Who's our 5th starter if we don't add anyone else

TeamSchoop6

He did get lucky in the 1st inning.

Just like yesterday, Jimenez had bad luck AND bad defense playing behind him in the 1st inning.

With 2 runners on base and nobody out, Xander Bogaerts hit a hard line drive which Pedro Alvarez caught, and easily doubled off the runner at 1st base.

A foot or two either way, and it could have been an RBI-double with runners at 2nd and 3rd base with nobody out. Instead, there were two outs and only 1 runner on base.

You don't mention that Jackie Bradley blooped one to the left-center bermuda triangle to lead-off that inning though. Luck goes both ways.

He was very solid with good movement on the fastball and pretty good location. Slider was good when located but he hung a few that the Sox just missed. Hanley Ramirez single off the fake monster and an Ortiz fly ball to the warning track ring bells.

I'd take him over Gonzalez in a heart-beat.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I think Mike Wright did today is keep himself in the competition for the 4th spot in the rotation. He put pressure on Gonzalez to perform well to keep his spot in the rotation. The 4th spot has come down to Wright, Gonzalez or what ever starter Dan might acquire.

We will not know about the 5th spot until we know whether Gausman can pitch on April 10th.

He did get lucky in the 1st inning.

Just like yesterday, Jimenez had bad luck AND bad defense playing behind him in the 1st inning.

With 2 runners on base and nobody out, Xander Bogaerts hit a hard line drive which Pedro Alvarez caught, and easily doubled off the runner at 1st base.

A foot or two either way, and it could have been an RBI-double with runners at 2nd and 3rd base with nobody out. Instead, there were two outs and only 1 runner on base.

You don't mention that Jackie Bradley blooped one to the left-center bermuda triangle to lead-off that inning though. Luck goes both ways.

He was very solid with good movement on the fastball and pretty good location. Slider was good when located but he hung a few that the Sox just missed. Hanley Ramirez single off the fake monster and an Ortiz fly ball to the warning track ring bells.

I'd take him over Gonzalez in a heart-beat.

I know that luck goes both ways' date=' but it goes more one way on some days than others.

On this particular day, Wright's luck was considerably better than was Jimenez' luck in the same inning on the previous day ...... even taking into consideration Jackie Bradley, Jr.'s bloop single.

If you look at my ensuing post, you'll see that I was pretty fair-minded (and complimentary) of Wright's performance overall.

Wright did indeed appear to be pretty stable overall today for 5 innings against the Red Sox' "A" lineup.

A little bit of command trouble (including 2 walks), but overall he was steady, working himself out of a couple of jams in 2 of the 5 innings that he pitched.

o

15 OUTS: 6 Groundouts (Including 2 Double Plays), 4 Strikeouts, 3 Flyouts

MIGUEL ANGEL GONZALEZ O(vs. BRAVES, 3/29) O[spring Training]

IP:. 5

H:;; 7 ll(1 Double, 6 Singles)

R:l) 1

BB: 0 *

SO: 4

Pitches: 75 (52 Strikes, 23 Balls)

* Gonzalez had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

91 (81 Strikes, 1 Balls)

16 (91 Strikes, 7 Balls)

27 (18 Strikes, 9 Balls)

11 (91 Strikes, 2 Balls)

12 (81 Strikes, 4 Balls)

15 OUTS: 6 Groundouts (Including 2 Double Plays), 4 Strikeouts, 3 Flyouts

MIGUEL ANGEL GONZALEZ O(vs. BRAVES, 3/29) O[spring Training]

IP:. 5

H:;; 7 ll(1 Double, 6 Singles)

R:l) 1

BB: 0 *

SO: 4

Pitches: 75 (52 Strikes, 23 Balls)

* Gonzalez had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

91 (81 Strikes, 1 Balls)

16 (91 Strikes, 7 Balls)

27 (18 Strikes, 9 Balls)

11 (91 Strikes, 2 Balls)

12 (81 Strikes, 4 Balls)

Miguel Gonzalez "Focused and Confident" Tonight

(By Roch Kubatko)

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/03/miguel-gonzalez-focused-and-confident-tonight.html

With the news that Gausman likely won't be back until mid to late April, is there anyone other than Mike Wright that could start the season as our fifth starter? Assuming no trade for another starter.

it doesn't seem to me that Wilson has been stretched out enough, only going two innings in his last appearance. I like Wilson over Wright personally.

A valiant effort in his final outing as an Oriole ...... but Gonzalez will not be the team's 5th starter, as he was released today.

He should look back in a few years and feel grateful and proud of what he accomplished. Pulled out of the Mexican league to have a good career.

Wish him well.

With the news that Gausman likely won't be back until mid to late April, is there anyone other than Mike Wright that could start the season as our fifth starter? Assuming no trade for another starter.

it doesn't seem to me that Wilson has been stretched out enough, only going two innings in his last appearance. I like Wilson over Wright personally.

It's Wright AND Wilson. Worley on the roster?

On Deck, and in the hole

Bundy

Matusz

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Buck confirmed Gallardo no 2 starter and Jimenez no 3. Aiming for April 19 start for Gausman <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">March 30, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He should look back in a few years and feel grateful and proud of what he accomplished. Pulled out of the Mexican league to have a good career.

Wish him well.

I'm sure they will have a job for him in the organization.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Showalter wants to tell the fourth starter personally before he divulges it. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Rich Dubroff (@RichDubroffCSN) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Showalter wants to tell the fourth starter personally before he divulges it. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Rich Dubroff (@RichDubroffCSN) <a href="

Psssst...Its Mike Wright.

Archived