Best AL Record Since Dan Duquette Arrived.

weams

It seems to me there are three parts to situational hitting.

1)Getting on base.

2)Advancing runners to SP

3) Hitting with RISP

We know they don't do well with #1 Doesn't seem they do too well with #2. But they do do well with #3. If they didn't they wouldn't score any runs at all except by the HR.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think so because I am just trying to quantify what I saw with the eye test this year. The only thing I probably did wrong originally was use the phrase "situational hitting" when I meant to say "clutch hitting." When the situation called for a big hit and the hit alone could have changed the course of the game, I want to know how we did in those situations. Here is what I have watched the Royals do this month....when the game is tight and it gets late, they literally stop swinging at bad pitches. They force the pitcher to throw them a strike and when he does, they get base hits. I want to know how good we have been in those situations. The eye test tells me we suffered in this area, but if the stats in these situations say otherwise, then I am happy to admit I am wrong.

Knock yourself out and put these these numbers against your "eye test."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WeNBspJGVko" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Knock yourself out and put these these numbers against your "eye test."

Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+

SS 162 629 588 65 131 20 1 12 52 2 0 29 127 .223 .257 .321 .579 189 15 1 3 8 0 8 .260 60 68

LF 162 640 575 71 121 20 4 18 53 5 4 50 147 .210 .287 .353 .640 203 11 12 2 1 0 8 .251 77 74

As I hadn't seen a winning season as an Orioles fan until my freshman year of high school, so I'll take it.

If you don't mind, I'll take it a step further.

Even if the Orioles had had nothing but winning records your entire life, you can still "take it", regardless.

Don't ever feel like you have to justify your joy at any Orioles victory, no matter how large or small. Whether it be winning the American League Championship and going to the World Series, attaining the best cumulative record in the American League over the last 4 years, or even if the Orioles simply win 2 out of 3 games from an opponent in the regular season.

One thing that I respect Roy Firestone for is that he NEVER takes the proverbial temperature of the board when he posts. He says what he thinks, doesn't worry whether or not it will be met with disdain, and he leaves it at that.

And I hope that you feel the same way in your Orioles fandom. Just a suggestion from a fellow Oriole fan. :)

As I hadn't seen a winning season as an Orioles fan until my freshman year of high school, so I'll take it

I've always considered the idea that the Orioles conspired against me. They didn't have a losing record in my lifetime until I was 15. So they hooked me, pulled me in, and made me a lifetime fan. Then they immediately went about having something like 8 winning seasons in the next 29 years.

I've always considered the idea that the Orioles conspired against me. They didn't have a losing record in my lifetime until I was 15. So they hooked me, pulled me in, and made me a lifetime fan. Then they immediately went about having something like 8 winning seasons in the next 29 years.

I didnt get my first taste of winning baseball until 1982, and of course the WS in 1983.

A couple of good years in 96 & 97 and again in 2012 & 2014.

Been more bad years than good years, but I am still here rooting them on.

Duquette has put together a nice record, but a lot of that (not all of it) is on the back of the core Andy MacPhail built in 2008-2011. Duquette has done a pretty good job of adding season-to-season (particularly in 2014), but we haven't seen him make many long plays yet. I'm hoping we see some of that this offseason.

Duquette has put together a nice record, but a lot of that (not all of it) is on the back of the core Andy MacPhail built in 2008-2011. Duquette has done a pretty good job of adding season-to-season (particularly in 2014), but we haven't seen him make many long plays yet. I'm hoping we see some of that this offseason.

Hard to play long when you have been successful since you arrived. It's a challenge.

As I hadn't seen a winning season as an Orioles fan until my freshman year of high school, so I'll take it

I hadn't seen winning until I was in college. I don't count the late 90s because honestly I was probably more interested in Legos and playing outside than I was in watching baseball. It's nice to have a team that is competitive at the least, I would however like to see a title as I'm sure most of the older guys here on the board have. What does it feel like!

I hadn't seen winning until I was in college. I don't count the late 90s because honestly I was probably more interested in Legos and playing outside than I was in watching baseball. It's nice to have a team that is competitive at the least, I would however like to see a title as I'm sure most of the older guys here on the board have. What does it feel like!

When you're in the 6th grade and the team has never had a losing season in your lifetime it feels good, but you don't know any better. You think the way the world works is that the Orioles will win every year and go to the Series every few years and win that most of the time they get there. You have no comprehension that the team was mostly old and put together with Earl's platoon players and that the farm system was barren and the budget small. Because of all that I more fondly look back at '89 and '12 than I do '83.

When you're in the 6th grade and the team has never had a losing season in your lifetime it feels good, but you don't know any better. You think the way the world works is that the Orioles will win every year and go to the Series every few years and win that most of the time they get there. You have no comprehension that the team was mostly old and put together with Earl's platoon players and that the farm system was barren and the budget small. Because of all that I more fondly look back at '89 and '12 than I do '83.

I was 8 in 1983, so really too young to truly appreciate a championship. The 1989 season was the first season where I was glued to every game, and that was honestly just an awesome year. The Jays killed me that year and I hated them until 1994 when we started beating them regularly and they stopped mattering. 1996-1997 was the height of everything for me. I was finishing college, had no wife or kids, and could focus a ton of my time and energy on following the Os. The 1997 season was probably my second favorite ever (2012 was the best) because we were so ridiculously deep and talented. The loss to the Indians was (and still is) gut-wrenching because we were the best team in baseball that year.

2012 was my favorite team in any sport. The season came out of nowhere, we won so many one run games, and we literally went an entire regular season without any team walking off on us (the only time it happened all year was in Game 3 of the ALCS). So in terms of painful losses, we basically had none. And even though we lost to the Yankees, I was super proud of that team and those guys.

Last season was a dream season in a lot of ways, but I don't know that I will ever look back on it fondly like 2012. It just ended too poorly. An uneven distribution of very critical injured players and a barrage of bloop hits just conspired to cut us short.

Although I absolutely fear we are heading into 1999 - 2011 again, I really hope we can instead do what the Giants do and just become good again in even years.

1983 for me, was my first taste of real victory, but it also got rid of a very bad taste in my mouth from the baseball strike back in 1981.

I really thought in 1996 they were going to get there again, and well, no need to go into details, we all know the outcome.

It was darn good to see 2012 thats for sure and 2014 was much like 1996, high hopes and then playoffs over too early.

Archived