What if the QO is rejected and one of the last 10 teams sign said player?

foxfield

For example, if Matt Wieters is given and rejects the QO and then say signs with Atlanta who has their first round pick protected, are the O's SOL? I do not understand the process and thought I may not be the only one who needs to be enlightened on the subject.

Thanks

For example, if Matt Wieters is given and rejects the QO and then say signs with Atlanta who has their first round pick protected, are the O's SOL? I do not understand the process and thought I may not be the only one who needs to be enlightened on the subject.

Thanks

The compensation pick has nothing to do with who signs the player.

The compensation pick has nothing to do with who signs the player.

Correct the team losing the player gets a pick between the first and second round.

From Cots Contracts.

Free Agent Compensation

A club is entitled to compensation when a free agent signs elsewhere if 1) he had played with the former club since Opening Day of the previous season, 2) the club made the player a Qualifying Offer in the amount of the average salary of the 125 highest-paid player in the game, and 3) the player declined the Qualifying Offer and signs a Major League contract with another club before the next Rule 4 First Year Player Draft.

Amounts for Qualifying Offers in recent years:

2013: $13.3 million

2014: $14.1 million

2015: $15.3 million

2016: $15.8 million

The free agent?s former club receives a supplemental draft pick between the first and second rounds. If more than one club is entitled to a supplemental pick, selections are awarded in reverse order of won-loss percentage in the recently completed season.

The free agent?s new club forfeits its highest-available selection in the next Rule 4 First Year Player Draft. (The pick is simply eliminated rather than being awarded to the former club, as it was under the previous CBA.) A club signing more than one free agent subject to compensation forfeits its highest remaining selection for each signing. The first 10 selections in the Rule 4 First Year Player Draft are protected and cannot be forfeited. If a club holding one of the first 10 draft picks signs a free agent subject to compensation, that club forfeits its next-highest selection in the draft. With the exception of draft picks awarded for failure to sign a player in the previous Rule 4 First Year Player Draft, all of a club?s draft picks ? including draft picks acquired by trade, compensatory draft picks awarded for losing a free agent, and Competitive Balance or Forfeited Draft Pick selections ? are subject to forfeiture for signing a qualified free agent.

Thanks

Means nothing. They don't lose their pick. We still get ours.

does anyone think the O's will offer Wieters $15.2 mill for one year on the off-chance that he actually may be the first player in history to take the QO?

...yeah.....just the O's luck to probably have it happen!

Why would that be so terrible. Isn't part of the reason our window is supposedly closing because we are losing free agents. So one of them stays on a one year deal and it would be something terrible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

does anyone think the O's will offer Wieters $15.2 mill for one year on the off-chance that he actually may be the first player in history to take the QO?

...yeah.....just the O's luck to probably have it happen!

No one has ever accepted a QO. No one. Ever.

Did I do that right Weams? ?

Why would that be so terrible. Isn't part of the reason our window is supposedly closing because we are losing free agents. So one of them stays on a one year deal and it would be something terrible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm all for Wieters accepting the QO. Best case scenario.

Theoretically possible but the available information all points towards a refusal.

Scenario: Wieters is a huge fan of Big Trouble in Little China. He's involved in an off-season production of a stage play based on the movie with Wieters in the Kurt Russell role. During one of the fight scenes he is horribly injured. This takes place between the O's offering the QO and Boras rejecting. Due to the injury they take the QO just to grab the cash. Plausible?

Archived