Olney, Baltimore Wire, and Augusta Free Press: Chris Davis Should Consider a 1-Year Deal

FanSince88

I disagree with you on this. If his goal is to put up a season that would enable him to make more than he would have on a 7/$150 contract, there aren't many better places than OPACY for a LH power guy to play in 2016. The whole idea of a 1-year pillow contract is being able to demand a better long-term contract next off-season than you are likely to get now.

As much as we'd like him on a one year deal, I think signing with us -- the team offering him $150+ yet it not being enough -- is just too awkward for him/Os.

Other FAs would surely do it. But our Davis? After we put an overwhelmingly high offer out there? Also, on a one year deal, imagine the heightened competition for his services. We'd be priced out at that scale.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As much as we'd like him on a one year deal, I think signing with us -- the team offering him $150+ yet it not being enough -- is just too awkward for him/Os.

Other FAs would surely do it. But our Davis? After we put an overwhelmingly high offer out there? Also, on a one year deal, imagine the heightened competition for his services. We'd be priced out at that scale.

Every other team would have to forfeit a pick. If he signs a 1-year deal, it seems to me that the Orioles are the only logical possibility for both the draft pick reason and the ballpark/fit reason. This is not to say that I think he will end up signing a 1-year deal. I don't. I was just responding to your post that if he signed a 1-year deal, it would not be with the Orioles.

Every other team would have to forfeit a pick. If he signs a 1-year deal, it seems to me that the Orioles are the only logical possibility for both the draft pick reason and the ballpark/fit reason. This is not to say that I think he will end up signing a 1-year deal. I don't. I was just responding to your post that if he signed a 1-year deal, it would not be with the Orioles.

I appreciate your POV, I just think for Davis to now be an O it will require a seemingly more favorable deal than what we originally offered, and certainly not a compromise. Not here. Somewhere else, not here.

On a one-fer, teams will justify the loss of draft pick of they're either "close" or I could see a protected pick team getting involved if only to consider dealing him before the deadline.

I wonder what it would take to sign him for a year.

Would you do a one year deal for $35 mil? $30 mil?

I think a $30 mil one year deal would be fair, actually. It's almost double the QO that Wieters took, and surely CD has the potential to greatly outpace Wieters' offensive numbers, and has more defensive versatility than Wieters does (if not defensive excellence).

Give him what Scott Kazmir got. Tada!

Opt Outs have been a part of baseball since the New York Yankees signed Alex Rodriguez. The though of an Opt Out did not start there per an article in the Boston Globe.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/12/21/speierweb/UZrIVVqjVyv86P5Q5rnvwJ/story.html

Take from it what you will but if Chris Davis wants an Opt Out after three years then the AAV would need to be less.

Opt Outs have been a part of baseball since the New York Yankees signed Alex Rodriguez. The though of an Opt Out did not start there per an article in the Boston Globe.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/12/21/speierweb/UZrIVVqjVyv86P5Q5rnvwJ/story.html

Take from it what you will but if Chris Davis wants an Opt Out after three years then the AAV would need to be less.

I agree. The fact that Price is getting $90 million is ridiculous, and then the fact that he can opt out is just insane to me .

I'd bet someone that he won't sign a one year contract but first I'd have to find someone dumb enough to think that he will.
If he doesn't sign a one year contract who is he signing a multi year deal with, if not the O's. The mystery team? Wait! Heyman is just reporting that the tooth fairy is willing to go 8/170 M.:rolleyestf:

I would offer Davis 2 deals. 4 years/$100 million w/ 2nd year opt out & 5 years/$125 mill w/ 3rd year opt out.

My reason is that Davis's next 2 or 3 years will be the best of the rest of his career. If years 4 & 5 are decline years, the O's can live w/ that, but not 4 decline years.

The second one is what I would offer him.

Archived