What are some of the best Orioles games you've been to?

Spy Fox

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v4757131/torbal-reimold-crushes-a-walkoff-threerun-homer

decided to go to a day game on my way back to Rochester from visiting my Uncle, Roy Halladay gave up 3 over 8 innings then we came back to tie it, and then this. I later got him to sign the ticket stub when he was in Rochester on rehab. Also feel bad for the guy next to me who left in the 8th inning and missed all the craziness!

June 19, 1980 when John Lowenstein was hit in the head by a thrown ball and carted off the field on a stretcher. Just before the Orioles dugout, he suddenly sat up on the stretcher and raised both fists into the air. The crowd went wild.

bs-sp-daffy-dozen-john-lowenstein-0728-20150727

I remember watching that game .... Lolo was a fun player to watch

August 1966 (don't remember the exact date) - O's vs. Senators @ DC Stadium (it was later changed to RFK) Friday twi-night doubleheader (remember those?) First game Frank Robinson hit a 2-run dinger. O's win 2-1. Didn't fare as well in the nightcap losing 4-1. But, I got Fred Valentine's autograph (who homered for the 'Nats in the second game)

June 1979 - O's vs. BJays, another twi-night DH on a Friday night, O's win both games. DeCinces gets a home run, so does LoLo

July 9, 1992 - O's vs. Twins. Arthur Rhodes' first start after being recalled. Brought my Dad & step-mom from Georgia. She was a good friend of Arthur's mother-in-law. O's win 4-2, Rhodes' first major-league win. I came home & taped the replay, gave it to my dad, who forwarded a copy to Arthur. Arthur sent me a nice thank-you note & an autographed baseball card in a case. Nice gesture.

(fast fowarding to modern times....)

2014 Game 2, ALDS - believe it, or not, was there also. Fantastic game!

A few that I can think of:

I was at the game where Cal Ripken tied Lou Gehrig's streak. It was awesome when they played the theme music and the new number came rolling down. The Orioles won of course.

The game in 2014 when the Orioles clinched the division. Ubaldo came out for his first start since hie bullpen demotion; it was a spot start because of a rainout earlier. Anyway, Ubaldo started giving up hits and walks and the boos rained down on him. But then something good happened after that as he pulled himself together. The hits became outs, the balls became strikes, he kept striking people out. The boos turned into wild cheering. In the meantime, Davis & Co. supplied quite a few runs. It was this game that turned me into an Ubaldo fan. Above all, the Orioles won and clinched the division. What a game! Afterward Adam Jones was pushing pies at fans who loved it, and the other players brought their children out. It was wonderful..:):smile11:

Then there was the ALDS game where Delmon Young hit the game winning hit. The stadium went absolutely bonkers that night! Orange Orioles towels were waving as Delmon circled the bases until the winning run crossed the plate. :2yay-thumb:

Two I can think of.

The very first Playoff game at OPACY. 96 vs. CLE. Me and three golf buddies got 4 seats OBSVU. :slytf: We were lower bowl, shallow RF depth but back under the upper deck. We couldn't see fly balls. See 'em hit up, disappear, see a split second of someone catching it. Middle innings we were close, like 3-3 or 4-4. Or a run different. I forget. like 7th inning we get something going. Couple men on then get a run in. Then we get the bases loaded, Bobby Bo coming to the plate. He hits a towering shot to right. Like I said we only see it off the bat. Stadium is roaring. Then we see it land on the Flag Court. :D Cruise to 9-4 win.

Second was last year's Hangout night. Insane CD walkoff. The night after we did the same thing, walkoff. I didn't know it til I got home and watched video, the pitch Chris hit, he was fooled pretty badly and it was a great pitch. Started in and a little high, tailing out and down. Somehow CD still got the barrel on it and pulled it a little into right. It was like some magical ability. Gandalfian.

You know what the BEST games were? Back in Little League every year our whole team would caravan down to an O's game. Parking in people's driveways and yards "for five damn dollars!" My dad and my uncle Jerry yelling at people on the freeway. The long cement ramps. The green grass when you passed thru your gate. Cal Sr. throwing BP. Man those were the best games I remember.

June 19, 1980 when John Lowenstein was hit in the head by a thrown ball and carted off the field on a stretcher. Just before the Orioles dugout, he suddenly sat up on the stretcher and raised both fists into the air. The crowd went wild. Here is the Sun's write-up:

"One of the more memorable moments in Orioles history occurred at home on June 19, 1980, against Oakland. But it is not something that will be found in the box score. In the bottom of the seventh inning, Steiner pinch-hit for second baseman Lenny Sakata and singled to right field off Rick Langford. When he attempted to stretch a single into a double, Athletics first baseman Jeff Newman?s errant throw struck Lowenstein in the back of the head. John lay motionless at second base as trainers worked on him. He was placed on a stretcher, and as he was being carried to the dugout. Lowenstein sat up and pumped both fists in the air. The 15,000 spectators, who had been silently looking on, burst into cheers. ?You have to acknowledge the cheers of the fans and I sure as hell wasn?t going to come back out after the game,? Lowenstein explained."

