Fangraphs: The Oriole's Secret Weapon

Can_of_corn

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-orioles-secret-weapon/

The pitcher threw his fastball about as hard as Andrew Miller, and he also threw strikes about as often as Andrew Miller. He worked in the zone about as much as David Price, yet hitters didn't like to swing at those pitches. He walked batters around the same rate as Corey Kluber, but he struck batters out around the same rate as Jake McGee, because he had a lower contact rate than Jose Fernandez, and a comparable swinging-strike rate to Noah Syndergaard. That's how you wind up with a K-BB% like Dellin Betances, an ERA- like Zack Greinke, an FIP- better than Aroldis Chapman, and an xFIP- like Kenley Jansen. Last year, 476 pitchers threw at least 25 innings. The mystery pitcher performed as one of the very, very best.
Every single indicator points in a positive direction. He’s coming off baseball’s second-best adjusted FIP. Also baseball’s seventh-best adjusted xFIP. The numbers are backed up by what he did in the minor leagues. For all their assorted flaws or mediocrities, the Orioles are shaping up to have another phenomenal bullpen.

Unicorn

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there are two risks with Givens: (1) that he loses a bit of command over a larger number of innings, and (2) that batters figure him out after they've seen him a bit more and stop swinging at pitches that aren't strikes.

I'm reminded a bit of Pedro Strop, who was very dominant at the end of 2011 and almost all of 2012, but ran into trouble in 2013 before we traded him. Strop bounced back nicely with the Cubs, but I'm just saying the path can be rocky at times for these funky delivery guys.

I think there are two risks with Givens: (1) that he loses a bit of command over a larger number of innings, and (2) that batters figure him out after they've seen him a bit more and stop swinging at pitches that aren't strikes.

I'm reminded a bit of Pedro Strop, who was very dominant at the end of 2011 and almost all of 2012, but ran into trouble in 2013 before we traded him. Strop bounced back nicely with the Cubs, but I'm just saying the path can be rocky at times for these funky delivery guys.

You also have to worry about injury risk with a delivery like that. He doesn't have the miles on the arm yet, but something in his delivery has to be putting more stress on something than a conventional motion would.

You also have to worry about injury risk with a delivery like that. He doesn't have the miles on the arm yet, but something in his delivery has to be putting more stress on something than a conventional motion would.

I always thought that sidearm deliveries were less unnatural then the conventional delivery.

I always thought that sidearm deliveries were less unnatural then the conventional delivery.

The general thought that I've always heard is that sidearm motions are better for your shoulder but worse for your elbow. You probably don't want a delivery that's going to be too easy on one at the expense of the other - pitching is going to put a lot of unnatural strain on your body one way or another.

So a sidearm pitcher may be much less likely to have shoulder issues, but be more likely overall than a pitcher with a conventional motion to get hurt. His shoulder isn't carrying much strain and it's instead being diverted somewhere else in the arm that may not be able to handle it as well as the shoulder would.

I wouldn't compare him to Strop. I could be misremembering but despite Strop's velocity he didn't really miss bats AND had bouts of bad command. A couple unlucky BABIP outings and boom.

Command is a valid concern for Givens, but his ability to miss bats should help him mitigate that.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't compare him to Strop. I could be misremembering but despite Strop's velocity he didn't really miss bats AND had bouts of bad command. A couple unlucky BABIP outings and boom.

Command is a valid concern for Givens, but his ability to miss bats should help him mitigate that.

Pedro Strop's career SO/9 is 9.8.

Pedro Strop's career SO/9 is 9.8.

I did not misremember totally. In 2012 his k/9 was 7.87. Not bad but not elite for a reliever. It jumps up to 10 the next year...I'll take a look at the splits (pre/post Cubs) from that year when I get in front of a PC

Archived