Best AL Record Since Dan Duquette Arrived.

weams

IMO, DD had a pretty good hand to play and he worked magic in 2012 with the MiGon and Chen signings, Machado promotion and landing McClouth. Of course, Machado was already in the organization, it was the switch to 3B and the callup of a top prospect at AA that deserve credit.

Since 2012, I have been less then impressed with DD. He has wasted $, given up draft picks and traded away a lot of talent all in moves designed only to bolster the 25 man roster - none to bolster the organization's overall talent base. DD's plan to hang on to all 2015-16 free agent pieces for a quality run looks misguided. We really were not so competitive this year given the strength of schedule the last 10 weeks or so of the season.

DD did what he was hired to do and what he said he would do - win at the major league level ....

But he also said he would bolster the farm system and it looks like we are not in a very competitive position going forward. I personally think a lot of GMs could have made better calls between 2013-15 that would have led to one playoff appearance in those years AND a lot better major league team and overall organization talent base exiting 2015.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I personally think a lot of GMs could have made better calls between 2013-15 that would have led to one playoff appearance in those years AND a lot better major league team and overall organization talent base exiting 2015.

We will never know. The fan base needed to win. And we did. We may have hired someone like San Diego did. And put ourselves in Cap Jail from the start and never won a thing.

Winning and not getting in the tournament isn't "winning".

Look we can agree to disagree when I turn them on I root every night for a chance in the playoffs if they don't make it in disappointed.

I'm still a proud O's fan, already counting down to opening day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just understand that only 33% of the teams make the playoffs. Making the playoffs twice in four years is beating the odds. And you are going to be unhappy more often than happy.

That's a remarkable fact about us having the best record and all. I'll take it - but keep it in perspective. The ultimate goal is the WS. And we appear slightly further away - as of now - from that goal than we did 2-3 years ago. I will wait to assess until after the offseason. But as Frobby noted, I don't like where this is headed - 2016 could be pretty darned rough. A development year almost.

That's a remarkable fact about us having the best record and all. I'll take it - but keep it in perspective. The ultimate goal is the WS. And we appear slightly further away - as of now - from that goal than we did 2-3 years ago. I will wait to assess until after the offseason. But as Frobby noted, I don't like where this is headed - 2016 could be pretty darned rough. A development year almost.
I also have some worries about 2016, but we'll see.

We will never know. The fan base needed to win. And we did. We may have hired someone like San Diego did. And put ourselves in Cap Jail from the start and never won a thing.

We will never know and you bring up the example of a GM who butchered a possibly winning hand in San Diego. Other GMs have done quite well the past few years.

While we will never know, I feel comfortable saying, as I did, that a lot, probably a comfortable majority, of GMs would have done better than DD. In the past few years, few GMs have traded 5 WAR pitchers, top 100 prospects and four high draft picks. We brought much of our success forward by trading away key farm components and draft picks - probably more than any five organizations in baseball in the same time. The shame of it is, and the biggest issue I have with what DD has done, that none of the assets given up have yielded multi-year players still with the organization today - the pick for Bud, Jake for Feldman, the pick to giveaway Webb, the pick for Ubaldo, the pick for Cruz, EdRod for Miller, the prospects for Travis Snider.

It didn't have to be this way. DD's hand was pretty strong when he took over and he has played it poorly since 2013 IMO.

Just understand that only 33% of the teams make the playoffs. Making the playoffs twice in four years is beating the odds. And you are going to be unhappy more often than happy.

Just understand that this team was a 96 win team the year prior. They made it to the ALCS. Think the Royals would have considered an 81-81 season a success? This team was so close and had the chance to put together a serious contender and didn't. Instead they went into the season with a bunch of what ifs and most didn't pan out.

This is how we know the culture isn't to good when we start seeing seasons of .500 a good one. I don't fault the players one bit. They fought their tails off. But the front office wet the bed on a chance at winning the whole thing.

2015 was a bad season and far from a success. And we can thank our front office for that.

Just understand that this team was a 96 win team the year prior. They made it to the ALCS. Think the Royals would have considered an 81-81 season a success? This team was so close and had the chance to put together a serious contender and didn't. Instead they went into the season with a bunch of what ifs and most didn't pan out.