Brother LO.

bs-sp-daffy-dozen-john-lowenstein-0728-20150727

I was at this game as a kid, sitting with my grandparents in those awful "restricted view" seats deep under the lower concourse at Memorial. My grandparents liked them in case it rained, ha ha. You couldn't see fly balls until they descended, but I could clearly see Lowenstein on that stretcher near the dugout. Great stuff, I miss Brother Lo.

Little late to the party but:

June 23, 1979: Doubleheader vs. Detroit. Decinces kicked off Orioles Magic the night before, and Eddie Murray confirmed it the next night with a 3-run walkoff that was almost identical. The O's came from behind in the late innings again in game two. There were a lot of walk-ups among the 45000 that night. People knew something was in the air and they left the stadium sky high. It was euphoric.

September 26, 1979: The last regular season home game of 1979. The O's ran up a 10-1 lead on the Tigers by the 4th inning on the way to a 13-2 win and the fans just cheered everything --hits, outs, it didn't matter. After the game, the fans would not leave until we curtain called the whole team out and did the Wild Bill cheer together.

October 3, 1979: John Lowenstein wins Game 1 of the ALCS with a pinch-hit 10th-inning homer. Oh, it got loud. The crowd roars Lo-Lo out for 2 curtain calls. The NBC cameraman stationed in front of us in the mezzanine turns around and says, "Sheesh, is it always like this here?" That year it was.

October 10, 1979: World Series Game 1. When Al Bumbry trotted out to the 3rd base line during the opening introductions, the crowd was the loudest I've ever heard at a sporting event. It sounded like you were standing in front of a jet engine.

October 2, 1982: The third game of the Milwaukee series after the doubleheader sweep. It was kind of astonishing to open the paper that day and see the Orioles just 1 game back. The O's rolled 11-3 to tie the Brewers with one game left and Memorial Stadium was raucous. We all felt we were witnessing a miracle in progress.

October 3, 2014: ALDS Game 2: The second loudest Orioles crowd I ever experienced. That full-body buzzing feeling you get after a game spent screaming your head off for a huge win was the same as the old days. It was great to feel that again. I couldn't sleep that night.

Little late to the party but:

June 23, 1979: Doubleheader vs. Detroit. Decinces kicked off Orioles Magic the night before, and Eddie Murray confirmed it the next night with a 3-run walkoff that was almost identical. The O's came from behind in the late innings again in game two. There were a lot of walk-ups among the 45000 that night. People knew something was in the air and they left the stadium sky high. It was euphoric.

September 26, 1979: The last regular season home game of 1979. The O's ran up a 10-1 lead by the 4th inning on the way to a 13-2 win and the fans just cheered everything --hits, outs, it didn't matter. After the game, the fans would not leave until we curtain called the whole team out and did the Wild Bill cheer together.

October 3, 1979: John Lowenstein wins Game 1 of the ALCS with a pinch-hit 10th-inning homer. Oh, it got loud. The crowd roars Lo-Lo out for 2 curtain calls. The NBC cameraman stationed in front of us in the mezzanine turns around and says, "Sheesh, is it always like this here?" That year it was.

October 10, 1979: World Series Game 1. When Al Bumbry trotted out to the 3rd base line during the opening introductions, the crowd was the loudest I've ever heard at a sporting event. It sounded like you were standing in front of a jet engine.

October 2, 1982: The third game of the Milwaukee series after the doubleheader sweep. It was kind of astonishing to open the paper that day and see the Orioles just 1 game back. The O's rolled 11-3 to tie the Brewers with one game left and Memorial Stadium was raucous. We all felt we were witnessing a miracle in progress.

October 3, 2014: ALDS Game 2: The second loudest Orioles crowd I ever experienced. That full-body buzzing feeling you get after a game spent screaming your head off for a huge win was the same as the old days. It was great to feel that again. I couldn't sleep that night.

Great list. Some of the best.

Second was last year's Hangout night. Insane CD walkoff. The night after we did the same thing, walkoff. I didn't know it til I got home and watched video, the pitch Chris hit, he was fooled pretty badly and it was a great pitch. Started in and a little high, tailing out and down. Somehow CD still got the barrel on it and pulled it a little into right. It was like some magical ability. Gandalfian.

That's the game I met you, JetsAndO's,TonyOH and TonySoprano (I'd met Weams opening week). That was the only O's walk-off I've attended that I can recall. We heard the Friday night walk-off on the radio at the hotel. I'm not counting one the Nats won over the O's in DC around '08 in the 13th inning.

The Delmon Young double game the ALDS was probably the most exciting game I've ever seen.

In terms of more obscure games, July 4th, 2003 was a fun one for me. I arrived late and quickly the Orioles fell behind by 5. Then somehow we managed to score 8 runs with 2 outs in the bottom of the 8th. I vividly remember watching from the flag court, straining too see over the old tall wall with two buddies.

Take a look at this win probability chart: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL200307040.shtml#wpa

That's the game I met you, JetsAndO's,TonyOH and TonySoprano (I'd met Weams opening week). That was the only O's walk-off I've attended that I can recall. We heard the Friday night walk-off on the radio at the hotel. I'm not counting one the Nats won over the O's in DC around '08 in the 13th inning.

Yeah, great to meet you and your family. Your daughter is a riot.

Hangouters saw another walkoff, from the corner near the flag court. Against TB? Two years ago. My memory. :P

Archived