If the Orioles want to be taken seriously, they need to make a splash signing fast...

birdcrazy

Mariners felt pressure to make a splash. Ended up bidding against themselves and signed Cano to a horrible contract. Josh Hamilton, Panda/Hanley, the list goes on. Panic/pressure is never going to lead to good decisions. I would like them to sign some players to fill holes but no contracts would be better than bad contracts.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mariners felt pressure to make a splash. Ended up bidding against themselves and signed Cano to a horrible contract. Josh Hamilton, Panda/Hanley, the list goes on. Panic/pressure is never going to lead to good decisions. I would like them to sign some players to fill holes but no contracts would be better than bad contracts.

The best thing that the Orioles have going for them is no bad contracts. Other than Ubaldo and Hardy. Who will probably both WAR what is left.

The best thing that the Orioles have going for them is no bad contracts. Other than Ubaldo and Hardy. Who will probably both WAR what is left.

It's hard to sell the fanbase on the idea that Nate McLouth, De Aza, and Lough have been as valuable as Josh Hamilton over the past three years for maybe 1/10th of the cost and none of the baggage. Because the Angels wanted it more and were committed to winning while the O's hate their fans.

It's hard to sell the fanbase on the idea that Nate McLouth, De Aza, and Lough have been as valuable as Josh Hamilton over the past three years for maybe 1/10th of the cost and none of the baggage. Because the Angels wanted it more and were committed to winning while the O's hate their fans.

Good point and Trea took his toys and left as a result! :slytf:

A splash signing doesnt make them look serious.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I think a flurry of meaningful activity would tell potential signees that the Orioles are serious. The Orioles have the reputation of being toe dippers in free agency and the international market. When the rubber meets the road the Orioles have backed away from market value.

I honestly don't think that's that tough.

Hamilton is widely regarded as a huge bust of a FA signing.

Sure, the average fan doesn't get every nuance, but that doesn't mean they're idiots.

For example, they can see why signing Kazmir or Lirirano a few years ago, was a much better idea than signing Ubaldo.

They can see how paying basically the same for DeAza/Snyder/Parra vs. Markakis was a huge loss.

People want money spent, sure, but they want it spent well more than anything, or they'll ***** about it being poorly spent. Even the "average" fan.

Compare the Angels and Orioles Results over the past 4 seasons, and tell me exactly, how what they are doing are so much better than what is happening here?

The bolded is undoubtedly true.

That said, no contracts means we're HIGHLY UNLIKELY to compete for a playoff spot.

They simply have to make some moves this offseason. God help us, that they're good moves.

I find this comment appalling personally. I know certain posters here say things lie this putting words in the mouths of others here.

I don't think anyone would say the Orioles hate their fans.

With that said Angelos was a fan and operated like it back in the days that they signed Surhoff, Alomar, Palmeiro (1st time), Bonilla, Belle etc.

Since then he went from a fan owner to a owner that cares more about profits than winning baseball games.

You can cement that with the ridiculous people he had running the organization ... The good people he ran off and his meddling. He botched the Duquette thing last winter which resulted in a missed offseason for the front office.

Sure, the average fan doesn't get every nuance, but that doesn't mean they're idiots.

For example, they can see why signing Kazmir or Lirirano a few years ago, was a much better idea than signing Ubaldo.

They can see how paying basically the same for DeAza/Snyder/Parra vs. Markakis was a huge loss.

People want money spent, sure, but they want it spent well more than anything, or they'll ***** about it being poorly spent. Even the "average" fan.

The average Orioles fan didn't know who Ubaldo was before he was signed. They hated losing Markakis. They don't know Kazmir from me or you. Really, if you went around OPACY on a game day and asked who is Scott Kazmir I'd bet 75% of people wouldn't have a clue. If you asked that of me, my wife and kids, and my parents (all "casual" or average fans except me) I'm the only one who would have any idea. Well... maybe one of my kids would vaguely recognize the name from MLB 2K whatever on their Nintendo DS.

I find this comment appalling personally. I know certain posters here say things lie this putting words in the mouths of others here.

I don't think anyone would say the Orioles hate their fans.

With that said Angelos was a fan and operated like it back in the days that they signed Surhoff, Alomar, Palmeiro (1st time), Bonilla, Belle etc.

Since then he went from a fan owner to a owner that cares more about profits than winning baseball games.

You can cement that with the ridiculous people he had running the organization ... The good people he ran off and his meddling. He botched the Duquette thing last winter which resulted in a missed offseason for the front office.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I should have used "don't care about winning as much as making money" instead of "hate their fans".

The average Orioles fan didn't know who Ubaldo was before he was signed. They hated losing Markakis. They don't know Kazmir from me or you. Really, if you went around OPACY on a game day and asked who is Scott Kazmir I'd bet 75% of people wouldn't have a clue. If you asked that of me, my wife and kids, and my parents (all "casual" or average fans except me) I'm the only one who would have any idea. Well... maybe one of my kids would vaguely recognize the name from MLB 2K whatever on their Nintendo DS.

This is a subjective thing but I think you're wrong.

But what really matters is that at the end of the day, people want money spent, but they really want a winner.

Nobody's going to complain if we run a 50 mil payroll out there next year if we win 95 games.

That's irrefutable.

This is a subjective thing but I think you're wrong.

But what really matters is that at the end of the day, people want money spent, but they really want a winner.

Nobody's going to complain if we run a 50 mil payroll out there next year if we win 95 games.

That's irrefutable.

Or, the fans may complain for a year or two if we struggle to win 75 games in 2015 and 16, but they will forget about it if we win it all in 2018. If you are always playing for this year, you don't build the organization and the only way to compete is bringing in free agents. The key is to minimize the down years and make the most of the good years when you have the opportunity.

Or, the fans may complain for a year or two if we struggle to win 75 games in 2015 and 16, but they will forget about it if we win it all in 2018. If you are always playing for this year, you don't build the organization and the only way to compete is bringing in free agents. The key is to minimize the down years and make the most of the good years when you have the opportunity.

Sure.

But that doesn't really change the fact:

The "average" fan wants to win as much as possible.

And yeah, they clamor for money to be spent, but if you win, you don't hear about it.

And if you lose, all you do is hear about it.

Archived