Rickard?

WarehouseChatter

Well, there are two knocks on Rickard: 1. He's unproven; and, 2. He doesn't hit home runs. Seeing as how we need him to pinch run and be a defensive replacement, plus the fact that we don't even need home runs out of him... well, I'm glad we have him. Can't wait to see what he can do. He's like a David Lough (maybe better?) who doesn't try to get all muscley.

He doesn't hit HR's should be a good thing, as we need OBP guys. If he gets really hot, he could be the guy we're looking for at the top of the lineup.

I agree. The lack of home runs means very little.

Rickard being unproven at the Major League level is the biggest concern ...... although, being that he has already been lights out at the highest levels of the minors in terms of OBP, now is as good a time as any to see if he can convert that to the Major League level. Last year he had a .427 OBP at AAA, AA, and Advanced-A combined. Even if he were 70 points lower than that at the Major League level (.357), that would still be more than adequate for what the Orioles need from the remaining outfield position that is yet to be filled.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rickard being unproven at the Major League level is the biggest concern ...... although, being that he has already been lights out at the highest levels of the minors in terms of OBP, now is as good a time as any to see if he can convert that to the Major League level. Last year he had a .427 OBP at AAA, AA, and Advanced-A combined. Even if he were 70 points lower at the Major League level (.357), that would still be more than adequate for what the Orioles need from the remaining outfield position that is yet to be filled.

I guess if he did a full year of +.400 OBP at AAA then people might be more willing to believe he can be full time? I don't know how to answer to people's feeling, but I agree with what you said here.

These are the Nolan Reimold Transactions as listed by MLB

Team Date Transaction

September 5, 2015 Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Nolan Reimold from Norfolk Tides.

August 27, 2015 Baltimore Orioles sent LF Nolan Reimold outright to Norfolk Tides.

August 24, 2015 Baltimore Orioles designated Nolan Reimold for assignment.

July 9, 2015 Baltimore Orioles activated LF Nolan Reimold from the paternity list.

July 6, 2015 Baltimore Orioles placed RF Nolan Reimold on the paternity list.

June 9, 2015 Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of RF Nolan Reimold from Norfolk Tides.

February 10, 2015 Baltimore Orioles signed free agent RF Nolan Reimold to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

February 10, 2015 RF Nolan Reimold assigned to Norfolk Tides.

October 10, 2014 RF Nolan Reimold elected free agency.

August 29, 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks activated RF Nolan Reimold.

August 28, 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks claimed RF Nolan Reimold off waivers from Toronto Blue Jays.

August 26, 2014 Toronto Blue Jays designated RF Nolan Reimold for assignment.

July 27, 2014 Toronto Blue Jays activated RF Nolan Reimold from the 15-day disabled list.

July 12, 2014 Toronto Blue Jays placed RF Nolan Reimold on the 15-day disabled list. Left calf strain (Toronto's Turf caused the injury)

July 7, 2014 Toronto Blue Jays activated LF Nolan Reimold.

July 6, 2014 Toronto Blue Jays claimed LF Nolan Reimold off waivers from Baltimore Orioles.

July 1, 2014 Baltimore Orioles designated LF Nolan Reimold for assignment. (Out of Options, DFA to make room on Twenty Five, Finally Healthy)

June 10, 2014 Baltimore Orioles sent OF Nolan Reimold on a rehab assignment to Bowie Baysox.

April 7, 2014 Baltimore Orioles transferred LF Nolan Reimold from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list. Recovering from July 2013 back surgery

March 30, 2014 Baltimore Orioles placed LF Nolan Reimold on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to March 26, 2014. Recovering from July 2013 back surgery

November 1, 2013 Baltimore Orioles activated LF Nolan Reimold from the 60-day disabled list.

July 23, 2013 Baltimore Orioles transferred LF Nolan Reimold from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list. July 2013 back surgery.

July 19, 2013 Baltimore Orioles placed LF Nolan Reimold on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to July 14, 2013. Nerve inflammation in his spine.

July 2, 2013 Baltimore Orioles activated LF Nolan Reimold from the 15-day disabled list.

June 18, 2013 Baltimore Orioles sent LF Nolan Reimold on a rehab assignment to Bowie Baysox.

May 18, 2013 Baltimore Orioles placed LF Nolan Reimold on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to May 12, 2013. Right hamstring strain.

November 2, 2012 Baltimore Orioles activated LF Nolan Reimold from the 60-day disabled list.

June 12, 2012 Baltimore Orioles transferred LF Nolan Reimold from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list.

May 4, 2012 Nolan Reimold roster status changed by Baltimore Orioles.

May 1, 2012 Baltimore Orioles placed LF Nolan Reimold on the 15-day disabled list. (Original Neck Injury)

May 20, 2011 Baltimore Orioles recalled Nolan Reimold from Norfolk Tides.

