Thank You, Matthew Richard Wieters

OFFNY

Uhhh...here's the more realistic answer. If Wieters keeps on the same pace or even remotely close to it....dude will get paid. A one-year QO will be a joke compared to what he lands.

Oh, I couldn't agree more. There seems to be no shortage of teams willing to hand out multi-year retail contracts for players who have exceeded their prime. I don't expect the Orioles to be among them in this case, but if they get burnt a second time on the QO I won't be among the critics.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, I couldn't agree more. There seems to be no shortage of teams willing to hand out multi-year retail contracts for players who have exceeded their prime. I don't expect the Orioles to be among them in this case, but if they get burnt a second time on the QO I won't be among the critics.

Seeing as how he has performed this year and gotten some HUGE hits at pretty opportune moments...I don't think Buck or the FO would agree with that assessment.

As it turned out we're pretty fortunate it's worked out the way it has.

Seeing as how he has performed this year and gotten some HUGE hits at pretty opportune moments...I don't think Buck or the FO would agree with that assessment.

As it turned out we're pretty fortunate it's worked out the way it has.

Very fortunate indeed. A questionable business model to be sure, but it would be unseemly to complain too loudly at this particular moment.

Wieters has had some huge hits at opportune moments. Fangraphs has him at second in clutch behind CD and several positions ahead of Paul Janish at 6th. That fraud Adam Jones can do no better than 15th.

There are 8 catchers with 180 PA or greater ahead of Wieters and Realmuto by this metric. Wieters is doing better than expected. If he stays healthy and continues to perform at a 100 wRC+ level or better, he might actually warrant a QO this time.

I never said he was the best catcher offensively this year. Simply that a 101 wRC+ for a catcher is a big positive for a team and well beyond the norm or average for a catcher. Realmuto, who you seemingly brought up as an example of someone not that great who is ahead of Matt (my inference), is on pace for a 3+ win season.

Also, now that stats are updated. Matt is now number seven among catchers with at least 100 PA with a 112 wRC+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some things aren't measurable by advanced metrics. Wieters' presence on this team, I suspect, is very important from a leadership, chemistry and morale point of view, and my eyeballs and selective memory tell me he is clutch and while his overall numbers aren't necessarily that much above average, he has had a tendency to win us games by peppering his best moments into the most clutch of situations. I think he has been a big part of team success so far this year.

Some things aren't measurable by advanced metrics. Wieters' presence on this team, I suspect, is very important from a leadership, chemistry and morale point of view, and my eyeballs and selective memory tell me he is clutch and while his overall numbers aren't necessarily that much above average, he has had a tendency to win us games by peppering his best moments into the most clutch of situations. I think he has been a big part of team success so far this year.

Fwiw the advanced metrics are pretty kind to him this season, at least regarding his offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

On Sunday in TOR, the sac fly, the play on the dribbler in front of plate (doing 180 and throwing to first) and the play off the back wall after WP and throw to Davis at first who scooped for the K!

Buck on Matt:

Wieters said recently his foot injury was no excuse if he missed any pitches that became wild pitches. Is Wieters’ foot getting better as he gets further removed from the original injury?

“Matt is not the type of guy that is going to broadcast stuff and let you know every ounce of discomfort,” Showalter said. “Just like everybody out there. I’m sure Toronto has some. No, we obviously wouldn’t put him out there if we thought it was a challenge for him. Some of the pitches were so far out of the zone, I don’t know if anyone could have caught them.”

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2016/07/showalter-on-wieters-starting-all-three-in-toronto-plus-game-update.html

o

(vs. RANGERS, August, 2nd)

NUMBER 10

MATTHEW RICHARD WIETERS

MATTHEW RICHARD WIETERS

MATTHEW RICHARD WIETERS

MATTHEW RICHARD WIETERS

MATTHEW RICHARD WIETERS

MATTHEW RICHARD WIETERS

MATTHEW RICHARD WIETERS

(vs. RANGERS, 8/03)

A 2-out, 2-RBI single in the bottom of the 1st inning to give the Orioles a 3-1 lead.

DO NOT:

1) ) Tug on Superman's cape.

2) ) Spit into the wind.

3) ) Pull the mask off the Ol' Lone Ranger.

4) ) Run on Matthew Richard Wieters.

That throw by Matt literally sucked the life and hope out of the Rangers. Huge!

He won the game - got the big hit in the first and the great defensive play in the 9th.

Having said that... let's try to sign Wilson Ramos in the offseason. Matt's got an 82 OPS+, and he often looks worn out. Ramos is 2 years younger and has an OPS+ of 140, but I get the feeling he's not going to get paid like a catcher with a 140 OPS+.

Archived