Is the Blue Jays' competitive window closing?

mdbdotcom

Stroman is back for a full season. There is a solid collection of young players that will starting out HiA and above next year. The rookie/complex league has impressive high-upside kids. They've got some money to spend. Infield of Donaldson, Tulowitzki, Travis coming back. Yeah, I think we should hold-off on the eulogy for now.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Jays aren't going anywhere next year. Returning a lineup that BY FAR scored the most runs in baseball I think they are a pretty good bet to do that again next season. Don't think they won't make a run at resigning Price either.

I would be surprised if they resigned Price.

Well that's settled, then.

When asked by the local press, I don't think any player has ever said, "No way I'm coming back here," even if that were the truth.

I remember when Palmeiro left Baltimore the first time. Someone I knew, who worked at the ballpark, overheard him saying, "I can't wait to get out of here." But when the press was around, it was always, "I'd love to come back."

There is absolutely no benefit to any of these guys revealing what they really think.

I kinda love the whole "screw it" move Anthropolos took at the deadline. He knew he was leaving so he just sold the farm and went for it. Time will tell how much those moves hurt Toronto in the future. The Dickey-for-Syndergaard and D'Arnaud trade looks pretty bad now.

When asked by the local press, I don't think any player has ever said, "No way I'm coming back here," even if that were the truth.

I remember when Palmeiro left Baltimore the first time. Someone I knew, who worked at the ballpark, overheard him saying, "I can't wait to get out of here." But when the press was around, it was always, "I'd love to come back."

There is absolutely no benefit to any of these guys revealing what they really think.

Ah, but was he pointing his finger as he said it? :laughlol:

Stroman is back for a full season. There is a solid collection of young players that will starting out HiA and above next year. The rookie/complex league has impressive high-upside kids. They've got some money to spend. Infield of Donaldson, Tulowitzki, Travis coming back. Yeah, I think we should hold-off on the eulogy for now.

More or less how I see it. They'll replace some of the pitching. Buehrle was making $20 mm last year and they can do better than that for that kind of coin.

I do think Bautista and Encarnacion are kind of one-year ticking time bombs. Both have been very productive players who have vastly outperformed their contracts. Both have one year remaining on their deals. Bautista (5.1 rWAR this year) only makes $14 mm next year, and he'll be 35. Encarnacion (4.7 rWAR this season) makes $10 mm next year and he'll be 33. After 2016 the Jays will either will have to say goodbye to those two, or pay market prices for aging guys. Donaldson also is going to start getting much more expensive (he made only $4.4 mm this year as a Suoer-Two) and will probably start declining.

My bottom line: no reason the Jays shouldn't be a top contender in 2016 with a reasonable offseason, but 2017 and beyond is cloudier.

As to Anthopolous, I think he made some debatable moves, but he also made a lot of great ones. He signed Bautista and Encarnacion to deals that were steals, the Donaldson trade was a steal, and he did a brilliant job of stockpiling draft picks under the old rules and used his picks wisely. I don't think Jays fans can really complain too much about his tenure.

Archived