World Series record never mentioned

Ori-Al

Every year I watch the World Series, and every year I don't hear mention of a World Series record that may never be broken, the 33 consecutive scoreless innings pitched by the 1966 Orioles pitchers. You'd think that at some time when a broadcast crew is praising a pitcher for a good game, or a pitching staff for multiple games, someone would mention it. But, no.

o

Willie Mays Aikens was the first player ever to have multiple home run games in the same World Series.

He did it for the Royals in 1980.

Chase Utley tied Aikens by doing it in 2009, for the Phillies.

Strangely enough, Aikens' Royals and Utley's Phillies both lost those respective World Series.

Every year I watch the World Series, and every year I don't hear mention of a World Series record that may never be broken, the 33 consecutive scoreless innings pitched by the 1966 Orioles pitchers. You'd think that at some time when a broadcast crew is praising a pitcher for a good game, or a pitching staff for multiple games, someone would mention it. But, no.

Rookie Jim Palmer bested Sandy Koufax in Game 2. Sandy's last game ever.

The more amazing fact was that the Orioles only used one reliever, Moe Drabowsky, and that was in game 1.Moe struck out a still standing record 11 hitters as a reliever in a WS including 6 in a row. It may have been the greatest relief performance of all time in World Series play. The other amazing thing about this series, where Oriole pitchers never gave up a run after the third inning of the first game, was that they used only 1 reserve player all series. THAT was Russ Snyder who alternated with Curt Blefary in LF. Other than that the Orioles used the same roster and same starters all series long. One of the greatest feats in baseball history in my opinion.

Grover Cleveland Alexander: ) Game Seven, 1926 (vs. Yankees)

Moe Drabowsky: ) Game One, 1966 (vs. Dodgers)

Randy Johnson: ) Game Seven, 2001 (vs. Yankees)

Those are the first three that come to mind for myself.

The more amazing fact was that the Orioles only used one reliever, Moe Drabowsky, and that was in game 1.Moe struck out a still standing record 11 hitters as a reliever in a WS including 6 in a row. It may have been the greatest relief performance of all time in World Series play.The other amazing thing about this series, where Oriole pitchers never gave up a run after the third inning of the first game, was that they used only 1 reserve player all series. THAT was Russ Snyder who alternated with Curt Blefary in LF. Other than that the Orioles used the same roster and same starters all series long. One of the greatest feats in baseball history in my opinion.

So, you're saying they lacked depth? :)

I have to put Bumgarner's Game 7 on there, at least above Johnson's. He pitched a CG shutout 2 days before it and came in in the 5th inning. 5 innings, 2 hits, no walks, no runs.. 2 days rest.

The more amazing fact was that the Orioles only used one reliever, Moe Drabowsky, and that was in game 1.Moe struck out a still standing record 11 hitters as a reliever in a WS including 6 in a row. It may have been the greatest relief performance of all time in World Series play. The other amazing thing about this series, where Oriole pitchers never gave up a run after the third inning of the first game, was that they used only 1 reserve player all series. THAT was Russ Snyder who alternated with Curt Blefary in LF. Other than that the Orioles used the same roster and same starters all series long. One of the greatest feats in baseball history in my opinion.

I have to put Bumgarner's Game 7 on there, at least above Johnson's. He pitched a CG shutout 2 days before it and came in in the 5th inning. 5 innings, 2 hits, no walks, no runs.. 2 days rest.

Maybe. That was a great one by Bumgarner, for sure.

But both Johnson and Grover Cleveland Alexander were pitching on NO REST in their Game 7 appearances.

Alexander had pitched a complete game to win Game Six the day before his Game Seven relief appearance in 1926. In that 7th game, he faced Murderers Row, coming in with the bases loaded and two outs in the 7th inning with only a 1-run lead, and he finished the game (2.33 innings.)

Johnson had pitched 7 innings (104 pitches) of 2-run ball in Game Six the day before his Game Seven relief appearance in which he went 4 up, 4 down to hold the Yankees at bay for 1.33 innings while the Diamondbacks' offense made their thrilling, come-from behind rally in the bottom of the 9th to win it.

It might be a bit unfair, but it seems like if things happened before the ESPN highlight/hype era, it doesn't really seem to matter.

Absolutely. Just like the NFL before the Super Bowl ..... like past history never happened

Yes.

For example, people often assert that no team has ever won 3 consecutive Super Bowls.

While that is technically true, the Green Bay Packers did indeed win 3 consecutive world championships in 1965, 1966, and 1967.

It was not the Packers' fault that they did not start playing Super Bowls until the conclusion of the 1966 season.

Between 1933 and 1965, their was a world championship game played every year between the respective winners of the Eastern division and the Western division of the NFL ...... and all 33 of those world championships count just as much as do the 49 world championships that have been won in the Super Bowl era.

Archived