The Best Way to Have a Chance at Machado Long Term

brianod

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What do you think is more important to him....Winning or playing SS?

..or signing with X team. Or the delta between 10/280 and 6/150?. Or being on a team with his buds? Or being in (insert city here). Or prestige. Or media attention vs. privacy. Being on an underdog vs. a big market superteam. I'd guess even he hasn't sat down and really prioritized all of this, and it might change all the time.

Money is always important.

A guy like Manny though can afford the luxury of being selective, if he so chooses and don't think Manny does not know it. I am sure he would prefer a nice extension that secures his financial future and gives him a chance to cash in further later. I am not convinced though that Manny will forgo becoming a FA sooner to stay with a team that he perceives as not having the horses to win. Yes if the Orioles throw enough cash at him, he will eventually sign. Does that sound like the Orioles style though? The best route/chance to getting Manny to stay at a reasonable deal for both sides to have him feel some sense of confidence that the Orioles will be committed to winning if he stays. Seeing Cruz, Miller, Nick leave the year before and seeing CD, Chen and DOD leave this year without doing some significant investing to replace those guys is not going to inspire Manny to want to stay unless we just make it impossible for him to say no.

Are those his choices?
Well if he was told the team had a better chance of winning with Hardy at SS and Manny at 3b, do you think he would still want to play SS?
I think he has already been told that.

I believe it is absolutely about the money. Even in the quote that I though he had not made, he did make it clear that all things (money) being equal, he would love to stay here. They only opportunity for him to have mega money for a while is from us. He said if we give it to him, there is no reason he would want to leave. Mega Money.

I believe it is absolutely about the money. Even in the quote that I though he had not made, he did make it clear that all things (money) being equal, he would love to stay here. They only opportunity for him to have mega money for a while is from us. He said if we give it to him, there is no reason he would want to leave. Mega Money.

Every player says that. I don't put any stock in what players say, unless they are going against the grain.

I have serious doubts that Manny will be better than JJ at short. And it's quite a reach to say Manny isn't going to sign unless the Orioles reconfigure the defense in what's probably a sub-optimal way. Do we really want that? Do we really want another ARod/Jeter situation (yes, I know you think that the defense will counter-intuitively be better)?

Wasn't it Manny who brought up the topic of signing a long-term deal with the Orioles, shortly after the season ended? I'm sure if he brought it up, then he's open to it, if the money is there. He knows J.J. is here for two more years and that he won't be moving to SS unless Hardy is hurt.

Wasn't it Manny who brought up the topic of signing a long-term deal with the Orioles, shortly after the season ended? I'm sure if he brought it up, then he's open to it, if the money is there. He knows J.J. is here for two more years and that he won't be moving to SS unless Hardy is hurt.

Roch Kubatko ‏@masnRoch Oct 4

Manny Machado said he's open to talking to #orioles about extension. Wants to stay here. Club tried few years ago. Would gladly do it again.

Archived