Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

Pleaes refresh me on which multi-year deals that O's relievers have gotten in recent years.

Walker, Baez, Gregg, Webb, O'Day, Bradford.

That is off the top of my head mind you.

Of those I would say that O'Day is the only deal that worked out well for the O's.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My position is to not have an arbitrary philosophy of simply letting all relievers go after their arbitration years. We need to treat each reliever individually. The final year of Jim Johnson's career (so far) with the Orioles, he was showing signs that his sinker wasn't sinking that much. He set a record in saves. But also a career record in blown saves. DD was very smart to trade him when he did. I also would have non-tendered Matusz if it meant paying him 3.2M. Matusz is not worth that much. Each reliever has to be considered on an individual basis. My position: O'Day, yes. Matusz and Jim Johnson, no.

As far as targeting relief pitchers in the draft, our needs are to target position players, which is what they did this year. I don't think that O's management should use a draft pick on a reliever who might (or might not) replace a proven quality reliever who is already on the team.

Yea, I said I look at each case.

Did you miss that part?

As for the draft, I am thinking your are a lot more likely to hit on a RP then you are a position player once you get past the first few rounds.

I am certainly not suggesting the O's pop a college reliever with their first round pick.

And the rationale for signing Webb to a multi-year deal is:

career before Baltimore - 1186 BF, 3.29 ERA, 118 ERA+, 1.370 WHIP, 0.4 HR/9, ground ball machine.

2014 Baltimore - 207 BF, 3.83 ERA, 102 ERA+, 1.257 WHIP, 0.4 HR/9, eventually a numbers casualty.

so far in Cleveland - 67 BF, 1.02 ERA, 389 ERA+, 0.736 WHIP, 0.5 HR/9.

There was nothing wrong with the Webb contract to me.

career before Baltimore - 1186 BF, 3.29 ERA, 118 ERA+, 1.370 WHIP, 0.4 HR/9, ground ball machine.

2014 Baltimore - 207 BF, 3.83 ERA, 102 ERA+, 1.257 WHIP, 0.4 HR/9, eventually a numbers casualty.

so far in Cleveland - 67 BF, 1.02 ERA, 389 ERA+, 0.736 WHIP, 0.5 HR/9.

There was nothing wrong with the Webb contract to me.

They could have held onto him if they had some flexibility in the bullpen.

You know, kids making 500K that had options to burn.

Some of the same ones Miller had.

Yeah -- we'll have to see what happens with this flexor situation. A big thing to me though is that there would be no loss of pick. His contract was ultimately too steep even for me at the time.

It confounds me why the team would move Webb with a pick, but it's not my budget, I just pay for a small fraction of revenue.

Yeah -- we'll have to see what happens with this flexor situation. A big thing to me though is that there would be no loss of pick. His contract was ultimately too steep even for me at the time.

It confounds me why the team would move Webb with a pick, but it's not my budget, I just pay for a small fraction of revenue.

Weams thinks Dan liked the players.

Archived