Just go trade for Jay Bruce or Markakis

oriolesacox

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is every team ever apparently. Every body we try to trade with wants Schoop or Guassman. If they Reds could land the equivalent of Schoop or Guassman, that is a great get for them. It just won't be us.

Well when the farm system consists of a couple of injured pitchers and tumbleweed...

This is every team ever apparently. Every body we try to trade with wants Schoop or Guassman. If they Reds could land the equivalent of Schoop or Guassman, that is a great get for them. It just won't be us.

Every team should want Schoop or Gausman. That's as it should be. Then they should offer us back something that we consider to be worth Schoop or Gaussman, and Bruce isn't that.

• 3 weeks later...

After seeing Frazier traded for relative peanuts how much can the asking price really be for Bruce at this point?

The good:

still under 30

bats from the left side

plays RF

averaged 26 HR a year in his career (also his total from 2015)

can take a walk

The bad

2 years 25.5M contract (assuming his option is picked up as part of trade)

low batting average (really struggled last two years)

will strike out about a quarter of ABs

Not the perfect player by any means but would him coming to OPACY and hitting 40 HRs surprise you anymore than when Cruz did?

He'd save $10M a year compared to Davis hopefully allowing for the pitcher we need and that Manny extension we all want to see.

I would be surprised if he hits 40 at Camden Yards -- Great American Ball Park is even more home run friendly.

Bruce is basically Pedro Alvarez with a decent RF glove. But he's been worse offensively than Alvarez the past two years. I would rather look in a different direction.

DD already talked to them, didn't like their price, no one is budging.

I suppose it's possible that the Reds could get desperate and the price goes down, but I think they'll just hold on to him and try to trade him mid season if nothing comes up.

After seeing Frazier traded for relative peanuts how much can the asking price really be for Bruce at this point?

The good:

still under 30

bats from the left side

plays RF

averaged 26 HR a year in his career (also his total from 2015)

can take a walk

The bad

2 years 25.5M contract (assuming his option is picked up as part of trade)

low batting average (really struggled last two years)

will strike out about a quarter of ABs

Not the perfect player by any means but would him coming to OPACY and hitting 40 HRs surprise you anymore than when Cruz did?

He'd save $10M a year compared to Davis hopefully allowing for the pitcher we need and that Manny extension we all want to see.

I would give them Mike Wright or Christian Walker. They can have their pick. He's got similar trade value to Trumbo IMO.

I would give them Mike Wright or Christian Walker. They can have their pick. He's got similar trade value to Trumbo IMO.

2014-2015 Trumbo - .251/.303/.435, 103 OPS+, 26 HR/162 in Arizona and Seattle

2014-2015 Bruce - .222/.288/.406, 90 OPS+, 25 HR/162 in Cincy

Hitting, worse. Contract, worse. He should cost less than Trumbo in trade unless the Reds eat part of his contract.

I would be surprised if he hits 40 at Camden Yards -- Great American Ball Park is even more home run friendly.

Bruce is basically Pedro Alvarez with a decent RF glove. But he's been worse offensively than Alvarez the past two years. I would rather look in a different direction.

Because Arlington is known for being a pitchers park?

Cruz hit over 30 HR exactly one season before he signed with the O's Bruce already has 3. In 8 seasons with TEX Cruz had 157 HRs, Bruce's 8 with CIN 208.

And I realized with 8 years of service he has no 5/10 rights to block a trade meaning it would be one year @ 13.5M commitment if he continues to struggle.

Archived