Offseason Rumors and Deals Around MLB

neveradoubt

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea, but many Rockies see their post-Colorado numbers fall somewhere in between their home/road splits. The adjustments to altitude often negatively effect how they play in thick air.
If you apply this to Blackmon then he is a .750- .780 OPS OF with speed, LH bat, and cheap.

3/27.5 for Parra? What on Earth are they smoking in Colorado?

What I don't understand is why trade cost controlled talent just to sign a guy that is likely not as good and costs a lot more money? I guess they want pitching.

I'm not sure what we really have to offer them unless they want to take a flyer on Bundy. Maybe Givens?

I think the Chen deal may be ok for the Marlins because they play in that cavern in the NL. I think the same deal would be AWFUL for the Orioles. I am positive that a loss of even 2 mph will be HUGE for Chen and that loss is coming sooner rather than later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think 2 is cutting it a bit close. If I recall correctly he was a good 1 MPH slower in his first year here.

I do agree he doesn't have much margin for his stuff to decline.

I think the Chen deal may be ok for the Marlins because they play in that cavern in the NL. I think the same deal would be AWFUL for the Orioles. I am positive that a loss of even 2 mph will be HUGE for Chen and that loss is coming sooner rather than later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think 2 is cutting it a bit close. If I recall correctly he was a good 1 MPH slower in his first year here.

I do agree he doesn't have much margin for his stuff to decline.

He has done cardio only for three months.

I understand your reasons for thinking Chen will suffer if his velocity falls, which you have explained in detail previously. But why do you think he will lose velocity sooner rather than later? His average FB has been 91.0, 91.5, 91.9, 91.6. He's 30. I don't see any prima facie reason to think his velocity will start to drop significantly for a few years. Scott Kazmir, for example, dropped 0.6 mph between his age 29 season and his age 31 season. John Lester dropped 0.4 in those years. John Danks threw a bit harder at 30 than he did at 29. J.A. Happ threw harder at 32 than he did at 29. Is there something specific about Chen that makes you think he'll drop velocity soon?

I understand your reasons for thinking Chen will suffer if his velocity falls, which you have explained in detail previously. But why do you think he will lose velocity sooner rather than later? His average FB has been 91.0, 91.5, 91.9, 91.6. He's 30. I don't see any prima facie reason to think his velocity will start to drop significantly for a few years. Scott Kazmir, for example, dropped 0.6 mph between his age 29 season and his age 31 season. John Lester dropped 0.4 in those years. John Danks threw a bit harder at 30 than he did at 29. J.A. Happ threw harder at 32 than he did at 29. Is there something specific about Chen that makes you think he'll drop velocity soon?

He already had his first big velocity drop.

Are you looking at different figures than mine, or do you consider 0.3 a "big velocity drop?" I don't, especially considering that 2014 was higher than 2012-13.

I'm not looking at anything. I am recalling what I have read from his NBP days. Back in the day he supposedly could reach into his back pocket and pull out a 95 if he needed it.

He had some injury issue and the velocity never fully returned.

Yea, but many Rockies see their post-Colorado numbers fall somewhere in between their home/road splits. The adjustments to altitude often negatively effect how they play in thick air.

I was going to say that same thing. Blackmon or Dickerson are cheap enough (at least for this year, in the $4-6 mil range from arbitration) and controlled for a few years... they can acquire one of them and still spend for Chris Davis or Justin Upton. Blackmon is the steadier option - better defender, hits RH and LH fairly evenly - but has less potential. Dickerson may be more of a DH, he has the potential to crunch RHP but may have to be rested vs LHP.

CarGo's another story, but I wonder if the team has to give up all that much if they take on his full salary.

Let's just move the team to LA, then we'll have the cash to add players [emoji41]

- [Ground Rumbling] - Aaah! - [sputtering] - [Crowd Gasps] Time for panic has come.

We must move forward and turn to the towns all-purpose contingency plan.

- You mean Plan "B"? - Yes.

Trottoirs-Gif_zps8000fed8.gif

Archived