Would this be a terrible solution for RF?

BohKnowsBmore

Before I start, I want to make it clear, this is not an endorsement of "going cheap." Regardless of your opinion on the FO, Angelos, MASN money, etc., I would imagine that we can agree that there is some concept of scarce resources and that there is not infinite funds to sign every player available or to afford an all-star at every position. I would like us to resign Davis and/or nab one of the premier OF on the market in Upton or Gordon (prefer Upton, though). That's not even getting into another SP. Further, I would rather sign a big time contributor and be more creative in other spots to stretch the budget rather than getting "decent" acquisitions all over the roster, basically leveraging room on the 25-man roster to implement a platoon opposite a stud contributor rather than two pretty good everyday OF'ers.

If we went and signed an Upton or Gordon, they would almost certainly play LF. What if at RF we went with a platoon of Gerrardo Parra and Dariel Alvarez? What would the thoughts be on this solution? I know a lot of posters here are down on Parra, but Buck seems to like him or at the very least the team is familiar with him and he seemed to get along. Further, we need to see what we have in Alvarez at some point. Upton - Jones - Parra/Alvarez would be a pretty good defensive OF, although I realize that opinions on Parra's defense are all over the map.

Gerrardo Parra (29 in 2016) - $14M/2 years (no clue what he is going to get, but essentially paying him as a ~1 win player). This could have an option year to potentially span his "prime." He may prefer a one year deal in order to try and enhance his value, but I think he'll take a two year deal in which he gets additional guaranteed $$.

Career RHP/LHP Splits - .767/.597

2015 RHP/LHP Splits - .809/.658

Dariel Alvarez (27 in 2016)

Career RHP/LHP Splits - .452/.726*

*Incredibly SSS alert. I have no idea what his minor league splits were like.

Problem is that Parra will likely cost too much to be a platoon player. He'll get closer to 3/$30MM. Otherwise, it's a good thought.

What do you think he would cost? At what price do you think he would make sense? I know he might be a bit expensive for a platoon option, but protecting him from lefties would likely make our production from that spot stronger.

I'm not wedded to Parra, what other LHB are our their that would fit in a similar RF platoon set-up?

By the way, I really like the idea of Span (not as a platoon guy), but we will have to wait on injury and there will likely be a pretty intense competition for his services.

One positive regarding Alvarez, he might help our lineup out vs. the dreaded soft tossing lefty. He's known as a free swinger and relatively low walk guy, but he actually has a pretty low K rate and makes a lot of contact. Perhaps he could have the kind of success we expect but don't get from lineups of the past few years.

If anyone has any knowledge or scouting reports for him that counter this notion, please let me know.

My prediction is, Rickard is going to get a fair amount of ML at bats as the Rule 5 pick, and if he performs to his trends, he is going to be a positive contributor. The OF will probably look like this:

LF - Kim or priority FA

CF - Jones

RF - Kim or priority FA

OF - Rickard

OF - Reimold or Hoes

That leaves Alvarez out of the picture, at least at the start of the season. For whatever reason, the team doesn't seem to be too high on him. But he'll probably have some ML time at some point in the season.

My prediction is, Rickard is going to get a fair amount of ML at bats as the Rule 5 pick, and if he performs to his trends, he is going to be a positive contributor. The OF will probably look like this:

LF - Kim or priority FA

CF - Jones

RF - Kim or priority FA

OF - Rickard

OF - Reimold or Hoes

That leaves Alvarez out of the picture, at least at the start of the season. For whatever reason, the team doesn't seem to be too high on him. But he'll probably have some ML time at some point in the season.

I seem to remember someone, I believe it was Buck, saying last season (around mid-year) that they were going to call Alvarez up to the big club when it was time for him to stay up permanently, which can be read in one of two ways I guess. I took it to mean they viewed him as a part of the LT plan and that once he made it to Baltimore, he would be here to stay. An alternative reading (obviously this isn't the original quote itself) could suggest that the club is iffy on his prospects and are waiting to see that he can contribute.

LF - Kim or priority FA

CF - Jones

RF - Kim or priority FA

OF - Rickard

OF - Reimold or Hoes

Also, I wrote this post prior to any knowledge of Kim, but I think this goes out the window if Kim and Upton can both be obtained.

That said, we could possibly take this approach in RF, have Kim in LF, sign Davis to play 1B (Trumbo is now a DH and occasional OF/1B) and have a bit more $$ leftover to address SP.

Wasn't there a rumor the other day that Parra was pressing for a four-year deal with someone? I'd rather go after Travis Snider and give him 600 PAs than give Parra four years. I'd rather give the job to Dariel Alvarez and accept the fact he'll have a .650 OPS and three walks all year. I think I'd rather give the job to Mike Yastrzemski as a poorly-conceived marketing ploy than guarantee Gerardo Parra four years.

Wasn't there a rumor the other day that Parra was pressing for a four-year deal with someone? I'd rather go after Travis Snider and give him 600 PAs than give Parra four years. I'd rather give the job to Dariel Alvarez and accept the fact he'll have a .650 OPS and three walks all year. I think I'd rather give the job to Mike Yastrzemski as a poorly-conceived marketing ploy than guarantee Gerardo Parra four years.

So, what are you saying? :laughlol:

Archived