with RISP that turns a 1 run deficit into a 1 run lead is a big time hit.

Bad starting pitching will clearly influence how many of these situations your offense is in, but I still would like to know how we did when we were in these situations.

This is unfortunately a backpedal when proven incorrect. Sorry.

This is unfortunately a backpedal when proven incorrect. Sorry.

I don't think so because I am just trying to quantify what I saw with the eye test this year. The only thing I probably did wrong originally was use the phrase "situational hitting" when I meant to say "clutch hitting." When the situation called for a big hit and the hit alone could have changed the course of the game, I want to know how we did in those situations. Here is what I have watched the Royals do this month....when the game is tight and it gets late, they literally stop swinging at bad pitches. They force the pitcher to throw them a strike and when he does, they get base hits. I want to know how good we have been in those situations. The eye test tells me we suffered in this area, but if the stats in these situations say otherwise, then I am happy to admit I am wrong.

I don't think so because I am just trying to quantify what I saw with the eye test this year. The only thing I probably did wrong originally was use the phrase "situational hitting" when I meant to say "clutch hitting." When the situation called for a big hit and the hit alone could have changed the course of the game, I want to know how we did in those situations. Here is what I have watched the Royals do this month....when the game is tight and it gets late, they literally stop swinging at bad pitches. They force the pitcher to throw them a strike and when he does, they get base hits. I want to know how good we have been in those situations. The eye test tells me we suffered in this area, but if the stats in these situations say otherwise, then I am happy to admit I am wrong.

Then go find it. Why should we continually do the work of proving your eyes wrong?

Then go find it. Why should we continually do the work of proving your eyes wrong?
This was a really funny response....honestly. You have a good point. I thought it was good conversation but we can move on.

He's not really being dismissive of you. We are just saying that the facts prove otherwise. My eyes lie to me all the time too.

He's not really being dismissive of you. We are just saying that the facts prove otherwise. My eyes lie to me all the time too.

I was being a bit dismissive as well. Not of the conversation but the aversion some posters (not by any means limited to JR) have to looking up information. If you can find Orioles Hangout on the computer then you can find Fangraphs and Baseball reference.

You can root around those two sites and find the answers to most all of these questions.

Archived