Ubaldo Jimenez Today, 2016

OFFNY

I would not say Ubaldo was even a contributing cause. He was not perfect but his line was zero earned runs and that is the line he deserved. If we had won the game it would have been in large part due to Ubaldo keeping BOS off the board for 5+ innings and leaving the game in a winnable situation.
Ubaldo pitched well and left the game with a well-deserved standing ovation. But all he got was a big "L" by this name. :(

The Grand Poobah of the Ubaldo Jimenez Fan Club :smile11::clap:

I wonder if Chris Davis and Brad Brach will need Fan Clubs after this one.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would not say Ubaldo was even a contributing cause. He was not perfect but his line was zero earned runs and that is the line he deserved. If we had won the game it would have been in large part due to Ubaldo keeping BOS off the board for 5+ innings and leaving the game in a winnable situation.

With runners on 1st and 2nd with nobody out, there's a 61% chance that at least one run will score. The average number of runs scored in that situation is 1.44. So I don't see how Ubaldo is not a contributing cause. You might say he was unlucky that the bullpen and defense didn't do the job after he left, and you'd be right. But you also could say that the defense bailed him out twice while he was in the game.

With runners on 1st and 2nd with nobody out, there's a 61% chance that at least one run will score. The average number of runs scored in that situation is 1.44. So I don't see how Ubaldo is not a contributing cause. You might say he was unlucky that the bullpen and defense didn't do the job after he left, and you'd be right. But you also could say that the defense bailed him out twice while he was in the game.
Which is why baseball is basically a team effort.

o

15 out of the 20 outs that Jimenez recorded came via the ground ball and the strikeout.

20 OUTS: 10 Groundouts, 5 Strikeouts, 2 Foulouts, 2 Flyouts, 1 Lineout

UBALDO JIMENEZ GARCIA oo (vs. BLUE JAYS, 9/29)

IP:l 6.67

H:;; 1 ll(1 Single)

R:l) 0

BB:)3

SO:)5

Pitches: 116 (71 Strikes, 45 Balls)

2016 ERA: 5.44

PITCHES BY INNING

23 (13 Strikes, 10 Balls)

23 (15 Strikes, 81 Balls)

15 (91 Strikes, 61 Balls)

13 (81 Strikes, 51 Balls)

19 (12 Strikes, 71 Balls)

17 (10 Strikes, 71 Balls)

61 (41 Strikes, 21 Balls) *

* Jimenez recorded 2 outs before departing in the 7th inning.

o

15 out of the 20 outs that Jimenez recorded came via the ground ball and the strikeout.

20 OUTS: 10 Groundouts, 5 Strikeouts, 2 Foulouts, 2 Flyouts, 1 Lineout

UBALDO JIMENEZ GARCIA oo (vs. BLUE JAYS, 9/29)

IP:l 6.67

H:;; 1 ll(1 Single)

R:l) 0

BB:)3

SO:)5

Pitches: 116 (71 Strikes, 45 Balls)

2016 ERA: 5.44

PITCHES BY INNING

23 (13 Strikes, 10 Balls)

23 (15 Strikes, 81 Balls)

15 (91 Strikes, 61 Balls)

13 (81 Strikes, 51 Balls)

19 (12 Strikes, 71 Balls)

17 (10 Strikes, 71 Balls)

61 (41 Strikes, 21 Balls) *

* Jimenez recorded 2 outs before departing in the 7th inning.

The man has turned into a freaking TANK in September!! What a clutch performance! UJ's definitely got my vote for WC starter now!

Biggest game he has pitched as an Oriole. And to think the organization said publicly they were considering releasing him, and probably the majority on the board wanted him DFA. I absolutely would not have opposed that move at the time. Now he has had 7 solid starts in a row and all of a sudden he is our hottest pitcher.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ubaldo Jimenez since the Orioles reworked his delivery in mid-August: 7 GS, 2.45 ERA, 0.86 WHIP, 5 quality starts, team 5-2 in his starts</p>— Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) <a href="

">September 30, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ubaldo Jimenez since the Orioles reworked his delivery in mid-August: 7 GS, 2.45 ERA, 0.86 WHIP, 5 quality starts, team 5-2 in his starts</p>— Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) <a href="
">September 30, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Who reworked it? Who fixed him?

Archived