How to handle Matt Wieters Qualifying Offer

wildcard

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would offer Matt 4/50m now. Then give him a QO when the deadline comes for that. That would make it very hard for him to accept the QO.

I think Matt will average 20 HR and 80 RBI over the next 4 years. I think he will return to being a solid defensive catcher. So 12.5m per year is a bargain for that kind of production.

The O's need lefthanded hitters. Matt is a switch hitter. The O's need to maintain some of their leaders. Matt's preparation for calling a game is well known. I would not be surprised to see the O's be out for the bidding for Davis and Chen but resign Wieters.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/10/poll-should-the-orioles-make-matt-wieters-a-qualifying-offer.html

What do you think?

I wouldn't offer Matt 4/50 because I wouldn't want him to accept it. And I am a bigger fan of Wieters than many on here.

It's a bit different at short and center where we have no real replacements. Pitching should be the major area of focus for the Birdies. I really hope that they sign O'Day although I doubt that it will happen. Also, Chen and Davis il probably go. Wieters can be replaced by two adequate catchers. That has been proven this year. Give him the offer, get a pick, and thank him for the years where he never really reached his potential.

I don't undestand how offering him 4/50M now makes it hard for him to accept the QO. What's the connection?

We most likely got the best years of Matt Wieters disappointing career. Thanks and goodbye. I'll chance the QO and look to deal him if he accepts.

If Boras/Wieters have already been offered 4/50 it will hard for them to settle for 1/15.8. It doesn't mean they would take the 4/50 offer without seeing if they could get something better but it makes it hard for them to settle 15.8.

If Boras/Wieters have already been offered 4/50 it will hard for them to settle for 1/15.8. It doesn't mean they would take the 4/50 offer without seeing if they could get something better but it makes it hard for them to settle 15.8.

And once they turn down the QO you pull the 4/50 offer.

Brilliant!

And once they turn down the QO you pull the 4/50 offer.

Brilliant!

I think Boras would wait for a better offer. He would probably go to January if necessary trying to get something better. The O's could weigh in the meantime if there is a better use for the money. If there is, pull it. If not, re-sign Wieters.

I think Boras would wait for a better offer. He would probably go to January if necessary trying to get something better. The O's could weigh in the meantime if there is a better use for the money. If there is, pull it. If not, re-sign Wieters.

While I think there is a very good chance for him to have a nice bounce-back year I am hesitant to test that theory over a four year commitment.

While I think there is a very good chance for him to have a nice bounce-back year I am hesitant to test that theory over a four year commitment.

Buck and Dan know Wieters best. They know his physical condition. They have the MRIs and the doctors opinions. If they think Wieters would bounce back to where he was prior to the surgery he is worth more than 4/50. 20 homer and 80 RBI from a catcher is hard to find. We are talking ages 30-33. 4 years is a decent bet.

If Wieters had not been hurt he would be looking at 5/85. That is what McCann got.

Buck and Dan know Wieters best. They know his physical condition. They have the MRIs and the doctors opinions. If they think Wieters would bounce back to where he was prior to the surgery he is worth more than 4/50. 20 homer and 80 RBI from a catcher is hard to find. We are talking ages 30-33. 4 years is a decent bet.

If Wieters had not been hurt he would be looking at 5/85. That is what McCann got.

Is Wieters worth $11.5 million a year more than Joseph? Will Wieters ever catch 130 games in a season again?

With so many holes to fill, and catcher not being one of them, I don't want the O's to find out the answers to those questions by paying MW 4/50.

Oh, I thought your initial post was just a sleight-of-hand to try to guarantee Boras would turn down the QO before going elsewhere. You're actually serious about a long-term deal for Wieters at $12M+ per.

No, I wouldn't do that at all. Stick him with the QO, and offer him some nice parting gifts and an Atlanta real estate guide.

Is Wieters worth $11.5 million a year more than Joseph? Will Wieters ever catch 130 games in a season again?

With so many holes to fill, and catcher not being one of them, I don't want the O's to find out the answers to those questions by paying MW 4/50.

i

Joseph is a good defensive catcher. But his frame is not built to even start 100 games. His offense suffers when he does. He opening talks about the toll catching takes on his body. He should never be confused with the horse that Wieters was and might be again. Joseph can't catch enough games to hit 20 hr and 80 RBI.

The combination of Wieters and Joseph puts the O's near the top of the league in catcher production. Where else is the O's going to spend 12.5m of next year's budget and get 20 hr and 80 RBI in switch hitting or lefthanded power?

i

Joseph is a good defensive catcher. But his frame is not built to even start 100 games. His offense suffers when he does. He opening talks about the toll catching takes on his body. He should never be confused with the horse that Wieters was and might be again. Joseph can't catch enough games to hit 20 hr and 80 RBI.

The combination of Wieters and Joseph is puts the O's near the top of the league in catcher production. Where else is the O's going to spend 12.5m of next year budget and get 20 hr and 80 RBI in switch hitting or lefthanded power?

The last time Wieters hit 20 or more home runs he played in 148 games. Is that what you expect of 30 year old Matt Wieters next season, or 33 year old Matt Wieters in 2019? He was so worn down that year (2013) that his OPS+ was below 100. The Matt Wieters you write of may not exist anymore. I don't want to risk $50 mm to find out.

Oh, I thought your initial post was just a sleight-of-hand to try to guarantee Boras would turn down the QO before going elsewhere. You're actually serious about a long-term deal for Wieters at $12M+ per.

No, I wouldn't do that at all. Stick him with the QO, and offer him some nice parting gifts and an Atlanta real estate guide.

I think the approach does keep Wieters from accepting the QO. I don't think Boras settles for 4/50 unless he has to. Odds are another team offer more sometime this off season. But I think Buck would be happy to have Wieters for 4 more years.

The last time Wieters hit 20 or more home runs he played in 148 games. Is that what you expect of 30 year old Matt Wieters next season, or 33 year old Matt Wieters in 2019? He was so worn down that year (2013) that his OPS+ was below 100. The Matt Wieters you write of may not exist anymore. I don't want to risk $50 mm to find out.

Show me a better use of the 50M.

A healthy Wieters has never had the luxury of having a back up like Joseph. Wieters could probably play less games and be more productive at the plate with Joseph taking some of the workload in the heat of the summer. Matt hits pretty well when his legs are fresh. With Joseph as backup he could stay more rested than he have ever been.

Show me a better use of the 50M.

A healthy Wieters has never had the luxury of having a back up like Joseph. Wieters could probably play less games and be more productive at the plate with Joseph taking some of the workload in the heat of the summer. Matt hits pretty well when his legs are fresh. With Joseph as backup he could stay more rested than he have ever been.

1. Sign Kazmir

2. Sign Span and Jaso

3. Include it in an extension for Manny

4. Sign 6 international players we've been reluctant to bid for

I'm sure there are more, but these four come to mind immediately. There are too many holes to fill to pay Wieters.

Archived