This is how we know the culture isn't to good when we start seeing seasons of .500 a good one. I don't fault the players one bit. They fought their tails off. But the front office wet the bed on a chance at winning the whole thing.

2015 was a bad season and far from a success. And we can thank our front office for that.

There's nothing wrong with the team's culture. I don't think the team is at all satisfied with 81-81. But as fans of a team that had 14 straight losing seasons and

five straight seasons under 70 wins, we know there are things a helluva lot worse than going 81-81. That's got nothing to do with the team's culture, it's just a reality that most of us are painfully aware of.

So, the same starting pitchers who were very good in 2014 stunk up the joint in 2015 because the FO wet the bed? How exactly did that work?

Because the FO refused to add in areas where improvement could have been made. I get it nobody can predict Norris and Tillman looking as awful as they did but the jerking of Gausman is something monkeys could have done a better job with.

At the deadline no pitching was brought in to improve the team. Instead they trade a young SP in the system for a CO and SP is the obvious weakness in the organization.

IMO, DD had a pretty good hand to play and he worked magic in 2012 with the MiGon and Chen signings, Machado promotion and landing McClouth. Of course, Machado was already in the organization, it was the switch to 3B and the callup of a top prospect at AA that deserve credit.

Since 2012, I have been less then impressed with DD. He has wasted $, given up draft picks and traded away a lot of talent all in moves designed only to bolster the 25 man roster - none to bolster the organization's overall talent base. DD's plan to hang on to all 2015-16 free agent pieces for a quality run looks misguided. We really were not so competitive this year given the strength of schedule the last 10 weeks or so of the season.

DD did what he was hired to do and what he said he would do - win at the major league level ....

But he also said he would bolster the farm system and it looks like we are not in a very competitive position going forward. I personally think a lot of GMs could have made better calls between 2013-15 that would have led to one playoff appearance in those years AND a lot better major league team and overall organization talent base exiting 2015.

I agree with the good hand analysis. It's the low percentage to pay off moves that worked early and lately have been a complete bust. You can't survive by letting your expensive players leave via free agency and replacing them by hoping to hit on the Parmalees of the world. That path is going to fail more often than not.

Since the Os are terrible at drafting and development they should be trading their guys a year early if they can't extend them the trade market gets you a guy closer to the majors and has a track record. Not blowing the free agents out at the deadline when we had little chance was a stupid move.

I'm pretty satisfied with the last four years as a whole, in terms of major league results. But I don't like the way we're trending. I very much doubt we'll have the best overall record over the next four years, and I'm worried we won't even be in the top half. I think Dan's going to have to have a great offseason for us to be over .500 next season. A lot will need to go right next year.

Here are the 4-year wins leaders, as I calculate them:

BAL 355

NYY 351

LAA 350

OAK 346

DET 345

KCR 342

TOR 339

TEX 339

I disagree...we would have all laughed if some one in 2011 would have proclaimed that the Orioles of all teams would be the regular season wins leader in the AL over the next 4 years. Who would have bet in 2011 that Chris Davis would be the best HR hitter in MLB?

Yes, the front office need to have a good off-season, but who knows, maybe they do bring back Davis, and get a strong starter. Maybe Davis plays RF hits 40 HR's, and Mancini plays a solid 1b in 2016. Maybe we have a core of Jones/Machado/Schoop/Davis/Mancini and Joseph forthe next 3 years...those could be some very good years.

You cant give up on the season when you are 1 game out of a playoff spot at the deadline. The goal EVERY year is the make the playoffs...if you are in striking distance in July/Aug you owe it to your fans to not "give up" on the year.

I disagree...we would have all laughed if some one in 2011 would have proclaimed that the Orioles of all teams would be the regular season wins leader in the AL over the next 4 years. Who would have bet in 2011 that Chris Davis would be the best HR hitter in MLB?

Yes, the front office need to have a good off-season, but who knows, maybe they do bring back Davis, and get a strong starter. Maybe Davis plays RF hits 40 HR's, and Mancini plays a solid 1b in 2016. Maybe we have a core of Jones/Machado/Schoop/Davis/Mancini and Joseph forthe next 3 years...those could be some very good years.

I'll have some of whatever you are smoking. The Orioles will not resign Davis. He was frustrated during the season with the lack of talk. DD already said their priority is pitching.

Even then all you will see them go after is 2nd tier and AAAA reclamation projects.

Archived