Wieters is staying with the Orioles for 2016

VeveJones007

I think a lot of the angst is overblown.

Drungo said it well, we got a 2ish win player for 2ish win salary. On a one year deal.

If we can't win w such an onerous contract as that, then the problem isn't Weiters.

Plus, if we want to sign someone to a multi-year deal, we can always backload the contract so as not to go way over budget this year.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Caleb Joseph, class act

"I talked to Matt a few days ago and he kind of updated me on the situation. I told him, 'Buddy, if you accept it, I promise you I'll be the most excited person in that clubhouse.' There's no doubt about it. Matt makes the Baltimore Orioles better and he makes me better and I'm excited to be his teammate again."
"You never know what could happen," Joseph said. "It's sort of a double-edged sword. It's intriguing, but at the same time it's kind of nerve-wracking. But there's more to this life than catching 120 games and making a lot of money. What we're able to get from Matt's family, a relationship and accountability and stability from them, just for me and my wife, it's worth every game that we don't catch and it's worth every penny that we don't make. I can't stress that enough. The relationship that we have is so much more important than who's catching more games and who's catching two in a row.

"I said this back when I got drafted, I'd love to be Matt Wieters' backup for the next 10 years and that was back in 2008. I'm excited about the opportunity to be able to work with Matt again. Just what he brings every day is something I want to emulate. Whether it's 20 games, 50 games, 100 games, as long as the team is winning, I couldn't care less."

source - Roch

Happy with this. We now have a solid catcher rotation in Wieters/Joseph/Clevenger

I don't think this took the O's by surprise either. If I can tell that Matt is likely to accept a QO from over here in the UK, I'm sure they knew it in the Warehouse.

It also may act as a positive signal to other players, that a senior member of the playing staff are happy to return for next season. It may be rather intangible, but it may have the effect of ensuring the perception of the Orioles are a club who are together, and are looking to have a good season.

I would rather have had Wieters reject the QO, but I think the O's took an intelligent calculated risk that just had a sub-optimal outcome. Those who have called it a "gross miscalculation" are mostly just second-guessing the outcome.

The upside here is that Buck can optimize his use of Wieters. He'll catch much more often than he did after he returned in 2015, but Buck won't have to run him into the ground as he did in 2011-13. I won't be surprised if Wieters has his best season as he drives to get his big contract next offseason. And I think Buck will find ways to maximize Joseph's value, too. I'd rather have had the $15.8 mm to spend and the pick, but I don't think this has to turn out to be a disaster.

I would rather have had Wieters reject the QO, but I think the O's took an intelligent calculated risk that just had a sub-optimal outcome. Those who have called it a "gross miscalculation" are mostly just second-guessing the outcome.

The upside here is that Buck can optimize his use of Wieters. He'll catch much more often than he did after he returned in 2015, but Buck won't have to run him into the ground as he did in 2011-13. I won't be surprised if Wieters has his best season as he drives to get his big contract next offseason. And I think Buck will find ways to maximize Joseph's value, too. I'd rather have had the $15.8 mm to spend and the pick, but I don't think this has to turn out to be a disaster.

If Wieters has a good year at the plate, he will provide more offense than any free agent would at that price.l

Unless Potter is willing to break the budget a bit (unlikely), it is going to likely be a non contending team in 2016. We are not signing any of our other major free agents, Davis, Chen, imho. Rather than the marginal moves that will just fill the budget up to its 110 million limit, I am increasingly in favor of at least some rebuild. Trade whatever you can for whatever prospects you can. Britton, Matusz, I would even trade Jones but it would have to be a haul, Hardy if anybody would take him, Wieters after June 15th...try to sign Manny to extension...maybe the prospect of playing short will increase that possibility. Take all the picks and prospects you can and build around Machado, Schoop, Gausman and hope that Harvey, Bundy are miraculously healed.

Of course, this could be a bit glass half empty, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Caleb Joseph, class act

source - Roch

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/blog/orioles-talk/wieters-return-orioles-good-everyone

The team has four players signed for next year: Wieters, J.J. Hardy, Ubaldo Jimenez and Adam Jones. They account for $57.6 million.

Zach Britton, Miguel Gonzalez, Manny Machado and Chris Tillman will be the most expensive of the 11 arbitration-eligible players the team will sign for next year.

Some of the more expensive arb-eligibles, Brian Matusz and Vance Worley, could now conceivably be traded or non-tendered.

Where was all this negativity when we offered the QO to Matt? I didn't see such a backlash against the Orioles for making the offer.

I love the Hangout, and the analysis on payroll and such, but every now and then I like to just be a fan. And as a fan, I'm glad to have Matt back.

Now, if Angelos holds tight to the payroll even though this is only a one year deal, then that is reason to be angry. VERY angry. But I'm not angry to have Wieters back on this team.

That all said...we know Peter, so we better prepare for Walker/Mancini at first, Reimold and Alverez in the outfield, and the same starting rotation next year, without O'Day to save their arses in the 8th inning.

Me too.

wieterswall.gif

Archived