Who's our 5th starter if we don't add anyone else

TeamSchoop6

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

In the 2nd inning, the Yankees had runners on 2nd and 3rd base with 2 outs. A hard single to rightfield was fielded by Alvarez. He made a very bad throw, way up the line. An average throw to the plate would have easily gotten the runner.

Alvarez atoned for it the next inning when Brian McCann hit a long single to rightfield, and was thrown out easily on a good throw.

12 OUTS: 5 Flyouts, 3 Groundouts, 1 Strikeout, 1 Popout, 1 Foulout, 1 Thrown Out Trying to Stretch a Single into a Double

MIGUEL ANGEL GONZALEZ O(vs. YANKEES, 3/18) O[spring Training]

IP:. 4

H:;; 4 ll(1 Double, 3 Singles)

R:l) 2

BB: 1

SO: 1

Pitches: 58 (35 Strikes, 23 Balls)

PITCHES BY INNING

91 (51 Strikes, 4 Balls)

24 (15 strikes, 9 Balls)

12 (71 Strikes, 5 Balls)

13 (81 Strikes, 5 Balls)

It looks like Gonzalez got a little lucky. Out of 58 pitches, 23 were balls? That's not good at all despite the end result. I really hope he isn't in the rotation while he's pitching like this.

35 strikes and 23 balls in 4 innings? Doesn't sound that bad to me.

35 strikes and 23 balls in 4 innings? Doesn't sound that bad to me.

Well, I agree that 58 pitches in four innings isn't bad, but his control is obviously still not there. Four balls in nine pitches in the first, five balls in 12 pitches in the third and five balls in 13 pitches in the fourth. The Yankees are normally a patient team during the regular season as are the Jays. If he can't do better at throwing strikes than this, he'll be lucky to get through three innings. I still don't consider this a positive outing because of what that implies about his control. This assumes that he's not just working on a pitch or two and is trying to compete for a spot. Throwing balls like 40% of the time isn't going to get it done.

It looks like Gonzalez got a little lucky. Out of 58 pitches, 23 were balls? That's not good at all despite the end result. I really hope he isn't in the rotation while he's pitching like this.

Buck will probably give him the benefit of the doubt.

I would love to see Wilson get the nod to start the season with Gonzo in the pen, heck he may be a strong bp asset for us.

I trust the decision regardless and it will be fluid throughout the season regardless who gets the call initially.

I just think it might send a nice message that nobody is untouchable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I agree that 58 pitches in four innings isn't bad, but his control is obviously still not there. Four balls in nine pitches in the first, five balls in 12 pitches in the third and five balls in 13 pitches in the fourth. The Yankees are normally a patient team during the regular season as are the Jays. If he can't do better at throwing strikes than this, he'll be lucky to get through three innings. I still don't consider this a positive outing because of what that implies about his control. This assumes that he's not just working on a pitch or two and is trying to compete for a spot. Throwing balls like 40% of the time isn't going to get it done.
Clayton Kershaw has a career 63 str % so he throws balls 37 % of the time I guess he barely passes muster with you?

Completely disagree with you on this.

Completely disagree with you on this.

I'm pretty sure I saw someone comment that Gonzalez's fastball was topping out in the 86-88 range somewhere in one of these threads. If not, someone correct me. If that's true that he has lost that much velocity and he's missing the plate 40% of the time, that is trouble. He won't survive if hitters have that long to see his pitches and he's getting behind in counts. His splitter also hasn't been good, so that would mean his stuff is nowhere near good enough to get away with throwing that many balls.

Archived