Don't Trade Britton, Extend Him

brianod

In today's baseball, it's a lot easier to manage a pitching staff by getting 5 average starters along with a shut down and deep bullpen. You can build a dominant pen for the cost of one David Price. Not only is it cost efficient, it risk averse. So, the heck with TORs. Let's get 5-7 starters who won't hurt you and build a shut down pen. That's a great strategy for a team with our budget imho.

In today's baseball, it's a lot easier to manage a pitching staff by getting 5 average starters along with a shut down and deep bullpen. You can build a dominant pen for the cost of one David Price. Not only is it cost efficient, it risk averse. So, the heck with TORs. Let's get 5-7 starters who won't hurt you and build a shut down pen. That's a great strategy for a team with our budget imho.

Back in 2012 they build a rotation for less then the cost of a David Price.

These days you can build a bullpen for less then what Boras will want for a Britton extension.

I still don't understand where the "trade Britton" talk is coming from, other than from some people within OH. DD has never even remotely hinted that Britton's on the market. He's coming to Fanfest to sign autographs. Other than that, he's not going anywhere.

I still don't understand where the "trade Britton" talk is coming from, other than from some people within OH. DD has never even remotely hinted that Britton's on the market. He's coming to Fanfest to sign autographs. Other than that, he's not going anywhere.

I would be surprised if he is traded. The teams heavy on closers seem to be very active now and I imagine at least a couple rumors would have floated out if Britton was being seriously discussed. If the Dodgers are working heavy on Chapman I don't see Britton in play there except as a fallback option. If the Cubs end up with Boxberger or McGee plus a starter from Tampa, Baltimore isn't matching that. If Houston is tied tightly to Giles I'd think folks would hear something about Britton as possibility as well. Shrug.

I would be surprised if he is traded. The teams heavy on closers seem to be very active now and I imagine at least a couple rumors would have floated out if Britton was being seriously discussed. If the Dodgers are working heavy on Chapman I don't see Britton in play there except as a fallback option. If the Cubs end up with Boxberger or McGee plus a starter from Tampa, Baltimore isn't matching that. If Houston is tied tightly to Giles I'd think folks would hear something about Britton as possibility as well. Shrug.

And Fanfest has nothing to do with it. If the right offer is there, he's gone. But really. It's moot. Because any team that can't get their closer can still have Papelbon.

Any reasonable explanation as to why he wouldn't be offered?

And Fanfest has nothing to do with it. If the right offer is there, he's gone. But really. It's moot. Because any team that can't get their closer can still have Papelbon.

Not if he's unavailable. Maybe they're saying he's not for sale.

Someone here pointed out a while back that why have a top closer if the team is not going to be a contender? If DD feels the O's are a top 3 team in the AL East, fine. If not trade him. I suppose a lot depends on the meetings and the deals that are signed and/or you could make a deal at the trading deadline. No doubt Britton would help keep the O's in contention longer, but over 162 games there has to be other pieces.

After reading the OH prospect list then the one fangraphs just put up, it makes perfect sense to trade Britton. It doesn't have to be this year. We don't HAVE to. But we have so many arms in the upper minors that profile more as relievers than SP's. Guys like, Wright, Bridwell, and Hess are looking more like back end bullpen guys than starters. Combine that with the slew of relievers we already have: Drake, Garcia, Miranda, Berry, Wilson, Rifenhauser, Macfarland

I know that most of these guys are still starting. As they should. But it seems like DD excels in building BP's. By acquiring depth and trades. Combine that with most of our guys in AA-AAA are likely to become relievers, it puts us in a position to deal from a strength. Hopefully we could turn Britton into that top position prospect or TOR pitcher are system lacks.

No. You need pitchers like David Price, Zach Greinke, Felix Hernandez, Matt Harvey, etc. The Orioles may have that in Kevin Gausman at some point soon but stacking the rotation full of 3's and 4's will exhaust your bullpen and most likely result in injuries.

Has the bullpen looked particularly tired under Buck?

No. You need pitchers like David Price, Zach Greinke, Felix Hernandez, Matt Harvey, etc. The Orioles may have that in Kevin Gausman at some point soon but stacking the rotation full of 3's and 4's will exhaust your bullpen and most likely result in injuries.

The Royals' starters were last in the AL in innings pitched last season. Volquez was the only real good starter, and he's no Greinke or Price..

Archived