Jonathan Schoop could be headed for Stardom

Redskins Rick

Well, the metrics also liked him his rookie season. Until we have more data for them to stabilize, we should go with what our eyes tell us, IMO. He may be limited in his range relative to other 2B, largely based on his size, however, I think he has a very quick transfer and a tremendous arm which helps him very much. I personally believe he is a + defender at the position, however, that analysis is not comprehensive in the slightest. The opinion is mostly based on watching Oriole opponents. Rarely am I impressed with an opposing 2B such that I think he is clearly a step above Schoop defensively (if better at all). Yes, I have orange colored glasses, but between the data, which is SSS and mixed in his opinion* of him, being of limited definitive usefulness and the general qualitative opinion of him being a good defender, at least around here, I am willing to go with my personal opinion of the matter. What is your personal opinion of his defense.

* - In 2014, Schoop played to a positive UZR in ~1,010 innings. He has played to a negative UZR in a nearly identical number of total innings between 2015 (721) and thus far in 2016 (292)

I think his range is well below average and that alone makes him a below average defender overall. The arm is great and he turns the DP well but range is most important in the middle infield. I think his defensive skills would be best suited at 3B long term but the bat doesn't plays as well there. He's kind of a tweeter to me, could probably play either position but the ceiling isn't really that high.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's how my eye's see it:

He's one of, if not the strongest 2b in the majors.

He's got power galore.

He's a key component in team chemistry, seems to enjoy the game and seems to have a lot of fun with his teammates.

He's got a huge arm and is able to stand up to baserunners going into 2nd on the double play.

He's young and learning and his upside is huge.

He never dogs it, smiles often and is an easy player for fans to like.

He'll never have great range due to his size and strength but if he works hard on it, I think he'll be better than average.

He is too aggressive at the plate, doesn't walk enough and swings at bad pitches. Rather then assume he'll always be this way, I'm hopeful he can work on it and become much better. Anyone with kids know that what they are 18-23 isn't necessarily what they will become. I don't care what the stats have been so far as I understand that you can't lock a 24 yr old into a position because of what he has done before.

Bottom line is that I'm excited to see him progress. I think his floor is an average 2b and his ceiling is top 5. Not bad for a cost controlled player.

It's all about the outside corner with Schoop and if he's willing to go to RF. Seems like junkballers give him problems. He's gotten big hits off of elite pitchers. The talent is there. Gotta remember we called Schoop up probably a year too early out of need. He just needs to mature. The guy is still just 24.

He's younger than:

Tyler Wilson

Mike Wright

Mike Givens

TJ Macfarland

Christian Walker

The thread title is "Schoop could be heading for stardom". For someone that walks as little as Schoop that is going to have to mean hitting close to .300 for the year, not just for an 11 game stretch.

Now I know someone is going to say he hit .350 but that was his revised stats after my initial post and after he went 3-4. The larger point was that while he had a hitting streak he wasn't really that hot.

When Schoop hits .350 for an extended time, he'll walk. But with this lineup, a pitcher will have to pick his poison.

o

(vs. TIGERS, 5/14)

2 home runs, including 1 grand slam.

JONATHAN RUFINO JEZUS SCHOOP

• 5 weeks later...
o

(vs. RED SOX, 6/14)

Fifth oriole with double digit HR by my count.

Trumbo

Davis

Machado

Jones

Schoop

Fifth oriole with double digit HR by my count.

Trumbo

Davis

Machado

Jones

Schoop

Those five are pretty safe bets to get to 20. Alvarez could get to double digits soon. I think he'll hit over 20 if he gets 400 at bats. Wieters could get close too. Could end up with six or seven guys with 20 plus.

Archived