Rowell Finally Put On DL

JohnD

That's not the point. No one is questioning Rowell's toughness. The injury was reported by the team as a minor injury and that he would be out a few days. Our guy was even told that Rowell would be playing tonight, IIRC.

Yep....Even Roch was told it was no big deal.

I'm not sure what's going on here either. The Orioles were telling me they thought he was fairly close (2 or three days) two days ago so it's a little surprising he was put on the DL if that were the case. Of course, it's a seven day DL and he was put on retroactive to last Sunday, but this would seem to mean they don't see him being ready to play until at least Sunday.

This is certainly not the start that any of wanted to see for Rowell.

Really, right now, besides Wieters, there's no really good news for any of our top hitting prospects so far this year.

It's very early, but the Rowell injury and poor starts by Reimold, Henson, and even Snyder (hitting an empty .283 with a poor K/BB ratio) was not what everyone was looking for.

Really, right now, besides Wieters, there's no really good news for any of our top hitting prospects so far this year.

Yep, and this is precisely why I think we'll make a hard push for Teixeira in the offseason. I'm fine with drafting a bunch of kids, but we did at least another position player or two (or three) pronto.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=905

Rowell Back Soon

In the first game of the season, Orioles third baseman Billy Rowell was running out a ground ball when he tweaked his ankle. Rowell, 19, was immediately removed from the game and is currently on the disabled list. However, he has been going through full workouts and conditioning his ankle to get stronger. He can come off the the DL on Sunday. Right now the Orioles are being precautionary, making sure he’s completely healthy before returning.

Rowell spent some time in extended spring training last year while nursing a strained oblique, then when on to hit .273/.335/.426 in 352 at-bats with 109 strikeouts upon his return. In 2006, the Orioles made Rowell first high school player drafted that year when they selected him with the ninth overall pick. He hit .329/.422/.507 in 152 at-bats with Rookie-level Bluefield that year, then went .326/.388/.488 in 43 at-bats upon a promotion to short-season Aberdeen.

Just another "minor injury". Next time the O's organization says it's a minor injury and should just be a few days, I'm gonna throw up.

Speaking from expierience, a sprained ankle can last for weeks. Rowell has had a lot of tough breaks. It is still April. He can still get 450 AB's if he is back by May.

Speaking from expierience, a sprained ankle can last for weeks. Rowell has had a lot of tough breaks. It is still April. He can still get 450 AB's if he is back by May.

You are not lying. I had a "mild" sprain in high school and it took me almost a month before it was 100%. Being cautious is the way to go.

Archived