The Best Way to Have a Chance at Machado Long Term

brianod

I've read numerous posts recommending we save all our money so that we can throw it all at Manny. This is a terrible strategy imho. If we lose Davis, Weiters, Chen and O'Day, no amount of money will be sufficient to keep Manny. The ultimate outcome of that scenario is probably to lose Buck and Adam Jones. Our franchise's future is hanging by a thread and DD better make some good decisions with his limited budget. To keep Manny, we need to show Manny that we will compete in the off season and on the field.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a very "sky is falling" post and it's really hard to take seriously. Machado's decision to sign a contract has zero, nothing to do with where Davis et al. wind up.

For instance, take a look at Adam Jones and his contract. When was it signed? Were the Orioles completely trash when he signed it?

Agree to an extent. I'm sure he will want to see this organization's commitment to winning before signing a deal but that could come in any combination. It isn't necessarily about those four guys as much as it is about the combination of new additions, front office leadership, development pipeline, etc.

If this offseason comes and goes and all four of those guys leave and we sign two Marty Cordova's, a #4 starter and a journeyman reliever, than yeah, I probably wouldn't consider an extension either.

I've read numerous posts recommending we save all our money so that we can throw it all at Manny. This is a terrible strategy imho. If we lose Davis, Weiters, Chen and O'Day, no amount of money will be sufficient to keep Manny. The ultimate outcome of that scenario is probably to lose Buck and Adam Jones. Our franchise's future is hanging by a thread and DD better make some good decisions with his limited budget. To keep Manny, we need to show Manny that we will compete in the off season and on the field.

Seriously. Did Manny tell you this?

Agree to an extent. I'm sure he will want to see this organization's commitment to winning before signing a deal but that could come in any combination. It isn't necessarily about those four guys as much as it is about the combination of new additions, front office leadership, development pipeline, etc.

If this offseason comes and goes and all four of those guys leave and we sign two Marty Cordova's, a #4 starter and a journeyman reliever, than yeah, I probably wouldn't consider an extension either.

I agree with you. I'm not saying we have to sign those guys but I am saying that Manny isn't going to sign with us long term unless we prove to him that we are a relevant, competitive franchise. It's nice to have Manny long term but one player doesn't do much.

The best way to sign Machado long term is to offer him an obscene amount of money and then start haggling.

You start at Stanton and waggle your finger and say. "Now don't break your Hamate, it saps your power. And try not to get hit in the face either."

The best way to sign Machado long term is to offer him an obscene amount of money and then start haggling.

Putting all the financial eggs in Manny's basket isn't a formula for success. I would rather let him go than do that. We seem to all forget he's had two knee surgeries. This organization doesn't have the depth in the minor leagues to give Manny 300 million. We need to build that depth, remain competitive and hope that by the time we need to throw money at him, we have a bright future. I believe to Manny, that would mean more than the difference between 250 and 300 million.

There is zero chance Manny signs on with the Orioles. If we're going back and forth on whether the Orioles pony up for Chris Davis, what makes anyone think the Orioles gonna put up the cash for what it probably will take to sign Machado? We had a chance to go to the dance and we put all our eggs in a Travis Snider basket. Might as well get it in your heads now, Manny will not be on this Orioles team come his time to tell the Orioles to "Cut the check".

The Orioles can certainly sign Manny to a long term deal if they decide that he is the ONE. But sometimes in the Matrix, it is hard to know if he really is the ONE.
hes the best baseball player the Orioles have had since Cal. There's no one in the system who has Mannys potential. He is our Trout. Our Harper. He can the same money the Orioles could pay him for a dozen teams. If you sell him to sign here you have to show that he has the opportunity to play post seasons and compete for a title

He owes the team o loyalty. The Orioles are paying him less than he's worth because that's the system. He plays for less now, to make bank later. Are the Orioles altering that equation? No.

Mannys going to get a 10/280-320 if he holds up. Will he sign here to be surrounded by cheap parts? Or can the Orioles prove they are serious about surrounding hi with talent so he'll take 8/225

Archived