Wieters is staying with the Orioles for 2016

VeveJones007

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So in hindsight we should not have offered the QO, forfeited the chance for the pick and saved the 15.8 M? If Wieters had then gone out and not found a suitable market, and had cone back hat in hand for a pillow contract, would we have been interested. If so how much would have been OK to pay him for one year?

So in hindsight we should not have offered the QO, forfeited the chance for the pick and saved the 15.8 M? If Wieters had then gone out and not found a suitable market, and had cone back hat in hand for a pillow contract, would we have been interested. If so how much would have been OK to pay him for one year?

In that scenario I don't think they would have him back for a single year. No fit and end of story, but longer might be different altogether. I think Buck would have lobbied hard for Wieters' return, and if value alone is the yardstick then I would go 3/24 to 3/30. Scott Boras would have a stroke, and the OH would die laughing at the proposition but reality is a *****.

So should the Orioles not have offered the QO, forfeited the chance for the pick and saved $15.8 million? Hell yes. If I were Peter Angelos I would have one or two very pointed questions right now about the Orioles FO's analysis of MW's market value prior to offering the QO and the methodology they used to arrive at it.

I think Wieters is only an issue if the organization is unable to build the team it wants to build due to cash-flow issues. There is plenty of time to reshuffle the approach, and I think Wieters is capable of not only performing to his contract but outdistancing it.

I like the idea of trading Britton and trying to get a cheap starter.

I don't think a 150 M budget is sustainable, but we could probably manage it for one year if it meant keeping the team competitive, this year, while keeping intact and supplementing the farm system,

Well heck, if you are right then let it fly. Untether the $150M!!!

This is my entire point. Besides blind fandom, there is not good reason to pay Wieters $15.8 million when they had Joseph and name your back up available for about $1 million. Wieters might have a good year and i hope he does now that he's on the team, but I'm not quite sure people gather how much this will affect the rest of the offseason. Does anyone here really think a $14 million difference is not going to affect who the Orioles can go after this offseason?

There is some serious naive fans on this forum when it comes to value and building a team within a tight budget. Adding an additional $15.8 million salary that was not expected is going to majorly affect how the Orioles operate this offseason. Maybe I can put it this way to the fans out there who are think this is a good thing. The Orioles were a .500 team with Wieters last year (actually they were under .500 while Wieters was on the roster but who's counting?) and now they get to double his salary with no appreciable gain from last year's roster.

If we were a big budget team and money didn't really matter or if the Orioles had no capable player ready to take over then I'd be ok with this move, but the Orioles had a capable plan that was going to allow them to spend more money on their holes at LF,RF, 1B, and starting pitching.

Hey, but at least some you can keep that Wieters bobblehead on the mantle.

No doubt this is the point. In the context of our team this is not a good use of $15.8M.

No doubt this is the point. In the context of our team this is not a good use of $15.8M.
So what should the O's front office do? Release him and hope that another team picks him up, and the O's won't have to eat his entire contract? I don't even know if a team is allowed to release a player who has accepted a QO.

What's done is done and cannot be undone. I believe that Angelos can pony up enough cash to help the Orioles in 2016. The Orioles don't have enough depth in the farm system to make trades, so they will have to rely on acquiring/retaining FAs.

I think Wieters is only an issue if the organization is unable to build the team it wants to build due to cash-flow issues. There is plenty of time to reshuffle the approach, and I think Wieters is capable of not only performing to his contract but outdistancing it.

I like the idea of trading Britton and trying to get a cheap starter.

This. It all comes down to Big Peter. I will say this, this is the first time in a couple years I've heard anything out of PA. And positive things at that. I think (I THINK) that he eats this QO and let's Dan still have the $40 million. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 2,357 times... shame on me.

This. It all comes down to Big Peter. I will say this, this is the first time in a couple years I've heard anything out of PA. And positive things at that. I think (I THINK) that he eats this QO and let's Dan still have the $40 million. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 2,357 times... shame on me.

Well you know what they say, 2358th time's the charm. ;)

15.8 is a lot to swallow.

This is my entire point. Besides blind fandom, there is not good reason to pay Wieters $15.8 million when they had Joseph and name your back up available for about $1 million. Wieters might have a good year and i hope he does now that he's on the team, but I'm not quite sure people gather how much this will affect the rest of the offseason. Does anyone here really think a $14 million difference is not going to affect who the Orioles can go after this offseason?

There is some serious naive fans on this forum when it comes to value and building a team within a tight budget. Adding an additional $15.8 million salary that was not expected is going to majorly affect how the Orioles operate this offseason. Maybe I can put it this way to the fans out there who are think this is a good thing. The Orioles were a .500 team with Wieters last year (actually they were under .500 while Wieters was on the roster but who's counting?) and now they get to double his salary with no appreciable gain from last year's roster.

If we were a big budget team and money didn't really matter or if the Orioles had no capable player ready to take over then I'd be ok with this move, but the Orioles had a capable plan that was going to allow them to spend more money on their holes at LF,RF, 1B, and starting pitching.

Hey, but at least some you can keep that Wieters bobblehead on the mantle.

These are all excellent points that I cannot argue... But can we not just be fans every now and then? I said in my post on this that if Peter does not adjust the payroll to accommodate this surprise then I'll be upset, but I'm not angry to have this player on the team, plus I think a year removed from surgery he will be much better than last year.

I never heard that there was 40 million to be spent before that. Either.

True, we don't know the budget. That is assuming the Orioles have about $120 mil which is marginally more than the $117 they had last year. And they won the latest MASN trial.

Adding Vance Worley and Matt Wieters, the team is at an estimated $100.5 mil according to BBR. If they find a way to subract Gonzalez (4.9) and Matusz (3.4) that number drops to $92.2 mil, maybe with a trade piece in return. So somewhere between $20-28 mil left to spend, estimated.

Archived