Thank You, Matthew Richard Wieters

OFFNY

He won the game - got the big hit in the first and the great defensive play in the 9th.

Having said that... let's try to sign Wilson Ramos in the offseason. Matt's got an 82 OPS+, and he often looks worn out. Ramos is 2 years younger and has an OPS+ of 140, but I get the feeling he's not going to get paid like a catcher with a 140 OPS+.

But the way Buck manages, he gets Caleb some reps at least every third day, right? :scratchchinhmm: Oh wait....#nuggetology

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
o

(vs. GIANTS, 8/14)

5-for-5 today.

1 Triple, 1 Double, 3 Singles.

Matt Wieters and Einar Diaz the only players in the last 20 years with hits in the 7th, 8th, and 9th innings of a game in which their team rallied to win after being down 6 or more runs after the 6th inning.

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/status/765240797675618308

Diaz, now an Orioles coach, did it for the Indians against the Mariners in a classic 2001 Sunday Night Baseball game in which the Indians came back from a 12-0 deficit to win. ) :eektf:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CLE/CLE200108050.shtml

o

DO NOT:

1) ) Tug on Superman's cape.

2) ) Spit into the wind.

3) ) Pull the mask off the Ol' Lone Ranger.

4) ) Run on Matthew Richard Wieters.

Trea Turner tried to steal a base off of Matt Wieters in the 1st inning.

He got thrown out.

Trea Turner tried to steal a base off of Matt Wieters in the 3rd inning.

He got thrown out.

You can tug on Superman's cape, you can spit into the wind, you can pull the mask off the Ol' Lone Ranger, and you can run on Matt Wieters ........ but you do so at your own risk.

o

(vs. NATIONALS, August, 24th)

NUMBER 11

MATTHEW RICHARD WIETERS

MATTHEW RICHARD WIETERS

MATTHEW RICHARD WIETERS

MATTHEW RICHARD WIETERS

MATTHEW RICHARD WIETERS

MATTHEW RICHARD WIETERS

MATTHEW RICHARD WIETERS

o

(vs. BLUE JAYS, August, 30th)

NUMBER 12

MATTHEW RICHARD WIETERS

MATTHEW RICHARD WIETERS

MATTHEW RICHARD WIETERS

MATTHEW RICHARD WIETERS

MATTHEW RICHARD WIETERS

MATTHEW RICHARD WIETERS

MATTHEW RICHARD WIETERS

That was about as huge as it gets. He's had some big hits this year, even though his overall numbers are mediocre.

His issues are correctable. He's dropping his shoulders and the bat head on balls and popping up alot.. but he's won a two games of the top of my head.. one against LAA and tonight. Then a couple in which he's given the go ahead RBI. WAR is just not kind to him this year when you consider Jason Castro has a higher WAR.

Buck on MW:

“What doesn’t surprise me and it’s a little thing. Matt took a ball right in the kisser tonight and I’ve seen a lot of people come out of the game. We would have taken him out of the game, mostly because he took one in the same place last night. To turn around and ...

“I was talking to John (Russell) today. He goes out and catches the pitcher who’s starting. He’s on the field at 6:15. He’s catching 100-plus ballgames. And sometimes I’m amazed that catchers are able to do anything offensively with the challenge that the game presents physically behind the plate. He blocks balls, he’s always there for us. We appreciate him every day, anybody who catches, but especially the number of games Matt’s caught for us.

“He’s been a rock. Regardless of whether he hit a home run to win a ballgame or not. This guy came off elbow surgery and now he’s catching almost every day. I thought about it at the time. Getting hit like that is tough. I went in right after he came in to make sure he was OK. And Richie (Bancells), he watches him like a hawk. Have you seen the replay of it? That’s the kind of one that goes straight down. That’s tough. See how he is tomorrow. “

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/08/game-played-on-field-ends-differently-than-paper-version.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

His issues are correctable. He's dropping his shoulders and the bat head on balls and popping up alot.. but he's won a two games of the top of my head.. one against LAA and tonight. Then a couple in which he's given the go ahead RBI. WAR is just not kind to him this year when you consider Jason Castro has a higher WAR.

Its more than that. he has had several this season.

Opening day against the Twins was one.

Then, the one against the Yankees in early June.

Thats at least 4 and I think I am forgetting a couple.

o

DO NOT:

1) ) Tug on Superman's cape.

2) ) Spit into the wind.

3) ) Pull the mask off the Ol' Lone Ranger.

4) ) Run on Matthew Richard Wieters.

o

5) ) Stray too far off of 1st base while Matthew Richard Wieters is catching.

Do we really need to refer to him as "Matthew Richard Wieters?"

No, but if the thread title has his full name in it, what do you care?

Matt's middle name is after his father, Richard Wieters, a 5th round pick of the Braves in 1977 who got as far as AA as a pitcher before fizzling out.

Archived