Ubaldo Jimenez Today, 2016

OFFNY

My theory, for what it's worth (probably nothing): Ubaldo was so excited about becoming an American citizen that he forgot -- yes, he still has to pitch a baseball game. Seeing all the balls flying out of the park were good reminders, so he settled down. I was at the game, and the entire atmosphere was electric. Seeing all those clutch hits at the end (none which were HRs), and then that final relay to the plate. The place went nuts after that.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My theory, for what it's worth (probably nothing): Ubaldo was so excited about becoming an American citizen that he forgot -- yes, he still has to pitch a baseball game. Seeing all the balls flying out of the park were good reminders, so he settled down. I was at the game, and the entire atmosphere was electric. Seeing all those clutch hits at the end (none which were HRs), and then that final relay to the plate. The place went nuts after that.

Clutch hits at the end of the game? In the 8th, we had one infield single. We had two walks and an HBP.

Could have easily pulled a Gallardo and just wilted. But man he turned it around and saved the bullpen during a weekend that could need a lot. We don't know how Tillman will respond with his second start coming off the DL and Miley being an absolute dumpster fire lately.

Ubaldo's last 5 starts: 3.28 ERA .181/.224/.331 - .555 OPS, 35 2/3 IP, averaging 7 IP/start, 25 SO, 6 BB, 23 H, 5 HR, 0.813 WHIP

That's:

1.3 HR/9

6.3 SO/9

1.5 BB/9

5.8 H/9

...that includes starts against: Nationals, Blue Jays, Rays (twice), Tigers

Hope he keeps it up for another 5-6 weeks. ;)

What is Ubaldo doing (or not doing) at the start of games that he then turns around in the second or third inning? It seems to me that this has to be an identifiable and fixable (or at least improvable) problem. Is Ramon Martinez around?

I feel like in general our starters don't do well at the start of a game.

Lineups are constructed to maximize the chance of scoring in the first inning. You are guaranteed to be facing their best hitters. But the O's seem to be especially prone to getting behind early.

The 2016 Orioles have been hit with this twofold. Our pitchers are prone to getting off to rocky starts, and our bats seem to not really get into gear until they've seen a guy once. Bad combo.

o

3 OUTS: 2 Strikeouts, 1 Groundout

RICHARD JOSEPH HILL oo (vs. NATIONALS, 10/13) oo [N.L.D.S., Game Five]

IP:l 1

H:;; 0 ll

R:l) 0

BB:)0

SO:)2

Pitches: 16 (10 Strikes, 6 Balls)

2016 ERA: 2.12

PITCHES BY INNING

16 (10 Strikes, 6 Balls)

01 (01 Strikes, 0 Balls)

01 (01 Strikes, 0 Balls)

01 (01 Strikes, 0 Balls)

01 (01 Strikes, 0 Balls)

01 (01 Strikes, 0 Balls)

Ubaldo made it interesting throughout his outing. It's a shame Brach and Davis messed things up, but Ubaldo set the table for what eventually happened. He kept us in the game while he was on the mound, but when you keep putting runners on, someone's going to score eventually.

Ubaldo made it interesting throughout his outing. It's a shame Brach and Davis messed things up, but Ubaldo set the table for what eventually happened. He kept us in the game while he was on the mound, but when you keep putting runners on, someone's going to score eventually.

If the offense only knew how to score runs it wouldn't be lights out as soon as we allow a run.

Are you kidding me? In no way is this loss on Ubaldo. He put two runners on with 1 out.

Ubaldo was just fine. Brach and Wieters had a horrible miscommunication at the worst moment, Davis threw the ball away, and then Brach gave up a 3 run home run on their #9 hitter. I guess you could say he set the table for the loss if you assume the bullpen should allow every inherited runner to score. I say he pitched well enough to win.

Are you kidding me? In no way is this loss on Ubaldo. He put two runners on with 1 out.

Ubaldo was just fine. Brach and Wieters had a horrible miscommunication at the worst moment, Davis threw the ball away, and then Brach gave up a 3 run home run on their #9 hitter. I guess you could say he set the table for the loss if you assume the bullpen should allow every inherited runner to score. I say he pitched well enough to win.

I didn't mean to suggest I put the loss on Ubaldo. This thread follows how well he pitched in each game -- it's not about other players. I'm just saying he escaped a lot of jams and he put two on with nobody out in the 6th. He bears some responsibility for the two runners he put on base with nobody out, and he was somewhat fortunate not to have allowed any runs before the 6th. Certainly Brach, Davis and the offense were more immediate causes of the loss.

I didn't mean to suggest I put the loss on Ubaldo. This thread follows how well he pitched in each game -- it's not about other players. I'm just saying he escaped a lot of jams and he put two on with nobody out in the 6th. He bears some responsibility for the two runners he put on base with nobody out, and he was somewhat fortunate not to have allowed any runs before the 6th. Certainly Brach, Davis and the offense were more immediate causes of the loss.

I would not say Ubaldo was even a contributing cause. He was not perfect but his line was zero earned runs and that is the line he deserved. If we had won the game it would have been in large part due to Ubaldo keeping BOS off the board for 5+ innings and leaving the game in a winnable situation.

Archived