Clubhouse Chemistry

Going Underground

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm really proud of these guys, just like I've been proud of every single team Buck has managed. This team could have folded its tent after that 1-12 stretch in August, but Buck's team's don't quit.

Such an excellent point. I really believe we have the best manager in the game. Everybody makes tactical errors at times. And Buck does, too. But by and large - in terms of both on-field and off-field factors - he's the best. Or at least I can't think of another guy I'd rather have running this team.

Ill beat this very dead horse one more time.The most egregious non signing for the Orioles in maybe a decade or more was the Cruz debacle.

No,we wouldn't have gone to the WS, but we would've made the playoffs I think.

I also feel the team over committed to JJ Hardy, though at the time I was definitely for his re-up.

We had enormously bad luck with Bundy, Harvey, and Wieters was never really good this year.

Add to the fact that Norris was awful, and so was Tillman mostly. Gonzales was hurt but not great when he was healthy and only three everyday players had good seasons; Manny, Davis and Schoop.The rest of the team was below mediocre, but I think the Cruz re-sign would've made up for a lot of deficiencies.

I heartily agree with you about Cruz. With Cruz in our lineup, we could have gone a lot farther. Someone mentioned later that signing Cruz would have meant non-tendering Chris Davis. I don't believe that for a second; this is the old "we're just a poor mid-market team and we can't afford top FAs" nonsense. The team has the money, it's just that many in the FO don't want to spend the money and/or don't think that they have to in order to make a competitive team.

Again, a disclaimer: I'm not saying go spend willy-nilly. Spend smartly but do spend if makes the team better.

I'm really proud of these guys, just like I've been proud of every single team Buck has managed. This team could have folded its tent after that 1-12 stretch in August, but Buck's team's don't quit.
I am a huge Buck fan. I don't agree with all of his decisions, particularly some of his bullpen decisions. For instance, in Monday's Toronto game, he put O'Day in. It was quite obvious that the normally reliable O'Day just didn't have it Monday night, and Buck should have warmed someone up immediately before the tying run was scored and gotten O'Day out of there. But for the most part, I like Buck's handling of the team.

Lets face it. This team is dead in the water, and just going through the motions. They have no pulse and this will likely be a "better" team than next year when we will likely lose out best power hitter, our only consistent starter, and our best set up man.I hope they have some good ideas in the off season because as it looks now, next season will be a lot worse.

I completely disagree with this.

Going through an ice-cold streak does not necessarily mean that a team that has quit.

Last night, Matt Wieters literally dove as far as he could to barely get the Blue Jays' runner at the plate to prevent an additional runner from scoring so that the Orioles would still have a chance to win. That play was hardly the act of someone who was just going through the motions and looking toward the off-season. His ensuing throw/bounce pass to 2nd base to try to get the other runner right after that may have looked comical, but Matt wanted that 3rd out badly. If he were just going through the motions, he would not have even attempted the throw to 2nd base.

Chris Tillman was obviously NOT going through the motions in pitching 7.33 innings of 2-run ball (one of which scored after he left the game) could hardly be described as the act of a pitcher that wanted to end a frustrating season as quickly as possible.

Buck Showalter bringing in his closer in the 8th inning with a 2-run lead was hardly the act of a manager who was anxious to get the season over with ...... he obliviously wanted the game badly.

The offense continues to be ice-cold, but that is not necessarily through a lack of effort.

I understand that you are an angry, frustrated Oriole fan, but this is not the game thread. I believe that you are venting your anger and frustration in a misguided manner.

I heartily agree with you about Cruz. With Cruz in our lineup, we could have gone a lot farther. Someone mentioned later that signing Cruz would have meant non-tendering Chris Davis. I don't believe that for a second; this is the old "we're just a poor mid-market team and we can't afford top FAs" nonsense. The team has the money, it's just that many in the FO don't want to spend the money and/or don't think that they have to in order to make a competitive team.

Again, a disclaimer: I'm not saying go spend willy-nilly. Spend smartly but do spend if makes the team better.

It doesn't matter how much money the team has, it's how much it is allowed to spend. Why is that so hard to understand. If DD didn't have to worry about money you honestly think he wouldn't have signed Cruz?

I am a huge Buck fan. I don't agree with all of his decisions, particularly some of his bullpen decisions. For instance, in Monday's Toronto game, he put O'Day in. It was quite obvious that the normally reliable O'Day just didn't have it Monday night, and Buck should have warmed someone up immediately before the tying run was scored and gotten O'Day out of there. But for the most part, I like Buck's handling of the team.

One thing is for sure, the O's have played good professional baseball even when the results haven't been there. No temper tantrums, hanging heads, throwing at opposing players, or dugout fights. I know we sometimes give Buck a hard time about favoring "Buck guys", but I do think he has done an excellent job of bringing in positive guys who play hard and get the team concept while keeping egos to a minimum. AJ and the guys' affection for Buck is obvious. At the end of the day, that's about all he has control over and I have no problem with the job he has done.

Ill beat this very dead horse one more time.The most egregious non signing for the Orioles in maybe a decade or more was the Cruz debacle.

No,we wouldn't have gone to the WS, but we would've made the playoffs I think.

I also feel the team over committed to JJ Hardy, though at the time I was definitely for his re-up.

We had enormously bad luck with Bundy, Harvey, and Wieters was never really good this year.

Add to the fact that Norris was awful, and so was Tillman mostly. Gonzales was hurt but not great when he was healthy and only three everyday players had good seasons; Manny, Davis and Schoop.The rest of the team was below mediocre, but I think the Cruz re-sign would've made up for a lot of deficiencies.

Nelson Cruz is a 5.3 WAR this season. Add 8 Wins for good measure. Do nothing else. What happens Roy?

It doesn't matter how much money the team has, it's how much it is allowed to spend. Why is that so hard to understand. If DD didn't have to worry about money you honestly think he wouldn't have signed Cruz?
How much are they allowed to spend? And how do you know this? Or are you speculating?

Nelson Cruz is a 5.3 WAR this season. Add 8 Wins for good measure. Do nothing else. What happens Roy?

If this were the case at the July deadline we probably would have done more. Instead we took the low risk approach. Gave up a back end rotation type prospect for a talent like Parra. DD has shown he's willing to spend for top talent in the past. Plus he would have addressed the rotation depth. Maybe instead of Parra, we would have spent extra for Cespedes. DD played it safe at the deadline. If we were in it more he would have gotten Cespedes and a SP. He would have gutted the system even more but we'd be looking at a 1 game playoff in the WC.

The thing is, whether it was re signing Cruz or then fixing the situation at the trade deadline, DD failed at both.

Archived