Shields and Alonso

Pickles

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's really not. It's really 3 years of Shields and 2 years of Alonso at 68. If Alonso produces $20 million in value, he reduces Shields' effective cost to 3/48. Pass.

No, it's still the same.

You pay 60 for 4 years of Kazmir.

Or you pay 68 for 5 years of Shields and Alonso.

The specific breakdown of who provides the value from that pair is largely irrelevant.

Flaherty? As an everyday first baseman? Really? That's a joke.

Only Mancini looks like he could be the player Alonso is. And that's hardly a guarantee.

Rather than invest in Alonzo, I'd play Flaherty until something better comes along. I'd never want him as my everyday first baseman. Or Alonzo.

Rather than invest in Alonzo, I'd play Flaherty until something better comes along. I'd never want him as my everyday first baseman. Or Alonzo.

Alonso is a below-average first baseman with some upside and some potential ways to eek out a little more value by platooning him. Flaherty would be the worst hitting first baseman in baseball a lot of years. I'm not exaggerating when I say that you can find better first basemen on the waiver wire or the six year minor league free agent list. I'm quite skeptical of Christian Walker, but I'd certainly play him at first over Flaherty.

I have to credit SportsGuy who still posts on another site I visit occasionally. He suggested Alonso as a target as well. Alonso is a potential non-tender or at the very least should come fairly cheap in a trade. He's been injury prone and his below average power is suppressed even more in Petco. A good target. He also suggested going after Matt Latos. Latos should be cheap, available on a 1 year or short term contract, and despite some down years with injuries is still relatively young with a track record. We should be gambling on this type of pitcher, not a 23M pitcher.

I'm good with Alonso and Latos as buy-low gambles. The Orioles can't just go out and fill all the holes with market-rate free agents, they have to take some risks. Alonso's career home ISO is actually higher than his road ISO.

The bolded is clearly not true. The fact that he put up the best k rate of his career certainly means SOMETHING.

His best case over the next three years?

Every bit as good as Kazmir's or Volquez' for instance.

What does it mean? Did he add velocity? Did his CB start breaking another 6 inches? Did the split between his FB and CH increase? If these didn't happen, then what's to believe this isn't just happenstance, or that it has more to do with the batters in the NL West?

What is the likelihood he reaches that best case scenario? Best case for Kazmir and Volquez is much more attainable than it is for Shields. Also, does the fact that he's consistently pitched 200 innings support a bounce back, or does it mean there's too much tear on his arm to expect anything but continued decline?

Good targets but just too much money. Shields strikeout rate went up because he got 1-2 free strikeouts a game against the other teams' starting pitcher.

I wouldn't be interested unless we were getting 15-20M in salary relief and that's likely not happening at all or unless we give up some real prospects.

I have to credit SportsGuy who still posts on another site I visit occasionally. He suggested Alonso as a target as well. Alonso is a potential non-tender or at the very least should come fairly cheap in a trade. He's been injury prone and his below average power is suppressed even more in Petco. A good target. He also suggested going after Matt Latos. Latos should be cheap, available on a 1 year or short term contract, and despite some down years with injuries is still relatively young with a track record. We should be gambling on this type of pitcher, not a 23M pitcher.

Alonso, Kotchman. I wonder if SG's favorite player was Wally Joyner.

Good targets but just too much money. Shields strikeout rate went up because he got 1-2 free strikeouts a game against the other teams' starting pitcher.

I wouldn't be interested unless we were getting 15-20M in salary relief and that's likely not happening at all or unless we give up some real prospects.

No interest in Alonzo to play 1B. I don't like the one year deals for the Os. When a player had a good year he leaves as the Orioles can't afford to keep him

At some point developing a strong farm system needs to be a priority. That doesn't happen if we keep trading off the top. The Orioles need to start having organizational depth. Organizations that have that generally have the best off seasons and the best sustained success. I don't think trading for two mediocre deals (who may be decent players) fits that ideal.

Archived