May 20, 2011 Baltimore Orioles activated LF Nolan Reimold.

March 28, 2011 Baltimore Orioles optioned Nolan Reimold to Norfolk Tides.

September 1, 2010 Baltimore Orioles recalled Nolan Reimold from Norfolk Tides.

May 28, 2010 Nolan Reimold roster status changed by Norfolk Tides.

May 25, 2010 Norfolk Tides placed LF Nolan Reimold on the temporarily inactive list. (Baby Drama)

May 12, 2010 Baltimore Orioles optioned LF Nolan Reimold to Norfolk Tides.

October 13, 2009 Nolan Reimold roster status changed by Baltimore Orioles.

September 18, 2009 Baltimore Orioles placed LF Nolan Reimold on the 15-day disabled list. Left Achilles tendinitis.

May 14, 2009 Baltimore Orioles recalled LF Nolan Reimold from Norfolk Tides.

Rickard being unproven at the Major League level is the biggest concern ...... although, being that he has already been lights out at the highest levels of the minors in terms of OBP, now is as good a time as any to see if he can convert that to the Major League level. Last year he had a .427 OBP at AAA, AA, and Advanced-A combined. Even if he were 70 points lower than that at the Major League level (.357), that would still be more than adequate for what the Orioles need from the remaining outfield position that is yet to be filled.

If his defense is up to par with Adam Jones and his OBP translates over well, I think he starts opening day. He's got potential.

Sent from Neverneverland using James Hetfield's voice

He doesn't hit HR's should be a good thing, as we need OBP guys. If he gets really hot, he could be the guy we're looking for at the top of the lineup.

Not hitting homers is never a good thing. All else being equal you'd always take more homers, and all else not being equal guys with power typically have higher OBPs than those without.

Of course I'd be fine with a guy with no homers and a .400 OBP. But those don't really exist.

I guess if he did a full year of +.400 OBP at AAA then people might be more willing to believe he can be full time? I don't know how to answer to people's feeling, but I agree with what you said here.

Yes, that's a concern. He has 104 PAs at AAA. And his last ~400 PAs are well above his prior level. I'm confident he won't hit .360 in the majors, as he did during his brief AAA stint.

Not hitting homers is never a good thing. All else being equal you'd always take more homers, and all else not being equal guys with power typically have higher OBPs than those without.

Of course I'd be fine with a guy with no homers and a .400 OBP. But those don't really exist.

I'd take a guy who rarely homers but has a high OBP like Rickard. I think if the O's had someone like him or Fowler that we'd see more RBI's coming in early, and who doesn't like that? I think we need a guy who just puts the ball down the lines and can get on base, but can steal bases. If you think about it, Joey Rickard is essentially the poor man's unproven version of Dexter Fowler.

If his defense is up to par with Adam Jones and his OBP translates over well, I think he starts opening day. He's got potential.

I agree with you but the O's will be taking a lot of risk at this point. If both Kim and Rickard struggle and its not a given that either wont we are screwed. The Orioles have committed to Kim in LF and using Rickard as the 4th OF to get his feet wet is a very good idea IMO. If the Orioles go get Alvarez and Trumbo can be used some in RF we can live if one of these guys struggles.

He doesn't hit HR's should be a good thing, as we need OBP guys. If he gets really hot, he could be the guy we're looking for at the top of the lineup

Why do we need less home runs? How does that make us better from a corner outfield slot. It's not like the Orioles have a shortstop hitting 30 bombs.

I'd take a guy who rarely homers but has a high OBP like Rickard. I think if the O's had someone like him or Fowler that we'd see more RBI's coming in early, and who doesn't like that? I think we need a guy who just puts the ball down the lines and can get on base, but can steal bases. If you think about it, Joey Rickard is essentially the poor man's unproven version of Dexter Fowler.

Rickard has no OBP as a major leaguer. Or any reason to believe that he will get on base at a higher clip than Pedro Alvarez or Jay Bruce at this point.

I agree with you but the O's will be taking a lot of risk at this point. If both Kim and Rickard struggle and its not a given that either wont we are screwed. The Orioles have committed to Kim in LF and using Rickard as the 4th OF to get his feet wet is a very good idea IMO. If the Orioles go get Alvarez and Trumbo can be used some in RF we can live if one of these guys struggles.

I think that's what happens once we see how everything works out in ST.

Rickard has no OBP as a major leaguer. Or any reason to believe that he will get onbase at a higher clip than Pedro Alvarez or Jay Bruce at this point.

You're right, but I'm a strong believer in calculated risk, like De Aza last year or getting Nelson Cruz the year prior. At this point, we'll see how Rickard and Kim do, then go from there to see where the dice fall.

Archived