The O's 2016 pen is option limited

wildcard

As currently configured the O's pen has very few optionable pitchers.

Britton - out for options

O'Day - can't be optioned

Givens - Has options but if he pitches as well as last year will not be optioned.

Brach - out of options

Matusz - out of options

Bundy - out of options

Worley - out of options

The pitcher that may be the most optionable is Miguel Gonzalez.

True but both Worley and Bundy have the ability to pitch multiple innings. Orioles aren't afraid to option players even like Givens if they have to. Perhaps one of the lefties they pick up will replace Matusz? Of course we don't know if Bundy will be healthy enough to pitch. Injuries always happen.

I am still mystified by the move to resign O'Day. I love O'Day tremendously but he just makes little sense to spend so much money when the Orioles have little room in the bullpen and gaping holes elsewhere.

I wonder if Worley either makes the rotation or gets DFA sooner rather than later.

This is why I'm surprised they chose to DFA Tim Berry instead of Chaz Roe. Roe has no options and isn't a lock to make the 25 man roster.

Well this is all assuming Bundy is going to be healthy, and assuming Worley isn't in the rotation. Roe is a good insurance plan for the beginning of the year. The Norfolk shuttle is always the back up plan. Odds are someone will struggle enough to get DFA'd or an injury will happen. No need to start getting rid of guys before ST. Berry had an 8 ERA in repeating Bowie.

I believe a couple of those pieces will be gone via trade before the season begins, with all the extra pieces we have in the minors, it makes sense that they will clear some room for optionable pieces. Wilson, Wright, Mcfarlane,Drake, Triggs, Jones, and probably a few more may see some time in the pen, not to mention all the lefties we've picked up this offseason.

Archived