What offers do you think the O's will make pending free agents?

mdbdotcom

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope Wieters re-signs. Wieters, Manny & Schoop up the middle is the basis for a really good core. IF he takes of the QO, he's gone a year later. If he succeeds next year, he'll get a 6 year contract elsewhere, if he fails next year, he won't get an offer after a 15 million dollar failure.

The O's should sign him to 4 /42.

I find it interesting that you are, at least with the benefit of hindsight, against the Hardy deal but you are in favor of extending Wieters, who in my mind, presents a similar risk profile.

He's in favor of spending money. He's in favor of showing the fans that the Orioles are serious. No matter the results. He's in favor of the old stars and young stars model of roster building.

I think that he is in favor of complaining and pissing on the Orioles and their front office more than anything.

And the Orioles' sub-par 81-81 2015 season has given him plenty of ammunition to do so.

And when asked about the Orioles' previous 3 consecutive winning seasons prior to 2015 (which included 2 playoff appearances), he pooh-poohs that and talks about how the Orioles have not won the World Series since 1983, and that the Orioles have had a lousy 4 postseason appearances in the 32 seasons since (1984-2015.)

His agenda is obvious, and his schtick is annoying ...... although I suspect that that is exactly what he wants (to be annoying, and to get under people's skin.)

Davis: QO 5/100 he signs with the Cardinals for 7/160

Chen: QO he signs with a team on the West Coast for 5/90

Wieters: QO he signs with Atlanta for 4/55

O'Day: 4/22 he stays an Oriole

Pearce: 2/10 he stays an Oriole

Parra: 3/27 he signs elsewhere for 5/55

I think you are way off on Parra. No one values those types of guys that much or that long. The O'Day fourth year is a horrendous thing, but the AAV is within reason. Pearce, spot on.

Is that you, Gerardo?

I'm surprised so many people expect the O's to offer Davis 100MM+ and yet so many people see it as a foregone conclusion that he's gone.

I think the Orioles will offer Davis a contract north of 100 million. I also think he will get a much higher offer to play somewhere else.

The Orioles has shown no interest in being the top bidder on any 1st tier player in free agency since before they allowed the Nationals to move in to DC. Some team with way more resources will open the Brinks truck and all the O's will do is watch.

I'm not advocating that they give Davis a blank check. To save face with the average fan the Orioles will likely play the game by making a good offer that they know Scott Boras will never accept. Similar to what they did when Texeira was a free agent.

Archived