Best AL Record Since Dan Duquette Arrived.

weams

When 1 game out, I dont think you let "strength of schedule" decided is you are going to continue to compete. This team had the talent to win 10 more games than it did....they just didnt play to the talent level. In Fact, one 10 game stretch (1-9) did us in....win 5 of those games and the season looks much different.

The reason we were one game out was because our schedule to that point was fairly weak. The reason we fell off the pace is because our schedule became tougher. It's pretty simple. If you don't think SoS is a critical factor, IMO the most important factor, then we will have to agree to disagree.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The reason we were one game out was because our schedule to that point was fairly weak. The reason we fell off the pace is because our schedule became tougher. It's pretty simple. If you don't think SoS is a critical factor, IMO the most important factor, then we will have to agree to disagree.

For me the wheels came off, that series against the Twins at Home in Mid to Late August. They were 4 games above 500 and dropped 4 in a row and at least 2 of those games, they were winning late in the game.

You cant give up on the season when you are 1 game out of a playoff spot at the deadline. The goal EVERY year is the make the playoffs...if you are in striking distance in July/Aug you owe it to your fans to not "give up" on the year.

I agree, but accessing your weaknesses at the trade deadline and acquiring Parra as your only addition, might as well be throwing in the towel. Did anyone honestly think that acquiring Parra at the deadline = printing playoff tickets?

I agree, but accessing your weaknesses at the trade deadline and acquiring Parra as your only addition, might as well be throwing in the towel. Did anyone honestly think that acquiring Parra at the deadline = printing playoff tickets?

At the time, it look like it might be some help, he had a good first half, and like AJ said, the guy is a player and knows how to play the game.

The CoF up to that point, had not done much and yet the team was still in contention.

For me, the wheels came off, that series against the Twins at Home in mid-to-late August. They were 4 games above .500 and dropped 4 in a row, and in at least 2 of those games, they were winning late in the game.

I think that the proverbial wheels may have fallen off before that.

The pinnacle of the season was when the Orioles swept the Indians in late June, and had surged into 1st place.

At that point (June 28th), the Orioles had gone on an 18-5 tear, improving their overall record from 23-29 to 41-34.

Then they went on a massive slide, going 5-15 over their next 20 games to fall to 46-49, 7 full games behind the first-place Yankees.

After that, they had a few modest winning spurts in which they were able to flirt with contention for a wildcard spot ...... but I believe (in hindsight) that that 5-15 run really exposed the 2015 Orioles as the mediocre team that they were, and not the solid 88-or-more-win team that we were hoping that they would be.

The pinnacle of the season was when the Orioles swept the Indians in late June, and had surged into 1st place.

At that point (June 28th), the Orioles had gone on an 18-5 tear, improving their overall record from 23-29 to 41-34.

Then they went on a massive slide, going 5-15 over their next 20 games to fall to 46-49, 7 full games behind the first-place Yankees.

After that, they had a few modest winning spurts in which they were able to flirt with contention for a wildcard spot ...... but I believe (in hindsight) that that 5-15 run really exposed the 2015 Orioles as the mediocre team that they were, and not the solid 88-or-more-win team that we were hoping that they would be.

You could very well to be right, and you make good arguments to your opinion, especially the part about being in first place.

I was speaking for my own hope for the season, to me, it was still reachable until that really bad stretch of winnable games and then the fat lady was singing her song.

For me the wheels came off, that series against the Twins at Home in Mid to Late August. They were 4 games above 500 and dropped 4 in a row and at least 2 of those games, they were winning late in the game.

You could very well to be right, and you make good arguments to your opinion, especially the part about being in first place.

I was speaking for my own hope for the season, to me, it was still reachable until that really bad stretch of winnable games and then the fat lady was singing her song.

Oh, OK.

For me the final nail in the coffin was the sweep at the hands of the Red Sox.

The Orioles had just swept the Nationals, had managed to get to .500 (76-76), and were 3 and-a-half games behind the Astros for the final wildcard spot.

It was still a long-shot at that point, but if they had swept the Red Sox and not the other way around, they would have been 79-76 instead of 76-79, and Birdland would have been going berserk.

Vince Lombardi probably never managed a team to a championship that had 73 losses in one year. If you run a baseball team thinking that every loss is the tragic result of employing a bunch of losers you'll run your car into a bridge abutment at 125 mph somewhere around May 13th.

Vince Lombardi probably never managed a team to a championship that had 73 losses in one year. If you run a baseball team thinking that every loss is the tragic result of employing a bunch of losers you'll run your car into a bridge abutment at 125 mph somewhere around May 13th.

Only playing 14 games, would give more significance to a single loss.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8WF_UqHQpx0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Had to do it.

This made me think of 1996. And I became curious where we stood on 7/31/96. I looked it up - turns out we had the 7th-place winning percentage in the AL and were 10 games back for the division.

Much different than 1 game out of a playoff spot.

How can your schedule be "fairly weak" through 100 games? By that time you have pretty much played everyone you are going to play in the last 62.

It took a team that was 1 game out, and improved a weak position...so yes it was reasonable to believe the team that was only 1 game out of a spot, would play better the last two months of the season with a better corner outfielder.

Archived