Offseason Rumors and Deals Around MLB

neveradoubt

Padres could shop Cashner too:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/padres-notes-ross-cashner-middlebrooks.html

What are the Padres looking for? That article says a "high volume of prospects"...we could give them plenty of prospects but they wouldn't be very good :rolleyes:

Could we do a package deal around Cashner, Shields, Pomeranz for Hardy, Gonzalez, Matusz? That round out our rotation without needing to deal with the exploding FA SP market, not increase our payroll too much, and give us a lefty reliever that can actually pitch to righties.

In terms of prospects they would want, they traded Alonso, so I suppose Walker?

Why would they want any of those guys? None of them have value.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Padres could shop Cashner too:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/padres-notes-ross-cashner-middlebrooks.html

What are the Padres looking for? That article says a "high volume of prospects"...we could give them plenty of prospects but they wouldn't be very good :rolleyes:

Could we do a package deal around Cashner, Shields, Pomeranz for Hardy, Gonzalez, Matusz? That round out our rotation without needing to deal with the exploding FA SP market, not increase our payroll too much, and give us a lefty reliever that can actually pitch to righties.

In terms of prospects they would want, they traded Alonso, so I suppose Walker?

Why would they want any of those guys????

No offense, but don't quit your day job to become a GM!

Why would they want any of those guys????

No offense, but don't quit your day job to become a GM!

Oh they'd certainly want prospects too. I thought that was assumed, I just left it off with Walker, because I'd have no idea who else they would want. They'd want more than him, as well, which is why I left that open ended question in there.

I included Hardy because he balance out Shields' massive salary commitments down the road (and they have no real SS). Shields/Hardy have been discussed on here before. The Padres won't do that straight up, even if it's probably close to a fair trade, as they're looking for prospects.

Cashner/Gonzalez is the interesting part. Cahsner is slightly more expensive this year and only has one more year of control, but is a better pitcher and we'd certainly need to be giving up prospects to pay that difference. That said, Gonzalez is a good gamble for them, they should be interested in him. He's an extreme fly ball pitcher and could do very well in PETCO, that's the exact type of move they should want to do - buy low on a pitcher who fits their park, then move them when they've built up their trade value.

Also, while Matusz has value, Pomeranz is better and cheaper. We'd have to pay the difference in prospect value, as well, for sure - I just know the Orioles want to move Matusz and they want a lefty reliever who can get righties out, and Pomeranz does that.

The question that I have no answer for is: What prospects (other than Walker) might the Padres be interested in that would facilitate a deal?

I should add, Pomeranz does have terrible splits vs. righties over his career, mostly as a starter. He wasn't great against them this year either, even though he made only 9 starts (.326 wOBA). However, he was good in 2014 (.259 wOBA). I don't know where to find his splits vs. RH as a reliever, which is what we'd want to know.

Pomeranz was overall dominant as a reliever in both 2014 and 2015 (.260 wOBA), so I can't imagine his weaknesses against RH hold him back nearly as much as they do Matusz. Altogether, he's still best employed predominantly against lefties, but he'd be a big upgrade from Matusz overall.

That's great. Great news. But then ownership and Duquette can't complain about payroll restrictions when the 1.5 WAR version of Jones is eventually eating-up 15-20% of the payroll. And Ubaldo/Hardy/Britton/whomever it happens to be at the time is also not being moved because "we're trying to win, not rebuild."

There has to be a plan, Weams. At some point, there needs to be a big picture with someone saying "This might not be popular/fun but I guess this is what we need to do." Well, I guess we have that already -- it's just the "unpopular" thing tends to be reclamation projects and/or assets devalued elsewhere. Which gives you a chance for lightening in a bottle and a decent shot at not being "that team" embarrassingly putting together 64 wins on the year.

1.5 WAR version of Jones is eventually eating-up 15-20% of the payroll.

Because there is no sense in crying over spilt milk.

And hopefully the Orioles budgeted the savings early in the contract to cover the backloaded years. Why else do the whole back loading thing?

Also when Jones is overpaid per production, he should only have 1 or 2 years left on his deal. Short term money doesn't hamstring the budget long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1.5 WAR version of Jones is eventually eating-up 15-20% of the payroll.

Because there is no sense in crying over spilt milk.

And hopefully the Orioles budgeted the savings early in the contract to cover the backloaded years. Why else do the whole back loading thing?

Also when Jones is overpaid per production, he should only have 1 or 2 years left on his deal. Short term money doesn't hamstring the budget long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know. So Wieters/Hardy/Ubaldo shouldn't impact what the Orioles do this year and next.

Oh they'd certainly want prospects too. I thought that was assumed, I just left it off with Walker, because I'd have no idea who else they would want. They'd want more than him, as well, which is why I left that open ended question in there.

I included Hardy because he balance out Shields' massive salary commitments down the road (and they have no real SS). Shields/Hardy have been discussed on here before. The Padres won't do that straight up, even if it's probably close to a fair trade, as they're looking for prospects.

Cashner/Gonzalez is the interesting part. Cahsner is slightly more expensive this year and only has one more year of control, but is a better pitcher and we'd certainly need to be giving up prospects to pay that difference. That said, Gonzalez is a good gamble for them, they should be interested in him. He's an extreme fly ball pitcher and could do very well in PETCO, that's the exact type of move they should want to do - buy low on a pitcher who fits their park, then move them when they've built up their trade value.

Also, while Matusz has value, Pomeranz is better and cheaper. We'd have to pay the difference in prospect value, as well, for sure - I just know the Orioles want to move Matusz and they want a lefty reliever who can get righties out, and Pomeranz does that.

The question that I have no answer for is: What prospects (other than Walker) might the Padres be interested in that would facilitate a deal?

Britton. Mancini. Givens. Hess. Sisco. Mountcastle. Wright.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Big, big news out of Cuba: 2B Jose Miguel Fernandez has left Cuba to come to MLB. Story at Baseball America: <a href="https://t.co/kCTxxyErKb">https://t.co/kCTxxyErKb</a></p>? Ben Badler (@BenBadler) <a href="
">December 3, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Watching this guy in the 2013 WBC, I knew he was a stud.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ryan Madson has agreed to a 3-yr, $22M deal with <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Athletics?src=hash">#Athletics</a> pending physical, source says.</p>— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) <a href="

">December 6, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived